Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tattedupboy
    replied
    I guess that previously my problem was not necessarily choosing between sewing and ironing (I knew all along that sewing was the way to go), but the cost of it. The previous place I patronized charged me $5 per patch (ouch!). I am getting my newest coat out today from a place that only charged me $2 per patch ($4 for a security back patch).

Leave a comment:

• Hank1
    replied
    Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
    I take them to my mom and she sews them on

She used to sew my dad's army uniform so she's a pro!
    You can never go wrong when mom sews with love ! Ummm, I'm going to call my mom now! LOL!

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    I take them to my mom and she sews them on

She used to sew my dad's army uniform so she's a pro!

Leave a comment:

• Unit6
    replied
    I never keep "Issued gear" unless i cant find it or its far to expansive. Companies are well known for giving out second rate equipment.

Example, My Issued brast dept badge was flat and didnt have a badge number on it, so i ordered the same badge same lettering with curviture and my Number. Oh i also bought 3 of them, one for my uniform,Jacket and hat.

Example, the jacket the issued was so not suted for cold weather i went out and bought a police lether jacket with a removeable liner, yes it set me back a few bills but thats a jacket i have forever now. plus im warm.

Example, DUTY BELT... they issued my a cheap high gloss gold buckle LawPro Duty belt with no pouches or keepers or anything. after wearing it for a total of 5 minutes i ordered a Basketweave Safariland belt with everything i needed. now i own that for ever. also the belt buckle they issued didnt match the Uniform hardware.

thats not with my current company, that was my last employer but all of the stuff i got i needed very little from my current employer saving them money.

Keeping issues gear is fine if your not serious about your job. ask any serious cop about their Duty Rig, i bet they have a touch of their own $ in it.

Leave a comment:

• Maelstrom
    replied
    Our company provides pre-patched uniforms, but I'd sew them on if they didn't... I do know of someone using a hot glue technique but that was for their wet weather gear

BTW shop around for your alterations/sewing quotes... not everyone will try to get you to pay for their next trip to Barbados LOL

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    I just saw a jacket for security that was in a surplus store with clear pockets for ID cards and for inserting patches into. It looked good but I am sure over time the clear windows would fall apart at the stitches.

Leave a comment:

• FireEMSPolice
    replied
    The uniform place I use charges $2.00 per patch. Does not matter what size. The alteration place up the road charges some ungodly amount for the patches depending on size of the patch.

Leave a comment:

• The Hussard
    replied
    all our patch are with back velcro

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Sew it. I just took it to a local dry cleaning shop that also does alterations. Ironing it on just doesn't hold up, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Curtis Baillie
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    Hmm. Never worked for an employer that didn't sew patches on. The iron-on would work, but it would eventually come off due to wear and tear.

I do know someone who iron-ed on velcro, then had removable patches. This was because the company did not issue coats, and they did not want the ability to remove the patches while going to and from work.
    Just like the Army now does.

Leave a comment:

• CAPTAIN KOOLAID
    replied
    How do you put your patches on?

I sew mine on old saying you want it done right do it yourself.

funny story I worked for a company afew years go. Had officer X use clear tape hold his patch on so plz don't be him.

Leave a comment:

• Hank1
    replied
    I take mine to a Tailor when needed.

Be Safe,

Hank

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Hmm. Never worked for an employer that didn't sew patches on. The iron-on would work, but it would eventually come off due to wear and tear.

I do know someone who iron-ed on velcro, then had removable patches. This was because the company did not issue coats, and they did not want the ability to remove the patches while going to and from work.

Leave a comment:

• davis002
    replied
    I don't know how much they charge in your area, but up here they charge around $2.00 a patch. I don't see how paying a few dollars to get something done right will break the bank.

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    WOW most of this stuff is done for you by the employer but I have used my own gear and added velcro backed company patches for the likes of coats and wet weather gear. Try a dry-cleaner and for leather coats / vests I go to a shoe repair place for them to use their heavy duty manual sewing machines. Iron on stuff will eventually fade and peel off so it depends on how often, when and what you wash with as some soaps can do damage.

Just curious - how much are you paying for a set of say shoulder patches to be sewn on ? Why not consider a sewing group in a community college ?

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X