How do you put your patches on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you put your patches on?

This may seem like an unusual question, but I was wondering for those of you who purchase your own patches (ie., shoulder patches, badge patches, back patches, etc.), how do you affix them to your uniform? Do you iron them on or do you sew them on? Which do you find works better? Due to my inability to sew, I usually pay someone to sew them on for me, but I recently ordered several more, and would like not to have to go broke affixing them onto my uniform, and therefore, was thinking about ironing them on. Does ironing work just as well as sewing, or should I just stick with getting them sewn on?

WOW most of this stuff is done for you by the employer but I have used my own gear and added velcro backed company patches for the likes of coats and wet weather gear. Try a dry-cleaner and for leather coats / vests I go to a shoe repair place for them to use their heavy duty manual sewing machines. Iron on stuff will eventually fade and peel off so it depends on how often, when and what you wash with as some soaps can do damage.

Just curious - how much are you paying for a set of say shoulder patches to be sewn on ? Why not consider a sewing group in a community college ?
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

I don't know how much they charge in your area, but up here they charge around $2.00 a patch. I don't see how paying a few dollars to get something done right will break the bank.
      "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Hmm. Never worked for an employer that didn't sew patches on. The iron-on would work, but it would eventually come off due to wear and tear.

I do know someone who iron-ed on velcro, then had removable patches. This was because the company did not issue coats, and they did not want the ability to remove the patches while going to and from work.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I take mine to a Tailor when needed.

Be Safe,

Hank
          " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

How do you put your patches on?

I sew mine on old saying you want it done right do it yourself.

funny story I worked for a company afew years go. Had officer X use clear tape hold his patch on so plz don't be him.
            CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594

oh ya

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
              Hmm. Never worked for an employer that didn't sew patches on. The iron-on would work, but it would eventually come off due to wear and tear.

I do know someone who iron-ed on velcro, then had removable patches. This was because the company did not issue coats, and they did not want the ability to remove the patches while going to and from work.
              Just like the Army now does.
              Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
              Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Sew it. I just took it to a local dry cleaning shop that also does alterations. Ironing it on just doesn't hold up, IMO.
                Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

all our patch are with back velcro

Comment

The uniform place I use charges $2.00 per patch. Does not matter what size. The alteration place up the road charges some ungodly amount for the patches depending on size of the patch.
                    "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

I just saw a jacket for security that was in a surplus store with clear pockets for ID cards and for inserting patches into. It looked good but I am sure over time the clear windows would fall apart at the stitches.
                      "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Our company provides pre-patched uniforms, but I'd sew them on if they didn't... I do know of someone using a hot glue technique but that was for their wet weather gear

BTW shop around for your alterations/sewing quotes... not everyone will try to get you to pay for their next trip to Barbados LOL
                        "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

I never keep "Issued gear" unless i cant find it or its far to expansive. Companies are well known for giving out second rate equipment.

Example, My Issued brast dept badge was flat and didnt have a badge number on it, so i ordered the same badge same lettering with curviture and my Number. Oh i also bought 3 of them, one for my uniform,Jacket and hat.

Example, the jacket the issued was so not suted for cold weather i went out and bought a police lether jacket with a removeable liner, yes it set me back a few bills but thats a jacket i have forever now. plus im warm.

Example, DUTY BELT... they issued my a cheap high gloss gold buckle LawPro Duty belt with no pouches or keepers or anything. after wearing it for a total of 5 minutes i ordered a Basketweave Safariland belt with everything i needed. now i own that for ever. also the belt buckle they issued didnt match the Uniform hardware.

thats not with my current company, that was my last employer but all of the stuff i got i needed very little from my current employer saving them money.

Keeping issues gear is fine if your not serious about your job. ask any serious cop about their Duty Rig, i bet they have a touch of their own $ in it.
                          sigpic

Comment

I take them to my mom and she sews them on

She used to sew my dad's army uniform so she's a pro!
                            "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                            "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
                              I take them to my mom and she sews them on

She used to sew my dad's army uniform so she's a pro!
                              You can never go wrong when mom sews with love ! Ummm, I'm going to call my mom now! LOL!
                              " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X