More little things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More little things

The last couple days as I went out to my truck the windows had a film of ice on them. Scraping was not getting it and the deicer was empty and would only do the front window. So here's my question why after all these years and all the technical stuff on vehicles hasn't someone come up with a system that would come on for 5 mins before I head out to go to work? One that would work the same as they have now but the car does not have to be running for it to work. I would be happy to pay the extra $50.00 for the motor cycle size battery that would be used to power this system. And besides all the windows how about a wire going to the driver side door lock to melt any ice there. I thought about getting a remote starter but with the price of gas nope!
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
    http://www.boondocksaints.com/

You could put in a remote starter for warming up the car before you even get in it. I would think it would also warm up the door locks at some point.

Comment

Man I would love to have snow and a white Xmas but I don't think I could live with that everyday. You can use a deicing spray on your window you replace each week - sorry but it is too hot for that here.
      "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Some luxury vehicles have heated locks, if I remember correctly, and heated windshields. Its not that they can't do these things, its that they can sell them as luxury items and make more money.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I personally own a 2006 CVPI and am getting a Viper 5900 installed in it. I hate cold cars in the winter and the range on the 5900 is amazing. I also have factory heated mirrors, which helps some though you have to hit the defrost button inside to activate them.
          "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

My car (brought it from Alaska) has a block heater, oil pan heater, battery warming blanket and interior heater installed. Since it doesn't get all that cold 'round here, I usually plug in the block heater and interior heater in the winter, below 35* r so. The block heater keeps the engine at around 100* or so, for a warmer car first thing...The interior heater is your best bet. It's like one of those $20 ceramic heaters that you can buy at the auto parts place, but I'm not too sure how it was installed to step down the voltage. Warms up the inside to around 50-60*, and keeps the windows and jambs frost/ice/snow free.

Last edited by OccamsRazor; 11-01-2007, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OccamsRazor View Post
              My car (brought it from Alaska) has a block heater, oil pan heater, battery warming blanket and interior heater installed. Since it doesn't get all that cold 'round here, I usually plug in the block heater and interior heater in the winter, below 35* r so. The block heater keeps the engine at around 100* or so, for a warmer car first thing...The interior heater is your best bet. It's like one of those $20 ceramic heaters that you can buy at the auto parts place, but I'm not too sure how it was installed to step down the voltage. Warms up the inside to around 50-60*, and keeps the windows and jambs frost/ice/snow free.

That little radar looking heater would suit me. What is the brand name so I can Google it and get one asap. I'll have to figure how to adapt a timer so it will go on before I go out side. Maybe a small battery operated alarm clock will do the trick.

BTW about your signature I can't imagine a nation without arms either but I'll bet they are real good at soccer
              THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
              THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
              http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
                That little radar looking heater would suit me. What is the brand name so I can Google it and get one asap. I'll have to figure how to adapt a timer so it will go on before I go out side. Maybe a small battery operated alarm clock will do the trick.

BTW about your signature I can't imagine a nation without arms either but I'll bet they are real good at soccer

It's from Cabelas, http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...127&hasJS=true

(Good LORD, what a URL)

If that doesn't work just search Cabelas for a 12-Volt Ceramic Heater.

Use a 'heavy duty outdoors timer', like this one:
                http://www.westsidewholesale.com/ind...5&CATEGORY=377

I have this exact one, but in the 'water resistant' model.

Comment

I recall a close friend who lived in Anchorage who used to do LP for Kmart or Walmart - 1 of them. She would ride to work through the trails on her snow-mobile if the roads were bad and make it in about the same time. She showed me pics of the heated blankets her husband used to warm the car engine up before he left for work and how their garage had a built in fan heater to warm the exterior of their cars so they could start without any issues.
                  "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

I have heated seats - Love them! On heated blocks - I have a relative who had this option. The cord failed on a very cold winter night. The house, along with the car, burned to the ground one night.
                    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Security Consultant View Post
                      I have heated seats - Love them! On heated blocks - I have a relative who had this option. The cord failed on a very cold winter night. The house, along with the car, burned to the ground one night.
                      That happened up in AK while I was working there too, though not as bad. Heard the FD toned out and went along, as I always look for an excuse for a code run. Got there before the FD (all vollies) and found a fully involved car and a flaming extension cord. I ran over and unplugged it where it was licking the outlet in the mudroom of the house.

Talking to the owner, she stated she was just using an old extension cord she'd had her TV plugged into for years.

Folks, it ain't rocket surgery. If you have to plug your car in, screw up your courage and replace your extension cord in the autumn, EVERY year. Use one of the 'Heavy Duty' outdoor ones, the kind with lighted receptacles on both ends...These kinds are usually available in fluorescent colors for easy visibility in the snow. Check it every week or so while it's being used, and replace it if it's frayed, torn, folded, spindled or mutilated.

And for God's sake, REMEMBER it's plugged in. I know a lot of people who forgot and bought new cords, or worse yet, block heaters. Loop a length over your side view mirror if it helps you.

/rant

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X