• new computer

Intel Pentium D 935 3.2GHz, (Dual Core) 4096K
    Spire Socket 775 Intel fan
    PC CHIPS P23G,8xAGP, DDR+DDR2, Onboard Video, Sound, LAN, USB 2.0
    3GB (3x1GB) PC5300 DDR2 667 Dual Channel
    ATI Radeon x1600PRO 512MB PCI Express 16x dual head, tv out
    160.0GB Maxtor/ Seagate 7200rpm SATA2 UDMA 300 8m Cache
    Hard Drive Dual Cooling Fan Internal
    AC 97 32 BIT Full Duplex sound card (onboard)
    10/100 Network card adapter (onboard)
    PowMax Black Mid Tower ATX Case w/ Front USB
    Okia 400W ATX Power Supply

im getting this hardware, for gaming, tell me if you all think it sounds good , i spent 661.00 on it :P
    Its not how we die that counts.....
    Its not how we lived that counts....
    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

For gaming that should be a great system... The only (minor) thing I would've done differently would be to skip the ATI video, and go with something else... I've always been an ATI fan, but lately their stuff has been leaving me wanting... Of course, I do a lot of high-end 3d cgi and video compositing work, so I'm doing a lot of video-intensive stuff the average gaming system isn't going to do... lol
    Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
    Originally posted by ValleyOne
    BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
    Shoulda called in sick.
    Be safe!

Comment

I put a Radeon 1950 Pro in someone's PC. Works great, except that they can't play Albatross 18 (Pangya Golf) or some "Made for nVidia" games.

All in all, its not bad. Here's what I would of substituted:

ASUS for PC CHIPS. I used to build (this is a...) using MSI, now I build using ASUS.

Thermaltake case, if it was in the budget.

500 Watt minimum power supply, and if within budget with modular wiring harness.

Oh, and a larger HD.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Ya - but can you type on it?
        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

yes lol, i plan to transfer my montior, keyboard, mouse, headphones, 80g HD, OS, cd/dvd rom/ media disk reader/ethernet card...and fans that i have with my current computer....
          all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

Wait. You didn't buy additional fans? Make sure that your case fans you currently have are big enough (proper mm size) to fit in the case, and if it supports a 120mm case fan, buy one or two.

Don't forget to setup proper airflow. One or two case fans in the front of the case set to pull air inwards. Two or more case fans on the rear (where the case fan mounts are) to blow air out of the back of the case.

I am suggesting silica gel washers now, because the really quiet the case as well as improve the life of the fan - with the case fan no longer sounding like a vacuum cleaner due to a seal against the metal, its quieter and the fan isn't getting suction.

You want airflow, not a vacuum.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

yupper, i ordered 2 fans, plus i have 2 fans in my current pc, so it will be a total of 4 ;P

Comment

The link below is the machine I intend to purchase within the next month or two.
                I am holding back a little cause of some concerns I have.
                http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Gatew...Detail.do#tabs

1. The duo Quad processors are very new and I want some more feed back from others that own this machine as to how they hold up.

2.Also I want to know how Vista handles the games.

3. According to the financial pages Gateway and Circuit City are in a small quandary at this time.

4. I will definitely order the new machine with 4 GB of ram. And get it factory over clocked.

5. The big one is this box can only be purchased through the Internet. If things go south I will need someone to scream at and it just ain't the same in text format.

The more logical way would be to buy an Alien-ware machine if all I wanted is a gamer. The FX8030 has many more features Like laser super fast CD burner that will print the contents right on the CD. Tons of multi media options.
                http://www.alienware.com/Product_Pag...l_default.aspx

As a co founder of a family oriented gaming community I would like to invite anyone that is interested in playing any of the games we offer to come on over an sign up. Free of course. We are proud to say that we are a little strict on foul language and any racially charged remarks will be a good way to get banned from our site. Moms,Dads and Kiddos can play on our server without fear of any of the fore mentioned crap. Oh Yea! Go figure we are battlefield games for the most part.
                http://www.mutinyonline.com/

THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Originally posted by UtahProtectionForce View Post
                  yes lol, i plan to transfer my montior, keyboard, mouse, headphones, 80g HD, OS, cd/dvd rom/ media disk reader/ethernet card...and fans that i have with my current computer....
                  I recently bought a 22 inch Samsung monitor. Had to. I couldn't sit any closer.
                  Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                  Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by UtahProtectionForce View Post
                    Intel Pentium D 935 3.2GHz, (Dual Core) 4096K
                    Spire Socket 775 Intel fan
                    PC CHIPS P23G,8xAGP, DDR+DDR2, Onboard Video, Sound, LAN, USB 2.0
                    3GB (3x1GB) PC5300 DDR2 667 Dual Channel
                    ATI Radeon x1600PRO 512MB PCI Express 16x dual head, tv out

