No announcement yet.

Cheap groceries- Angel Food Ministries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More info here. (Disclaimer - the link is to another forum. I'm not endorsing, yadda yadda yadda, just sharing the info for any interested.)
    That's a direct quote. Not word for word, but the gist of it.

Comment

This is what I just picked up from the church for this month.

Dessert was a blueberry pie. Yuck.
      Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Send the pie my way, I'll take care of it for ya'! Hoping to do Angel Food next month, we weren't able to get the order in on time last month.
        That's a direct quote. Not word for word, but the gist of it.

Comment

Originally posted by officerchick View Post
          Send the pie my way, I'll take care of it for ya'! Hoping to do Angel Food next month, we weren't able to get the order in on time last month.
          We gave the blueberry pie to a friend this week. She used to live next door but failing health forced her to loose her job and eventually her home. She moved in with some friends but eventually moved in with her very elderly stepmother. She's living on less than $500 a month in disability plus food stamps plus what her disabled stepmom gets. Not much money for groceries. When she moved out of her trailor about 4 years ago she asked us to hang onto some of her stuff since she had nowhere to store it. We stacked her stuff in tote boxes in a corner of our livingroom where it's been waiting for her to pick it up. This week she finially showed up to get it.
          After loading her stuff in her car I started loading up a grocery box from our well stocked pantry. When she said she like blueberrys we knew she was taking that darn pie home. In addition to that she got all those boxes of Jiffy Blueberry Bisquit mix and the blueberry pancake mix Angel Foods keeps giving us. Then we added more stuff. Remember all the stuff I've stocked up and documented in the Cheap Meats thread? We gave her some of that.
          It was like we were a food bank. I just opend the cabnates and let her find what she wanted. You like Hormel Chilli with beans? Here are 3 cans of that. Like green beans? Have a few cans of those. What else? Carrots? Sure, lets put a couple cans of those in the box. Mac&Cheese? We got cases of it. Let's toss a few boxes in. Still some room in the box. Like Ramen? Nope? OK, let's see, Cereal? Good, here's a box of Cherrios.
          And so on......
          She left with our blueberry pie and a cardboard box full of other food so her shelf at home isn't so bare.
          One of the benefits of buying in bulk or buying multiple items and stocking your pantry is that if you have an emergency you are able to feed yourself. Another benefit is that if the emergency is someone elses' you are able to feed them. So everything worked out.
          Last edited by EMTGuard; 04-25-2009, 02:10 PM.

Comment

OK. Photo time. We are back from church.
            This is what we got this month.

1.5 lb. New York Strip Steak
            (4 x 6 oz.)
            2 lb. Chicken Breast Stir Fry
            (Boneless/Skinless Chicken
            Breast Chunks)
            2 lb. Breaded Breast Fillet
            1 lb. Steak Fajita Strips
            20 oz. Supreme Pizza
            28 oz. Jumbo Beef Patties
            With Gravy
            1 lb. All Meat Hot Dogs
            10 oz. Individually-Wrapped
            Cheese (16 slice)
            1 lb. Mixed Vegetables
            2 lb. French Fries
            12 ct. White Corn Tortillas
            1 lb. Rice
            15 oz. Peach Halves
            6 oz. Pancake Mix
            32 oz. 2% Shelf Stable Milk
            Dozen Eggs
            Dessert

By the way, dessert this month was Apple Pie. YUMM!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X