My New Toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Toy

I think most will agree that Christmas as it was when I was a kid has changed dramatically. It has turned from a glad to get anything to a give me the latest gizmo the manufactures tell you that you can’t live without. So my family has decided to go with the flow reluctantly. Now rather than buy someone something that you think they will like only to see it on a table on the receivers front lawn near a yard sale sign. For the last couple years we have been buying our selves our own gifts. At Christmas dinner we tell all what we purchased no matter how frivolous or expensive. It works out well in the respect that if a family member is tight on money he/she won’t feel bad that they couldn’t afford a gift for all. And if anyone doesn’t like his gift they can only blame themselves.

This year I jumped the gun a little due to the success of our Patriots and purchased a 37 inch LCD Resolution 1920 X 1080 Sharp Aquos. Most my life Sharp was considered the dredge of the electronics products and only sold in stores like Grants, JM Fields or K Mart. I usually purchased Sony or Kenwood stuff. Well after a lot of review reading Sharp had outstanding reviews. Although still skeptical I ordered it through New Egg. I paid for 3 to 5 business day shipping and it arrived next day. Unreal and cool!! Since the arrival was very premature I didn’t have time to get the cable box HD upgrade. So I found a set of rabbit ears and fired it up. There are no words to describe the picture although amazing or fantastic could be said as understatements. Even the non HD channels were great. If you are thinking about getting an LCD or Plasma TV this year then do yourself a favor and don’t go to your local Best Buy or Circuit City as they all look great being feed by a store Beta disk for that very reason. Read what other people are saying about their sets. Pros and Cons.
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
    http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Buying your own presents kinda' devalues the point of Christmas doesn't it?

FWIW I hope you enjoy that awesome LCD!

* looks over @ 69cm CRT *
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks I will. But as far as devaluation of XMas I don't think that is possible. If you were around in the 30s 40s 50s and could know the magic of the Christmas season. I wasn't either well maybe the 50s. In those days Santa came in a sled with tons of magic that made your mind run away. The slightest noise on the roof had to be Santa or his reindeer. Some how you thought all the animals celebrated Christmas in some way. Your towns management allowed Nativity displayed on public property. It wasn't Christmas if you didn't sit down with your family and watch The Miracle on 34th St. Or the one with Ebenezer Scrooge and Tiny Tim.

Santa never arrived in a Mall parking lot in a chopper. or repel-ed down the side of a building only to get his beard jammed in the repel gear to the horror of the little kids and Micheal Jackson. Had to be rescued by the fire dept.
      In October the Christmas music was already playing in Home Depot. In fact I am politically incorrect calling it Christmas as the new name seems to be Holiday. I feel like we are celebrating Jazz singer Billy Holidays birthday. Nope I don't see how we could have devalued this Hallmark moment any more than it already is. The Grinch that stole Christmas. Bah Humbug!
      THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
      THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
      http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

I agree. The only thing I like about Christmas is the music & the lights. Other wise it's all to commercial, to much about gifts. Being a Deist leaning agnostic, you'd think I'd feel differently. But hey, there's a reason for the season, and it ain't video games and clothes, toys and jewelry. I'm not a bah humbug that thinks we should have no presents, but the whole thing is so commercialized. Buy me a few books, and I'm a happy camper.
        sigpic
        Rocket Science
        Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
        One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Interestingly, I'm an anti-theist, but the Christmas season really does wonders for my spirits. It's always my favorite time of the year. I can't even explain why - it's almost magical, for me.

Comment

Maelstrom ........... let me just say - The Yanks know how do their malls and homes up for Xmas - you are all legendary and really go into house decorating that is done first class. It has become a big thing in Australia in the last 10 years but of course when you see Easter stuff in January and Xmas stuff in October ........... you need to wonder - how soon is too soon for these retail giants to get every dollar ?

Whether you believe in Christmas or not ............. it is all about family and friends time - it is about eating too much and saying "I am never going to eat again" only to back up again for us Aussies that night on the way to someone's house. Boxing Day sales (26th) suck big time as it was the day you saw other family and friends and I recall working 16 hours 1 Boxing Day Sale - just to ensure my employer had more $$ to spend on bonuses for the butt kissers above me.

Hey I bought a Sharp TV from K-mart that was on special - it was a big LCD model that was too big to fit into my car so I had to remove it from the box and SQUEEZE the bloody thing into the front seat before carrying it outside in the light rain to get it inside my house - then to find the bedroom was not big enough for it - so had to move things around. A nice little present for my b/day for me and I can't complain (only when I lose the remote).
            "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Chucky..
              I got my sharp aquos about 6 monthes ago. Your right it is outstanding. High-def is definately alot better than the old crt. Works great with the PS3 as well. Enjoy

Comment

In case anyone is interested, my jobs' Black Friday special is a Sanyo PDP-42H2W HDTV ready plasma screen- "42, 1024x1024, 16:9, includes a stand and 20w speakers, for $699.99.

It's already on the website, if anyone's interested.
                The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
                  Buying your own presents kinda' devalues the point of Christmas doesn't it?
                  I somewhat disagree. You have to treat yourself too!

Be Safe,

Hank
                  " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X