Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
    What does this cost now, EMTGuard?

Another tip: Switch to frozen vegetables. Just as nutritious and cost about half or maybe a bit more than half of what fresh veggies cost. You gotta take out a bank loan for ordinary fresh vegetables these days, and it doesn't seem to me they're as good as they used to be. I gave the grocer the title to my car last week for four yellow corn-on-the-cobs, and they were very tasteless.

Also (this is kinda funny): I was watching the NutriSystem ad last night and saw where they said their meals cost less than $3 apiece. If that's true, it's pretty cheap. I made chicken noodle soup from scratch the other day with cornbread. I put a lot of veggies in this soup, the pasta, etc. and I use a whole chicken. When I figured it out, it came to a little over $3.10 a meal. I ate a meal at McDonald's not long ago that I remember very well would have cost about $3.50 a couple of years ago and it was over $5. Anyway, less than $3 a meal is pretty good so I might call NutriSystem even though I don't need to lose weight (well, much!) and hope it's not just some ad gimmick.
    Tasteless fruits & vegetables is the wonderful byproduct of factory farms, with their hybrid crops that grow fast & big. As long as you're willing to sacrifice flavor, and probably nutrition.

Look at your store bought strawberries from the big California or Mexico farms. Huge but rarely sweet. Try strawberries from SW Missouri or NW Arkansas, where most of the strawberries came from in the '40s and '50s. Smaller but so sweet.
    sigpic
    Rocket Science
    Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
    One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

We just got back with the October 08 box. Here's what we brought home.
      Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
        The regular menu box was $30 and the meat special was $18.
        Here's everything they had for October-
        http://www.angelfoodministries.com/menu_0810en.asp
        and here is the menu for November-
        http://www.angelfoodministries.com/menu_0811en.asp
        I think you're brilliant for discovering and taking advantage of this! A Thanksgiving dinner for 4 for $30? You'd have a hard time matching that if you were a farmer and grew everything yourself.
        Last edited by SecTrainer; 10-25-2008, 12:41 PM.
        "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

EMT, you're making me jealous! I haven't been able to do AFM in several months due to transportation/location conflicts, but I plan to start in November (nevermind that I've said that about every month for about the last 5 months). I agree, Thanksgiving for $30 is incredible. Also, did you see the fruit/veggie box SecTrainer? I may have to get one of those too.
          That's a direct quote. Not word for word, but the gist of it.

Comment

Just got in from picking up the November box. Here's what our $30 got us this month.

Comment

We just picked ours up, and got one for my daughter too. The same as yours right down to the brands. We also got Little Debbie football cake snacks. They had too many, so we got 8 boxes each of 6 cake snacks. Probably cause we have a Little Debbie factory about 10 miles away.
              sigpic
              Rocket Science

One Man's Opinion

Comment

Here's what the menu for a regular box ($30) was for this month-

1.5 lb. Choice Cut Beef Roast

2 lb. Breaded Chicken Tenders

2 lb. IQF Chicken Breast

1.5 lb. Pork Chops (4 x 6 oz.)

1 lb. 80/20 Lean Beef Patties (4 x 4 oz.)

28 oz. Salisbury Steak Entreé

1 lb. All Meat Hot Dogs

1 lb. Carrots

1 lb. Green Beans

1 lb. Rice

24 oz. Steak-Cut Fries

32 oz. 2% Reduced Fat Shelf Stable Milk

7.5 oz. Mac and Cheese

14 oz. Chicken Broth

7 oz. Corn Muffin Mix

Dozen Eggs

Dessert Item
                Here's what it looked like when we got home and unpacked the box.

By the way, The food isn't the only thing in the box each month. Remembr that this is a church based program and is a way they minister to others. So every month they include a 6-8 page magazine titled "The Servant". Each church can add other items based on it's budget. This month we got a New Testament bible, a pamphlet from Billy Graham titled "Christmas, Steps t Peace with God", a cookbook put togethr by the church where we pick up our box, a Christmas card done by one of the children from the church, a calander for the month of January 2009 with events at the church and a printout of next months AFM menu. I almost forgot, we also got a sprinkler of seasoning mix put together by a churchmember.
                I decided that this month I'd document these "suppliments" as I call them along with the regular box menu items. Here's a photo of those items.

So that's all of the Angel Food Ministries boxes for this year.
                Are you or your family buying boxes from AFM? Are you getting any of the specials? What do you think of the price for the menus? Is it a bargin for the items included? Feedback? Opinions?

