X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• integrator97
    replied
    Originally posted by officerchick View Post
    Hee hee , I started a thread about that very thing this morning. That was my idea, and I'm soliciting for other ideas.
    Great minds run in parallel.

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    VOX digital audio recorders are dirt cheap and give up to 96 hours of recording on 2 x AA batteries. When I have been caught out in the field I use 2 x Micro Cassette tapes and a digial recorder for short interviews (triple deck is cumbersome to carry around with me unless I am using my car).

Leave a comment:

• officerchick
    replied
    Originally posted by integrator97 View Post
    You could use the old spy trick, scotch tape on the door edge, if the tape is broken or loose.....
    Hee hee , I started a thread about that very thing this morning. That was my idea, and I'm soliciting for other ideas.

Leave a comment:

• integrator97
    replied
    Originally posted by officerchick View Post
    The camera won't work for financial and placement reasons, but you just gave me a great idea. I bet I could find a sound-activated voice recorder and set that up in the living room. Aside from the hours of barking (2 big dogs) sure to be on it, that might tell me if she's sneaking back in after we leave.
    You could use the old spy trick, scotch tape on the door edge, if the tape is broken or loose.....

Leave a comment:

• officerchick
    replied
    The camera won't work for financial and placement reasons, but you just gave me a great idea. I bet I could find a sound-activated voice recorder and set that up in the living room. Aside from the hours of barking (2 big dogs) sure to be on it, that might tell me if she's sneaking back in after we leave.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    soory to necro...

OC, Texas law, as far as I can tell, allows you to record what goes on in your own home. It is not public domain and, therefore, you can install cameras, recorders, whatever you wish. One caution, just buy one of thsoe signs that says 'smile, you're on camera.' your partner may think it's a joke, or not, either way, it should clears you...not only would you be within your rights a s property owner, but you technically provided a warning, even if it isn't taken seriously. I do the same type of thing at work with voice recording. I warn that the person is being recorded. IF they don't object, then I am cleared...

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    Have you ever thought of getting a 2nd litter box so you can quickly swap it over for the fresh one ? It might eliminate some of the "what-ifs" from your partner and make things easier to deal with that trouble-some feline. Just a thought as we have feral cat problems big time in the bush and in the city as people dump unwanted kittens. A factory I would work at sometimes had a roaming group of some 50 cats and every time a litter was found it was taken to the shelter down the road. Rat problems were never an issue around the factories except for this gang of cats.

Leave a comment:

• CameraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Security Consultant View Post
    You're pretty much free to post what you want here as long as it's not nude, lewd, lascivious.
    See, this is why I don't post much.

Leave a comment:

• integrator97
    replied
    State laws vary, but federally speaking, in public places, you must post a notice if audio recording on premises. People have a resonable expectation of privacy in conversations.

Privately, Arkansas law says that at least one person in a conversation must know it's being recorded.

Video is different. Basically, you cannot record where people have an expectation of privacy, such as locker rooms or bathrooms. In a store or mall, cameras see what everyone else sees, so you have no expectation of privacy.

Leave a comment:

• officerchick
    replied
    Originally posted by Security Consultant View Post
    You're pretty much free to post what you want here as long as it's not nude, lewd, lascivious.
    I can promise you, it will never be nude.

Thanks for the support. I woke up with a song (can't remember the name to save my life) stuck in my head: "But I don't believe it, don't believe it..."

Hmmm. Think someone's tryin' ta tell me somethin'?
    (not being religious, etc... By "someone" I also mean my subconscious, oogily-boogily, super-ninja spy sense )
    Last edited by officerchick; 11-17-2007, 10:47 AM. Reason: clarification

Leave a comment:

• Curtis Baillie
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LP9999
    replied
    That's why we're in the "Off Topic (non-security issues) forum. We all need a break from the daily grind. And what better way than to give someone else advice about their issue or posting something funny or playing a game, etc.... We all need interaction other than work topics.

Leave a comment:

• officerchick
    replied
    bpdblue, thanks for the caution. That is something I've been wondering about.

The animals are 2 dogs and a passle of kitties (4). What's weird about it, though, is that there hasn't been any behavioral change in them towards her. None of them cringe, growl, duck, flinch or avoid her. They're all just as affectionate (and demanding!) as always. I've seen the effects of animal abuse, and I don't really see it here.

We discussed it last night, and what she told me makes sense with what I know of the animals. Anyone who has cats knows that when changing the litterbox it's a race to see who can soil it first. We have one who's especially obnoxious about this. She said she picked him up and tossed him out, and he lightly hit the couch. I could see this either way - she's lying to put me off, or that's really what happened. I love that cat, but he's a nuisance sometimes.

Honestly, this is probably beyond the scope of this forum. I hate even having to consider bugging my own home, I hate the idea of her hurting them, and I hate the idea of having to end it. Don't get me wrong, safety of defenseless ones ALWAYS comes first. Ah, well. Don't mean to get so far off security topics.

Leave a comment:

• SecTrainer
    replied
    You know, the real problem here is that you also don't know where, exactly, this might be happening. If you use video, what's the chance the camera would be where it's happening - and pointed in the right direction, etc.

Audio recording might be just as effective because animals will usually make some kind of noise if they are struck hard enough to be hurt. Plus, your partner might well be heard yelling at them, etc.

Or, you could use audio to cover areas not covered by video.

Or, you could just act preemptively and get rid of your partner, given that you have these suspicions. What kind of a person must she be...and just look what she's putting you through! If I felt I had to put cameras around my house to "catch" my other half doing something as despicable as cruelty to animals, one of us would be packing long before I got to the point of sneaking around planting bugs. Your intuition is warning you about something here, and I'm guessing that it's about lots more than just the animals.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 11-15-2007, 09:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JB diligence
    replied
    What types of animals are we talking about here? Out of curiosity. Thing is, is that just as we humans develop different mannerisms and lose trust in people after abuse so will animals, it's sad to watch a dog shy away. And people wonder why good pets go bad and rip the mail man's arm off...

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X