Planing a road trip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planing a road trip.

Hey all, I am planning a road trip for sometime late January - Mid February 2008 our coldest time of the year up here (Ontario Canada). My initial plan is to go from Sault Ste. Marie Mi. to San Antonio TX. Making stops along the way in various cities traveling the major inter-state Hwy's. So far I have Figured things out from Mi. to Tx. as far as inter-state Hwy's go. But after Texas I would like to go west after, checking out the Death Valley Nv. area and the rest of the mid west cutting east across the central States returning to SSM Mi. Not really interested in going through California no offence.

It's kind of a circle route I am planning and want to drive through the desert. Can you guys give me an idea of weather conditions and major interstates I should be traveling, I am also utilizing Google maps and map quest, but would like some information based on first hand knowledge.

Feel free to share your road trip stories as well!
    I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

any plans to swing threw utah ? or do you plan on going through new mexico :P instead of colorado
    Its not how we die that counts.....
    Its not how we lived that counts....
    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

I would take I-10 from Texas thru New Mexico to Tucson, Arizona. From Tucson, Az take I-10 North thru Phoenix I-17 North to I-40 (you might want to stopover at the Grand Canyon). Then continue West on I-40 to Kingman, Az and then North (Rt. 93 across the Boulder Dam) to Las Vegas. You will see plenty of desert along the way.

I just returned yesterday from a trip starting from Philadelphia to Vancouver, BC to San Francsico then to Nashville - back to Philadelphia. I need a rest.

Have a great trip.
      Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
      Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Security Consultant View Post
        I would take I-10 from Texas thru New Mexico to Tucson, Arizona. From Tucson, Az take I-10 North thru Phoenix I-17 North to I-40 (you might want to stopover at the Grand Canyon). Then continue West on I-40 to Kingman, Az and then North (Rt. 93 across the Boulder Dam) to Las Vegas. You will see plenty of desert along the way.

I just returned yesterday from a trip starting from Philadelphia to Vancouver, BC to San Francsico then to Nashville - back to Philadelphia. I need a rest.

Have a great trip.
        That is quite the trip! Thanks for your advice.
        I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

Comment

Originally posted by UtahProtectionForce View Post
          any plans to swing threw utah ? or do you plan on going through new mexico :P instead of colorado
          Well, planning to go through New Mexico on the way to Nevada then after that im not realy sure thats the heading home part of the trip. Where is the furthest south that snow falls that time of year? Trying to avoid it we will have plenty up here to get away from

Comment

snow does fall in new mexico too.....
            Its not how we die that counts.....
            Its not how we lived that counts....
            all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

It will snow in the high desert areas of Arizona and it snows in Northern Arizona. In Jan-Feb the Phoenix area is in the 70's during the day and can get cold (30's) during the very early morning hours. In the 15 years I lived there I saw snow twice in Scottsdale.
              Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
              Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Driving through Scottsdale with snow on the trees was a truly beautiful sight. I took lots of pictures on that day!

Be safe,

Hank
                " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by UtahProtectionForce View Post
                  snow does fall in new mexico too.....
                  Don't I feel ignorant... I never knew that but thanks for correcting me.

I'm just trying to get away from our bone chilling cold at that time year, and was thinking of doing the "normal" vacation to Mexico or something, but I like to be different and love to drive. Since I have never been to the areas I mentioned I figured Hey that's an great idea!

Comment

.....here's some suggestions from a trip we did ...

I'd catch I-65 in Indiana and cruise it all the way to I-10 in southern Alabama...then head west on 10, you'll get to ride one of the coolest stretches of highway in the U.S., the elevated 30 or so miles of I-10 above the Achafalaya Swamp!

Then, if you want to see some real remote stuff....take the U.S. highway (can't recall the number) that runs north out of near the 4-Corners area {where Colorado, New Mex, Arizona and Utah meet up}....you may want to stop and tour Monument Valley...then take a right turn if you tour the Valley and ride one of the most remote stretches of road you'll ever see....almost til you get to Moab. BTW, Arches National Park is a must see!!!

Then, weather permitting, see if you can fit I-70 eastbound out of Grand Junction, Colorado into your itinerary. Just don't take it all the way to Denver, exit north onto U.S.40 and cruise Berthoud Pass....then on to Grandby and Grand Lake.

Now if you're really feeling adventerous, cut northwest towards Grand Teton and Glacier National Parks. Again, weather permitting! The "Going-To-The-Sun" Highway through the Tetons has a lot of seasonal closings.

Then you can keep wandering north and hit the QE Highway for the eastward trek homeward.

My wife and I took 4 weeks a few years ago and did almost 8000 miles....but in was in September when reaching for the 4WD shifter was a rarity.

HAPPT TRAILS!
                    You can educate dumb, but you can't fix stupid.

Comment

I am going out to the Seven-Eleven in about an hour for Milk and Cat food
                      Hello Map Quest
                      http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X