Working with regilions people.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
    A person can demand the entire Sunday off actually. In many facets of Christianity, Sunday is considered Sabbath and Holy and a day for rest, which you are not to work at all.
    Does this mean that non-believers HAVE to work on Sunday to cover them?
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

If you want the shift covered, I guess you have to find someone willing to work those hours huh?
      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

My boss is in seminary to be a Baptist minister and he is very old fashioned and consious of how he carries himself. He is the type that spells cuss words he doesn't want to say. I, on the other hand, hung around my father too much growing up (he's a contractor) and learned to swear worse than a sailor. Out of respect to him, I attempt to watch my language around him. When I slip (unless it's taking the Lord's name in vain) he makes his comment by saying a little "prayer" ("Lord, forgive her mouth, she knows not what she says and give her strength to get through this difficult point in her day" . . . etc.) I actually think it's kinda cute. I've never had a problem with it and we get along fairly well.
        The law is reason free from passion." -- Aristotle

Comment

If have to work on a Sunday then I will do it and have done in the past.

Just because of believe does not make any different to anyone else. We have police officer's, nurses, Dr's e.g they to work on Sundays so why shouldn't I work to.

Then of couse there are who never or realy get a Sunday off and that is thous people who work the land.
          ]

Comment

geez

One of my officers is a die hard christian. From time to time she has made the comment that I am a heathen because I'm not a christian.
            Then she's not as Christian as she says

Comment

A observant Jew who can't work Fridays to Saturdays could not work for me, neither can a Christian who can't work Christmas or Easter. A Muslum that have to take time out for prayer would have to delay the prayer if there was an emergency at the same time.
              So y'all can discriminate based on religious observance?

Comment

--

Does this mean that non-believers HAVE to work on Sunday to cover them?
                There's plenty of them.

Comment

Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
                  There's plenty of them.
                  So we should be punished?

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                    US law protects religious expression, and civil rights laws prevent discrimination based on religious doctrine.

You can't work Sunday cause you're at church? We won't hire you.
                    ^ This is seen as discrimination ^
                    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Should we? Can you provide legitimate reason why there is no one else available to come work on Sundays? Doubtful. And...you cannot punish me because of my religious convictions. It is the same as me punishing someone else for their convictions, religious or otherwise. It's total bull. I am a Christian, working on a degree in youth ministry. I work at a church on Sundays and have my youth stuff on Thurs. Doesn't interfere with my job at all. After all, there are 5 other days I can work.

Comment

Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
                        Should we? Can you provide legitimate reason why there is no one else available to come work on Sundays? Doubtful. And...you cannot punish me because of my religious convictions. It is the same as me punishing someone else for their convictions, religious or otherwise. It's total bull. I am a Christian, working on a degree in youth ministry. I work at a church on Sundays and have my youth stuff on Thurs. Doesn't interfere with my job at all. After all, there are 5 other days I can work.
                        Yes, we work by senority. Just because you are Christian why should you get all the Sundays off & others have to work on a day that their wife or husband that works a "normal" Monday to Friday shift, have off.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                          In the US, you must give accommodation to religious practices. This includes time off for church on Sunday, etc. The only way out of it is if you can show a substantial hardship that makes the accommodation no longer "reasonable."

If a person requests Sunday off, you can have them work the evening/night shift instead, etc.
                          "Undue hardship" can be difficult to show. And, like almost everything else in U.S. employment law, the real problem is that the employer loses just by having to deal with the complaint, even if the case is ultimately resolved in his favor.
                          "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
                            "Undue hardship" can be difficult to show. And, like almost everything else in U.S. employment law, the real problem is that the employer loses just by having to deal with the complaint, even if the case is ultimately resolved in his favor.
                            I think, without a business law lawyer who specializes in EEOC cases, showing undue hardship is extremely hard. But, hell, the law gives the exception. Its just up to the company to prove how hard it is.

A good way out of reasonable accomodation is when the accomodation fails to meet the minimum requirements, or places people's lives in jeapordy. Such as when dealing with firearms and other weapons, arrests and self-defense/defense of others, and life safety devices.

If a guard shakes so bad that he cannot qualify with a firearm, then he cannot work as an armed guard. The reasonable accomodation is out the window, he can work as an unarmed guard, but that's a reclassification.
                            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                              US law protects religious expression, and civil rights laws prevent discrimination based on religious doctrine.

You can't work Sunday cause you're at church? We won't hire you.
                              ^ This is seen as discrimination ^
                              Would I be right in saying that just because I go chruch I can not work on A Sunday.

Sorry to say laws or no laws If I'm down to work on a Sunday then I will work that shift. My girlfriend from time to time will work on a Sunday.
                              ]

Comment

Originally posted by Steve354 View Post
                                Would I be right in saying that just because I go chruch I can not work on A Sunday.

Sorry to say laws or no laws If I'm down to work on a Sunday then I will work that shift. My girlfriend from time to time will work on a Sunday.
                                No. It is your choice. I have not been to church in years because I have been working Sundays. I could go to church if I wanted, but I value my time in bed too much (unfortunately). Just because you go to church doesn't mean you CAN'T work a Sunday, it just means that it is your religious choice to work on Sundays or not.
                                "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                                "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X