No announcement yet.

Cheap groceries- Angel Food Ministries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love dollar stores. Our Dollar Tree also has a freezer section, and they actually carry the same brand of frozen potato products you get with Angel Food. We do the Angel Food almost every month. We missed last month, but we still haven't used all of the food from the month before. Well, that may have something to do with the 10 pounds of popcorn chicken I inadvertently ordered.

I also ocassionally make up a large pot of jambalaya, chicken 'n' dumplin's, stew, or plain ol' beans and rice. I try to cook one or two large items over the weekend, i.e. a meatloaf or the aforementioned, so lunches are taken care of. Now that it's starting to cool off, as much as Texas ever does, I can start making soups and stews again. Yum

I recently learned the joys of resale stores like Goodwill. Another of our favorites is Big Lots. True, it's hit and miss sometimes, but you can stock up on good items at good prices.

We used to have a deep freezer, and we'd buy meats in bulk at Sam's Club, but we had to get rid of it.
    That's a direct quote. Not word for word, but the gist of it.

Comment

My Lady and I picked up this months menu box this morning. It was a pretty good assortment in the box. Here's what I got for about $26 from Angel Food Ministries-

We already started using it. We had 2 of the hamburger patties and some of the french fries for lunch.
      Hospital Security Officer

Comment

For $43 we got all of the above plus some yummy-looking steaks. Even if they're going up to $30 per box in '08, it's still a great deal.

Comment

Originally posted by officerchick View Post
          For $43 we got all of the above plus some yummy-looking steaks. Even if they're going up to $30 per box in '08, it's still a great deal.
          The December menu was $28 dollars today. I haven't ordered any of the meat specials yet. Maybe next month.
          Even if we had gotten some specials this month we don't have the freezer space for the stuff. I have been stopping by a grocery store in the morinings after work and catching the reduced items on sale. I got some 5lb packs of ground meat for 99cents a pound and some steaks for 1/2 off this past month. Then I hit a bunch of reduced Hot Pockets and I had coupons for them. With all that and the Angel Food items my freezer is stuffed.
          My freezer-

and the freezer door-
          About 3 weeks ago this was almost empty.
          EMTGuard
          Last edited by EMTGuard; 11-17-2007, 06:17 PM. Reason: added stuff about my freezer

Comment

I spy.....Corn Dogs!
            Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
            Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Security Consultant View Post
              I spy.....Corn Dogs!
              Yep, they came in this month's Angel Food menu. I don't ordinarily eat corndogs and can't tell you when the last time was that I ate one but if I can claim one thing about buying from this program it is that it as added variety to my diet.

Comment

Originally posted by Security Consultant View Post
                I spy.....Corn Dogs!
                I spy........... Apple Pie!
                sigpic
                Rocket Science
                Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by integrator97 View Post
                  I spy........... Apple Pie!
                  Winn-Dixie was having a sale AND we had a coupon. We got Apple and Pumpkin pie.

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
                    Winn-Dixie was having a sale AND we had a coupon. We got Apple and Pumpkin pie.
                    Yummy. I like 'em both. I'm more of a pie guy than a cake guy.
                    sigpic
                    Rocket Science
                    Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                    One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Have you seen the specials for December? The fruit box is huge, and the meat & cheese box looks good too. I agree, it has certainly added variety to my diet as well. The sausage bangers in this month's box were YUMMY! Never had bangers before.

Love catching meat on clearance. We got two packages of Ball Park hotdogs for 48cents each. We used to be real close to a bread outlet store, and would stock up on that every few weeks.

Comment

EMTGuard, good posting

I wish we had one of those angel places up in the San Francisco area. I like to save money on necessities like most other people. I do use coupons and such, and sometimes shop at food and clothing outlet stores, but the prices you pay for those groceries beat anything I see here.

So, good shopping to you.

Comment

I used to do alot of my shopping in the MUM time before school got out every week. It was 1 hour where the kids were not there, the place was quiet and as I worked only 10 minutes from home I would split my lunch time up as I worked until 1930 usually at night so would take 2 lunch breaks. Alot of markdowns would come through on meat and it was a good deal. Now much to the distaste of my wife I go shopping at 2100 or later some nights as the meat markdowns soon come out and even just saving $20 a week for both of us - it soon adds up and I do make alot of lasagne and spaghetti sauce to freeze for those nights of non cooking in zip-lock bags so anything on special gets used up very easily.

I don't know about other states but we are lucky with our Asian Bakers since they are always open, bake 365 days a year and always have fresh bread - even on Xmas Day if you want it from 0500. It makes life pleasant and it may not be the premium stuff but fresh bread rolls cannot be beaten for lunch (unless you bake it yourself).
                          "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Just keeping the thread alive for anyone still interested. I just got home from the Baptist church with my box of this months menu. The price was $28 dollars but this is what we got....

We agree it's still a pretty good deal. Lots of frozen veggies so my diet is really getting varied. I've lost a little weight lately and am crediting it to my healthier eating lately.
                            Next months menu cost went up to $30 dollars but we looked at the selection and decided to get it.

Comment

Angel food...

My wife and I have been planning on doing this but have never gotten around to it, or had the time. Ours is located in Oklahoma City.
                              "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Another months gone by and I just got home with our box for this months' menu.
                                This is what the menu listed for January-
                                J A N U A R Y 2 0 0 8 M E N U

1.25 lb. Bacon Wrapped Beef Filets (5 x 4 oz)
                                4 lb. Individually Frozen Chicken Leg Quarters
                                2 lb. Lean Hamburger Steaks (4 x 8oz.)
                                1.5 lb. Boneless Pork Roast
                                1.25 lb. Meaty Beef Short Ribs
                                20 oz. Supreme Pizza
                                10 oz. Deli Sliced Turkey Breast
                                3 lb. Fresh Apples
                                35 oz. Crinkle Cut French Fries
                                16 oz. Frozen Green Beans
                                16 oz. Onion Rings
                                14 oz. Fancy Ketchup
                                26 oz. Pasta Sauce
                                16 oz. Pasta
                                16 oz. Pinto Beans
                                7.5 oz. Macaroni and Cheese
                                1 Dessert Item
                                And here is what I had when I got home.

As you can see, our cats were very interested in inspecting everything as I was posing it for the photo. Good selection of meats and shelf items.
                                Next pick up date is March 1 so look for more photos then. I'll just keep this thread alive month by month.
                                Feel free to comment.

Steve

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X