Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Down time entertainment: cable or satellite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down time entertainment: cable or satellite?

I am considering what direction to take on television. After a week of study I am rather cross eyed at what these outfits are offering. So. What do you all have or prefer in regards to it? What are your rants? The pros and cons you have dealt with in the system you have.
    My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Originally posted by Echos13 View Post
    I am considering what direction to take on television. After a week of study I am rather cross eyed at what these outfits are offering. So. What do you all have or prefer in regards to it? What are your rants? The pros and cons you have dealt with in the system you have.
    Personally, neither. I haven't watched more than about 8 hours a month of TV since 2002.

My wife and son, on the other hand, watch about 2 hours a day each. Wife says satellite sucked when we had it in California, it sucked in Alaska, and she's pretty sure it would suck here.

We have cable and she's content enough with that.

Comment

My $ .02?

Go with cable...

Reason I say this, when my Wife and I were renting an apt. in town, we had cable TV with really only a minimalistic number of channels, somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 something....

When we bought our house, we were now on the outskirts of town by about 3/4 mile; meaning, the cable co. doesn't come out this far, so we went with Dish Network. Stay with me here...

We had the minimum package to start, but after a time, I wanted to get the upgrade only because I wanted the 80's music channel... Well, you can't get that without getting 15 channels of NBA basketball which I don't watch, 13 channels of NHL hockey whick I don't watch, 6 Soccer channels which I don't watch, 10 home shopping channels I don't watch, about 300 channels in Espanol and other languages that I don't need....

Sooo, each month I'm paying for all these hundreds of channels, and out of them all, I maybe watch 15 of them regularly....
      Last edited by flashlightcop509; 10-19-2007, 09:52 AM.
      “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
      "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

Down time entertainment: cable or satellite?

Hmmm satellite you have bring in dish for hurricane. But once it's over you set up the dish and have TV . With cable once lines get knocked out you have wait awhile get them repaired.
        CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594

oh ya

Comment

I currently have satellite television. It's great, until it rains and the picture is lost for several minutes up to a hour! When the weather is clear, the picture is great.
          " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

I have cable because I got a deal on the 3 services. Cable TV, high speed internet & telephone service for about $100.00 a month.
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Had em both. I'm currently with Satellite only because I got seriously pissed off at the cable company. Both work fine. Never had an issue with the picture on sat and storms. Luckily hurricanes aren't an issue here.

Comment

my dad had cable thunder storms would interfer with the signal live in california and had to affix to a sat, over texas ....... always moved every 3-4 months had to readjust the dish...

but he live where it was rabbits ears or sat or no tv. no cable where he lives..
                Its not how we die that counts.....
                Its not how we lived that counts....
                all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
                  I currently have satellite television. It's great, until it rains and the picture is lost for several minutes up to a hour! When the weather is clear, the picture is great.
                  I live in Largo (Tampa Bay) and I know this must be a PITA during the rainy season. I feel your pain!

I have cable with 2 DVR's (1 for the wife and 1 for me). Service is dependable and the price is ok because I have the 3 in 1 deal and a teacher discount for my wife.
                  Craig

Comment

Originally posted by CAPTAIN KOOLAID View Post
                    Hmmm satellite you have bring in dish for hurricane. But once it's over you set up the dish and have TV . With cable once lines get knocked out you have wait awhile get them repaired.
                    Now that's a good point.

Your dish isn't aligned well. On my directv, there is a signal meter in setup. On a nice day you can get a great picture at 60 or so. But the clouds might mess that up, and rain, well, forget it. And 60 or 70 is good enough for the contractor paid a flat rate for your free install.

But I can aim mine up to 95 to 105 or so depending on which sat band (there are 3 and you do all 3). It has to come down in buckets, a drenching downpour, to knock mine out. Maybe a couple times a year at most, for a short time. I've only had it go out twice it 4 years, but I don't watch 24/7. And I've seen problems like that with my cable, when someone knocks down a pole or box, so.....
                    sigpic
                    Rocket Science
                    Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                    One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by craig333 View Post
                      Had em both. I'm currently with Satellite only because I got seriously pissed off at the cable company. Both work fine. Never had an issue with the picture on sat and storms. Luckily hurricanes aren't an issue here.
                      Luckily, eathquakes aren't a issue for us! They aren't fun either!
                      " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Luckily, eathquakes aren't a issue for us! They aren't fun either!
                        I lived in CA for 9 years and went through several, including the '89 in San Francisco. I was stationed at Concord Naval Weapons Station across the bay and on base when it happened.

My office is next to a rock quarry, so we feel "earthquakes" at least several times a week. It is exactly the same when you're that close. Scares the bejeezus out of most people the first time they feel it.
                        sigpic
                        Rocket Science
                        Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                        One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Its all what you're used to. Tornadoes sound much scarier to me than an earthquake. Scariest thing I"ve been in is the floods.

Comment

For those who thinkCable service is more reliable. Where do you think the cable companies get the signals from?

Any one have experience with the microwave system. There is one in Montreal called Look. Apparently your receiver dish? has to have an unobstructed straight view of the transmitter. It would have been good for my old house that was along the canal with a direct view of the mountain. Would be harder in the dense part of the city I live in now.
                            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

For Satellite, I'd have to build a RF-transparent enclosure to deal with snow.

With cable I have a HD-DVR from the company... rarely if ever watch live tv, the wife and I have similar show genre interests so we just record them and watch them together when I am home from work. No commercials, because we fast forward through them
                              Last edited by Alaska Security; 11-09-2007, 05:33 PM.
                              Overmotivated and Underpaid... I'm a Security supervisors wet dream...

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X