Comment

I will admit, I don't do a whole lot of grocery shopping. But it doesn't seem like you're getting that much food for $30. It seems like you could get higher quality stuff that you want, just by buying things when they are on sale.
                  Washington DC

Comment

Originally posted by mjw064 View Post
                    I will admit, I don't do a whole lot of grocery shopping. But it doesn't seem like you're getting that much food for $30. It seems like you could get higher quality stuff that you want, just by buying things when they are on sale.
                    I've had the same thoughts off and on. My better half is the one that found this and is the big fan of it but I have questioned the value before. One of My projects for this coming year is to do some comparison shopping and compare prices of similar items on sale at Wal-mart, Albertsons, etc. Keep in mind that the AFM box is only a small part of our monthly food purchase. We still make regular trips to the local grocery stores. I am always looking for sales to buy stuff. A good example is the thread I started about Cheap Meat. I only buy meat items when on sale and also canned goods such as veggies, beans, etc..

Comment

Officerchick,
                      Did you get a box this month?

Comment

Just got home with this month's $30 menu. The contents list was-
                        1.5 lb. Ribeye Steak (4 x 6 oz.)
                        4 lb. Leg Quarters
                        1.5 lb. Beef Patties (4 x 6 oz.)
                        18 oz. Cheese Filled Manicotti
                        2 lb. Pork Rib Strips
                        1 lb. Chicken Breast Fajita Strips
                        1 lb. Ground Turkey
                        1 lb. Broccoli
                        1 lb. Peas
                        6 ct. Oatmeal Variety Box
                        2 each-Regular, Maple Brown Sugar and Apple Cinnamon
                        32 oz. 2% Shelf Stable Milk
                        8 oz. Blueberry Muffin Mix
                        12 ct. White Corn Tortillas
                        1 lb. Pinto Beans
                        7 oz. Chicken Flavored Rice & Vermicelli
                        Dozen Eggs
                        Dessert

On the way home we stopped at a grocery store for a couple of other things and saw a Cub Scout troop holding a food drive. So we donated the Chicken Rice and Vermicelli and the Oatmeal Variety Box.
                        When we got home we laid out everything and subjected it to a 2X power Cat Scan.

Sorry for the poor photo quality but the camera was set on the wrong focus setting and I didn't realize until everything had been put away.
                        Regarding the earlier discussions about the value of a typical menu box, I brought this up with a couple of the church volunteers. One mentioned that a lady at a neighboring church actually did a price comparison while shopping at the local Wal-Mart. She came up with an average of about $60 based on what Wal-Mart would charge for comparable items. Sometimes a little more and sometimes a bit less.

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
                          Regarding the earlier discussions about the value of a typical menu box, I brought this up with a couple of the church volunteers. One mentioned that a lady at a neighboring church actually did a price comparison while shopping at the local Wal-Mart. She came up with an average of about $60 based on what Wal-Mart would charge for comparable items. Sometimes a little more and sometimes a bit less.
                          I agree. We didn't get it this time, but I think it's generally worth at least 1/2 again what you pay.
                          sigpic
                          Rocket Science

One Man's Opinion

Comment

Do you remember what type of desert you got last month? Was it the fruit pie? If so what flavor did you get? We got Peach. It's still in the freezer. We'll probably have it next week. We got little snack packs of cookies this month. They will be welcome in my lunch box.

Comment

Just got home with the Febuary 2009 regular menu box.
                              It contained....
                              1.5 lb. Sirloin Strip Steaks
                              (4 x 6 oz.)
                              2 lb. Tray Pack Chicken Breast
                              1 lb. Boneless Pork Chops
                              2 lb. Breaded Chicken Nuggets
                              28 oz. Salisbury Steak Entrée
                              12 oz. Sliced Bacon
                              1 lb. All-Meat Hot Dog
                              1 lb. Stir Fry (Broccoli, Red Peppers & Onions)
                              1 lb. Carrots
                              8 oz. Breakfast Cereal
                              32 oz. 2% Shelf Stable Milk
                              35 oz. Crinkle-Cut Fries
                              7.25 oz. Mac ‘n Cheese
                              1 lb. Rice
                              1 lb. Bean Soup Mix
                              Dozen Eggs
                              Dessert
                              Our dessert this month was a pineapple pie.

Comment

I ran across this on another forum. I have to say, it's a bit worrisome. If anything were to happen to Angel Food, it would negatively impact a lot of people.
                                That's a direct quote. Not word for word, but the gist of it.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X