160.0GB Maxtor/ Seagate 7200rpm SATA2 UDMA 300 8m Cache
                    Hard Drive Dual Cooling Fan Internal
                    AC 97 32 BIT Full Duplex sound card (onboard)
                    10/100 Network card adapter (onboard)
                    PowMax Black Mid Tower ATX Case w/ Front USB
                    Okia 400W ATX Power Supply
                    1) Firstly without wanting to offend you, PCchips products are absolute rubbish... Gigabyte, Asus & Abit (not budget series) are by far superior with Gigabyte offering organic polymer capacitors & 12 phase motherboard power (compared to everyone else's 8 phase). Quality capacitors & 12 phase power regulation will go a long way to making your PC reliable/stable.

BTW the board you've suggested doesn't support the PCI-E standard graphics card, you'd be far better off going for a PCI-E (supportive) motherboard as those cards are cheaper than AGP equivalents (due to their production numbers).

2) 3Gb of DDR2? if you're intending to run in dual channel memory mode, it'll need to be in equal quantities ie. 2 x 2Gb modules

3) Whilst the ATI X16xx series cards are okay, for a tad more the 7600GT can wipe the floor with ANY mid-level card (with the exception of maybe the X1650XT), just check out this link to THG for gaming performance reference.

4) Lastly Okia? PSU's are one of the most overlooked components in a PC IMHO, considering the potential damage a poorly made PSU can inflict buying a low rent PSU is akin to putting worn retreads on a Dodge Viper

Jonny Guru gives honest unbiased reviews on PSU's you can find his site HERE, at the moment the best all round PSU seems to be either the Corsair HX520w or HX620w.

Hope that helps somewhat...

Chucky I can't believe you're considering a Gateway PC? why not build it yourself?
                    Last edited by Maelstrom; 07-19-2007, 12:43 PM.
                    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

well i called the company up, and they were aware of incompadability problems, and will be changing my motherboard to the PC chips p29g for no, cost also getting a case upgrade APEVIA (Aspire) X-Gear Black, Side Window, front USB, they will also upgrade my power supply to a 450 Watt supply, all at not cost to me. and they will be shipping out today only thing i lose is the other motherboard was capable of 4gbs of ram this one is only capable of 2gbs, but is supposed to be faster, then the other board.

Comment

"Chucky I can't believe you're considering a Gateway PC? why not build it yourself?"

Good question. Gateway had a great rep a while back but that box has what I want that the others don't offer. My ex and I had the contract with the city of Clearwater Fl and built most of their first PCs before and after Mosaic browsers were created. The hard drives were only 25 Mbs and were in the beginning used for TELNETTing and downloading text files via FTP protocol.

The only pictures we had then were creative stick figures. Also in those days there was no such thing as plug an play. Dip switches had to be figured out. The bios had to be configured. One wrong setting and your day could consist of hours of rethinking what you already did.
                        I have built many boxes over the years and as you get older there comes a time when if you can afford to pay someone to do it for you then why not?

Ironic that you are from Australia the first Intra net contact I ever made by Telnet was to a freighter about 200 miles off the coast of your country. The thing that amazed me the most was that the connection took less than 10 seconds. I think our modem was a speedy 14kps
                        THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                        THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                        http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
                          Ironic that you are from Australia the first Intra net contact I ever made by Telnet was to a freighter about 200 miles off the coast of your country. The thing that amazed me the most was that the connection took less than 10 seconds. I think our modem was a speedy 14kps
                          I gave away my 14400Bps modem a couple of years ago, and yes I do recall those tricky dip-switches on an old EGA card I had... hasn't time flown? LOL

UtahProtectionForce what make is the 450w PSU your PC assembler using for the new build?

I'm sorry... but I still cringe/shudder when I think about people using PCChips products

FWIW the 'other' *cough* PCchips *cough* motherboard didn't support dual channel memory only single, IIRC dual channel gives somewhere around a 5~10% performance boost
                          Last edited by Maelstrom; 07-20-2007, 11:00 AM.
                          "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

These days, it's the memory and hard drives that are the bottlenecks.
                            Raid "0" with 4 drives+ an exterior usb2 drive for backups ought to do fine.
                            Your 3 gigs of ram looks good however.
                            Still, pc6400 or better is really the way to go.
                            Try for a really strong pci express video card too.
                            There are a lot of full HDTV spec monitors up to 52 inch at 1920x1080p that will also do nicely with your new pc.
                            If you lack an HDTV tuner, there are a few usb 2.0 units at under $120 that will make your machine look even nicer.
                            I have one from Pinnacle.
                            Welcome to the future!
                            Observe and report what you saw with a good flashlight.
                            Bedtime at sunrise

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X