Cheap groceries- Angel Food Ministries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Caesar View Post
    I lost 15 pounds just switching frm soft drinks to water. I do still sometimes drink iced tea or fruit juices with meals, but not very often. Now a Coke or a Dr. Pepper is a once/twice a month treat, and I feel Sooooooo much better every night at work.
    I did the very same thing. In addition to water, I drink iced or hot green tea since they've discovered all the health benefits. What's great about green tea is that its own taste is so mild that it can easily be flavored. I get a box of the raspberry-flavored tea bags, a box of orange-flavor, and use 4 of each to make up a big old 64-oz jar of "sun tea". It's delicious iced...and talk about cheap! For hot tea, I like either the lemon or cinnamon flavored varieties with honey for sweetener.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
      I have just recently gone to no pop. I am trying to go to just water, but I will have something else every once in a while.
      Oh no! I crave my soda too bad... went to cordial for a couple of months, but relapsed LOL

I guess I must be about due to go cold turkey again
      "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Black Caesar View Post
        I lost 15 pounds just switching frm soft drinks to water. I do still sometimes drink iced tea or fruit juices with meals, but not very often. Now a Coke or a Dr. Pepper is a once/twice a month treat, and I feel Sooooooo much better every night at work.
        Naturally flavored sparkling water will give you the taste & fizz w/o the calories.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I picked up my box yesterday and when I got it home I posed everything on my living room table and took a photo. Here is what I got for $26.13.

Pretty nice selection.
          Now I have to scrape together another $26 bucks by next week to get the November menu.
          Hospital Security Officer

Comment

EMT that is a good base for your monthly grocery bills and with a few extra staples you can live quite well. Someone post about the better quality lunches from home and so true indeed. Before my current position, my previous contract had me back in the business end of Sydney - and I refused to pay $5.00 US for a bloody large coffee - it was not served to my office but it cost me the same as a cheap lunch where I worked before.

I refuse to pay that for a bloody coffee and did it a few times until I found a 7/11 and ended up going buying my own to last me a month for the cost of 2 coffees. I admit it was harder for me to relive on a site with a big factory crew and a heavily discounted canteen and know it was there for 16 hours a day with all the hot food for breakfast. I admit I do love my softdrink (soda) but drink ALOT of cordial which is like a syrup you add water to (liquid version of say TANG). But with the over use of A/C units I tend to drink 1/2 gallon (2 litres) of H2O in summer since you can be dehydrated without warning inside.

Oh and I went from paying $6.00 US for lunch at an old mum and pop burger joint where I once worked (always had a comob sandwich) to more than double that and plus the cost of a drink - over 5 days it soon adds up !! Bulk purchasing does work well but I think the staples of pasta, flour, sauces and the like plus cheest make life bearable. You yanks need some asian bakeries over here - they never close and even open Xmas day as you can get fresh bread and bread rolls from 0500 to late at night.

$3.00 US for bread ? Even our our super dooper bread is not that much ....... yet !!
            "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

I never can understand how some of my techs can always afford to eat out. My brother and I almost always bring our lunch or have frozen bought at the grocery store, not the convenience store. Been this way for 16 years that we've worked together on and off, 1st for someone else, then my company.

Of course these are the guys always in debt, living paycheck to paycheck.

On the water thing, while I could stand to lose weight, I like to eat to much. But all I drink is coffee and water mostly. I might drink one or two cans of pop (soda, soda pop, coke depending on where you're from, not sure what you call it down under) a week, many weeks none.

BTW, we recently did the Angel Ministries thing. Pretty good deal.
              sigpic
              Rocket Science
              Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
              One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

A couple of clowns I worked with were at the extreme level. 1 was broke but told you he had to have the best of everything (best car he worked 2 days a week to pay it off) whilst the other would drink for 2 days from his 4 days off and would come to work and live on bread - just plain bread. The first clown HAD to work 2 - 3 days o/t to survive in his 4 days off and when I worked rotational shift I would rarely do 1 in 4 every month.

When you work 80 hours a week like the first clown did and he would need to sleep for 50 - 60 hours a week, a flash car when you are on limited income is dead money. Give me the money and let me drive something reliable so I can enjoy my time off and not HAVE to work every day in o/t.

