No announcement yet.

Working with regilions people.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, we work by senority. Just because you are Christian why should you get all the Sundays off & others have to work on a day that their wife or husband that works a "normal" Monday to Friday shift, have off.
    So...your answer is really 'no.' Seniority is not a legitimate reason for much of anything. It is an understanding between employees (at least that is how it's been in the companies I work for. I have seen many young and new guys get better from the company because seniority bred apathy) You're saying that the only way I could get a Sunday off is being with your company (thankfully, I'm not) for a long period of time. That is total crap. Also, there is this concept of VACATION. Generally, people working a 'normal' M-F earn some kind of vacation. As a security officer, I am offered shifts. I can change them with other employees or even REQUEST OFF. It is obviously not that big of a deal to a non-Christian that we get off on Sundays if they aren't willing to do little things to get the time off.

Comment

Another example is March Break. In Montreal hotels it is wild with 18 & 19 year olds that are too young to drink in their own states come here because of oue /18 year old drinking age. During this time ALL Officers MUST work. It's hard & frustrating but we have to do it. If Easter happens to fal durig this time period, Christians should be able to stay home with their families while we have to work in these condidtions? Wars rarely stop of religious holidays, do they. (I do remember reading that the Allies & German did stop a battle for 24 hours one Christmas though!)
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

As a born again Christain, I do not push my "religon" on anyone or condem any one. I am lucky that I would night shift tues-sat, so when I get off work on Sunday I can go to church. However some times it is very hard to say awake. If I so happened to work day shift, Sundays, if I want to retain my employment I work it. If Easter or Christmas falls on my day off then I get it off if not then I work it. Now this Christmans (07) I will try to get it off because it will be my baby's first.

IMO- Anyone that calls someone else a heathen is not a Christian

Comment

Originally posted by Knight Watch View Post
          IMO- Anyone that calls someone else a heathen is not a Christian
          Actually they're religiously intolerant

What I find odd is this whole 7th day Sabbath scenario, IMHO Sunday (not Saturday) is the end of the week perhaps that's because it's the end of the week-end and back to work for the 9-5 M/F masses

So depending on your fellow employee's religious convictions both days can cause issues...

Personally I work Sunday for the penalty rates (second job)
          "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

I am a Italian American from New York with a Roman Catholic upbringing. However, I have not stepped in a Catholic Church (or any other) for almost 4 years. I do not preach to anyone/co-workers. And I do work Sundays, 1700-0500 hours. ....

Be safe,

Hank
            " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

maelstrom

What I find odd is this whole 7th day Sabbath scenario, IMHO Sunday (not Saturday) is the end of the week perhaps that's because it's the end of the week-end and back to work for the 9-5 M/F masses
              Dude, your humble opinion in not based on any teaching of the Christian Bible. There is much debate, however, It still doesn't change the Hebrew meaning of Sabbath. (I do not have the exact translation in front of me, it's in the library) The calendar was set up as such by the Romans IIRC.
              Last edited by doulos Christou; 08-26-2007, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve354 View Post

Sorry to say laws or no laws If I'm down to work on a Sunday then I will work that shift. My girlfriend from time to time will work on a Sunday.

Good man. I'm not religeous in the least but I have no problems with any that are, I can even have a good natured conversation about it. I have no problem that can take responsibility.

The goons I can't stand are those that would use religeon as excuse to take a day off. " I can't do it I have church.......ZZZzzzz"
                sigpicMy ideal security vehicle and uniforms:

Comment

waaait...

The goons I can't stand are those that would use religeon as excuse to take a day off. " I can't do it I have church.......ZZZzzzz"
                  Our tradition is not 'an excuse to take a day off.'

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Jessee View Post

Or worse is the guys who say their religion is not an issue before they join the company and once their in they start laying down the law stating what their religion allows and what it doesn't. Our company recently interviewed a Muslim tech who at the onset laid down his demands, prayer time, time off, special foods, special room to prey in and so on....needless to say he didn't get the job. , mumbled something about discrimination on his way out.

Comment

let him think that all the way to his next interview at McDonalds.

Just an observation, I just got done reading Every Man a Tiger with Tom Clancy and Gen. Chuck Horner. The book chronicles the planning of the air war during desert shield/storm. several times there was mention made of Saudi government security being the only people in the King Khalid Military Complex that were at their posts during prayer call. And the Saudis are among the strictist in their faith.

Yeah that guy was fishing for perks that weren't there. nor should be there
                      sigpicMy ideal security vehicle and uniforms:

Comment

Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
                        Then she's not as Christian as she says
                        Wrong. She's actually Christian.

If a person claims to be Christian but doesn't do anything to convert, she's a moderate Christian. Which is pretty much a form of Christianity that is convenient as long as it's convenient to you.

Comment

here we go again

Wrong. She's actually Christian.
                          Nope, being judgemental and calling someone a 'heathen' is not Christian principle. Good try though. Also, note the word AS

If a person claims to be Christian but doesn't do anything to convert, she's a moderate Christian. Which is pretty much a form of Christianity that is convenient as long as it's convenient to you.
                          You should have read my entire response instead of just those 8 words. I was saying that calling someone a heathen is not Christianity. Had absolutely nothing to do with converting.

Comment

If you hire with the job dscription that says rotating shifts, includes weekends, or whatever, that basically puts out in plain words that you have to work Saturdays or Sundays, etc., then they can't use religious discrimination. If that's what the job calls for, it's up to them to decide if they want it bad enough.

Now if you won't hire any christians, or any muslims, or jews, or non christians, that would be descrimination. If you were jewish, owned the business, and never worked saturday, and maybe had other jews that never worked saturday, but you made christians work sunday when they expressed not to, that would be discrimination.

As far as me, I am an agnostic considering the possibility of Deism. But I have no problem with religious people, as some of my friends have been missionaries, and I know people in many religions. I wouldn't like them to preach to me, but I don't mind lively conversation if they don't. But they have to be willing to listen, and accept my opinions as they want me to their own.

But I digress. Just make sure you can use force if needed to cover my butt.
                            sigpic
                            Rocket Science
                            Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                            One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

We used to have a problem at our head office. The majority owner is an Hasidic Jew. The office obviously closes down on Jewish holidays. At one time the non-Jewish employees had to work Christmas & other Christian Holidays to make up the lost days. Now they get both off
                              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

My site had an issue a few weeks ago where I had two officers who had both put in requests for permanent schedule changes to include Sundays off so that they could get back to church after having been away for an extended period. Having both these officers off on Sundays put me in a serious schedule crunch and totally tanked my weekly hours. I ended up working out an agreement with both of them to alternate Sundays and Wednesdays off so each week one could go to church service and the other could go to Bible study. This spread out the hours crunch and didn't leave me understaffed on a weekend. Not a perfect arrangement, and obviously only works with people willing to compromise, but it's an idea
                                The law is reason free from passion." -- Aristotle

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X