Happy Buy Nothing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Buy Nothing Day

Just wanted to wish everyone the best on one of the few holidays I actually celebrate. For those of you who are unfamiliar it go here.
    http://www.adbusters.org/bnd
    "A good deed’s like pissing yourself in dark pants. Warm feeling but no one notices." - Jacob Taylor

A little strange, but if that's how you feel, ok.

I think that MTV not allowing the group to buy airtime was just a natural extension of the group's motto about the no buy day, and MTV just followed through on the other end of the equation, NOT ALLOWING TO BUY DAY.

Comment

It reminds me of activists who want to punish the Oil Companies for high gas prices and say " Don't buy gas today!", only to buy gas/oil/diesel the following day! ( just more of it). Or Wal-mart for low prices and dismantling the smaller stores only to purchase these items anyway. Let me say that I am a fan of Wal-mart and make trips weekly ( I enjoy paying less). I need gas to go to work so I buy the gas, no matter the price. Just my thoughts!

Be Safe,

Hank
      " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Hank - we need gas or petrol as we call it here ............. no1 has given a hybrid car a $5k gov't rebate or anything as an incentive to not use a car. I know from my trips to LA, the train that runs from Orange County up the freeway into LA was a huge step forward to remove cars but it is still bandaid treatment catching from previous decades of abuse. Same as in Australia -new suburbs, no local shops or transport so you need a car and most people need to drive in some petrol driven vehicle every week to get to work so we are back to square one.

You can't have your cake and eat it to - as the old saying goes.
        "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

The guys who started Buy Nothing Day were trying to change things. But they will fail. My observance of BND is more of a personal thing to remind myself of all the money I waste on things I do not need, and to keep me from getting caught up in the Christmas feeding frenzy. I primarily posted about it here, and send BND cards to my friends to bring attention to the ad-busters. They are a little out there for my preference but they raise a lot of valid points and have done a better job than anyone else I have found at raising awareness about the CMF.
          "A good deed’s like pissing yourself in dark pants. Warm feeling but no one notices." - Jacob Taylor

Comment

Makes no difference to me...I wouldn't go shopping on Black Friday if you paid me. But then again, malls to me are like garlic to werewolves. I'd rather gargle with broken glass again than go shopping in one.

Comment

Oh come on now,

OccamsRazor, quit beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X