Comment

My wife and I work long hours with a long commute back home now so that the last thing we want to do is go shopping for groceries at 2300 (I will, she won't) so we just order online and I consider the fact that it is delivered to the house for $10.00 US when we get home and saves 2-3 hours of our precious w/end time is important. Yes it does cost more but we also go to the bulk places and stock up on staples so that we have $$$ saved on that side of things too.

Comment

One other way to save food buck$ while having some social time - once a week have a pot luck dinner with friends. People like showing off their favorite dishes.

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
                      One other way to save food buck$ while having some social time - once a week have a pot luck dinner with friends. People like showing off their favorite dishes.
                      So are we all invited?
                      sigpic
                      Rocket Science
                      Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                      One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by integrator97 View Post
                        So are we all invited?

Yes, you are! I'll be bringing beenie-weenies, which maxes out my cooking skills. Not fancy, I know, but since the beenz are soaked in rum and served with a mug of beer, I've never had any complaints about the dish, for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by integrator97 View Post
                          So are we all invited?
                          I'll bring the napkins!
                          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
                            I'll bring the napkins!
                            Mmmmm....yummy! I love napkins - roasted or baked.

Comment

One thing I've done in the past is make a huge pot of Jambalya. I can make a big pot for about 30 bucks and it will last me awhile...as long as none of my other broke friends come over.

I've started doing some grocery shopping at the dollar stores lol. Dollar General isn't a real dollar store but they have some cheap stuff. The Dollar Tree is a real "everything a dollar" store and I get a bunch of stuff. The one here has a freezer section with tostitos pizzas banquet meals cheese lunch meat and all.

We have a bakery outlet near here with cheap bread products.
                              SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

Comment

Originally posted by gcmc security part 2 View Post
                                One thing I've done in the past is make a huge pot of Jambalya. I can make a big pot for about 30 bucks and it will last me awhile...as long as none of my other broke friends come over.

I've started doing some grocery shopping at the dollar stores lol. Dollar General isn't a real dollar store but they have some cheap stuff. The Dollar Tree is a real "everything a dollar" store and I get a bunch of stuff. The one here has a freezer section with tostitos pizzas banquet meals cheese lunch meat and all.

We have a bakery outlet near here with cheap bread products.
                                I'm basically really cheap anyway. I go around to our local Goodwill-type stores every spring and I always find perfectly good/expensive jackets, etc. for practically nothing - maybe $5. These are "label" items by the way - Land's End, LL Bean, etc. I've found leather jackets for $15-20, with maybe a minor problem that is easily fixed, or with nothing wrong with them at all except a little minor wear. I also get great books for 50 cents, and even office furniture. I'm sitting on a perfectly good pneumatic-type office chair right now that I paid $20 for...retail well over $100.

One hint, by the way...these stores have even cheaper prices in small towns. So now and then me and the missus hitches up the oxens (well, she hitches 'em up while I fills my jug and my baccy pouch) and we goes on a little daytrip just to browse the bargain stores in out-of-the-way places. Fascinating what you can find - it's like a treasure hunt.

Oh, and don't yield to the temptation to lease a car. It's almost always a dud deal in the long run unless you can write it off against business.

However, I will NOT buy a new car just so that I can lose $3000 driving it off the lot. You can't tell one year from another hardly these days anyway, so who cares? I have a good relationship with the used car manager for our local Chevy dealer and I let him know when I'm looking, and what for. I always go for 2 years old, 20K or less, excellent condition and nothing that's been driven by a kid. He also knows I will research prices before I come to look at the car, and will handle my own financing, so we just talk turkey about the car and the price. It's easy repeat business for him - which it is ONLY because he treats me very well and knows that he'll get my business first. He doesn't make a killing on the car, but he makes something on a pretty quick sale - one call to my bank and another to my insurance agent - and it doesn't tie up one of his salesmen for hours either.

Don't forget "scratch and dent" sales.

Finally...live on as much of a "cash" basis as possible. Credit cards will cost you big money over time. I don't use them except for very rare situations where I don't have any alternative, but I have friends who will come to Christmas still paying for last year's presents.

And I don't hang out on eBay either, having made about 5 purchases total there. Four of the five turned out to be as advertised and were good deals, but it's just too easy to get into a shopping/bidding/competing mode, at least for me...and I also notice that eBay has become a haven for lots of people hawking garbage, too - especially from overseas.
                                Last edited by SecTrainer; 10-30-2007, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X