No announcement yet.

Things that bug the heck out of me at work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must admit Alaska has clear blue sky compared to my fellow lower 48 state who smog is so bad you do not know what blue sky is any more!

If you put all the smokers in one spot ,they couldn't do the damage that most of the cars and building that produce all that smog could do!
    True I am a smoker but I get my job done as well as any one that doesn't smoke!

Further more my compliant is when will you all clean your states up so you can breath real air! See clear rivers and see the fish swimming instead of floating on top of the water . OK I blew off my steam for the day.

Comment

Are you one of those tree huggers Just kidding.
      We need transportation for people and goods and certainly do not want to go back to living in tents. New cars and energy star appliances do no where near the damage of products made when we were born.
      I would like to see a movie showing the opposite of Al Gore's.....

Originally posted by Bern Wheaton View Post
      I must admit Alaska has clear blue sky compared to my fellow lower 48 state who smog is so bad you do not know what blue sky is any more!

If you put all the smokers in one spot ,they couldn't do the damage that most of the cars and building that produce all that smog could do!
      True I am a smoker but I get my job done as well as any one that doesn't smoke!

Further more my compliant is when will you all clean your states up so you can breath real air! See clear rivers and see the fish swimming instead of floating on top of the water . OK I blew off my steam for the day.
      Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
      Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
        Quebec only allows smoking in private homes, in smoking rooms of hotels & I believe in specially ventilated rooms of long term old folks homes. There is even talk of allowing landlords to put a no smoking clause in their lease. Not only is it illegal to smoke in a hospital but it is also illegal to smoke with 25 feet of the entrance to any medical building or school. The hospitals all have blue lines painted on the ground showing where the 25 foot area ends.

I'm 51 & never bowed to pressure (believe it or not) to even try 1 cigarette. My mother died at age 44 due to lung disease due to cigarettes. My dad who never smoked is still alive at 78. Unfortunately (And I blame my job of working 3p.m. to 11p.m most of my career) my 26 year old daughter does smoke.

Boy things have changed in Quebec! Granted it's been 20 years, but I remember being astonished when I started high school in Dorval, and found that there was a smoking area for the students.
        "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

http://www.livescience.com/health/07...employees.html

Smokers can be deadweights around the office with lower working performance and more sick days taken than their non-smoking colleagues, two new studies suggest.

You can't argue with the science, smokers take considerably more sick days per year.

The other thing that has always bugged me is that smokers seem to think that they are entitled to extra "smoke" breaks. Smoking is non-productive time. Yet they always seem to do it on the clock.
          ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

Originally posted by Minneapolis Security View Post
            http://www.livescience.com/health/07...employees.html

Smokers can be deadweights around the office with lower working performance and more sick days taken than their non-smoking colleagues, two new studies suggest.

You can't argue with the science, smokers take considerably more sick days per year.

The other thing that has always bugged me is that smokers seem to think that they are entitled to extra "smoke" breaks. Smoking is non-productive time. Yet they always seem to do it on the clock.
            I agree with you. Ever since Quebec passed it's no smoking laws (June 2006) the employees of the hotel have to go outside to smoke. They pass by the security office. Sometimes it looks like a parade! I'm not in the office for too long yet I seem to see the same parade passing by a few times a day.
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I'd put up a gate and charge $1.00.
              Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
              Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

We could complain about non smokers,that smokers have to put up with,maybe your group of workers are just lazy people,but most of the guys I work with might of smoke but did there work. And for your study,well keep studying.

Maybe if you stop whining about smokers and trying to find there faults you might find them to be cool people just because they smoke doesn't mean they cant do there job. Because everyone has faults and until you walk in there shoes I wouldn't fault them.
                Allot of people drink beer and hard booze and come to work we don't fault them and there is ones that eat candy like it was going out of style we don't fault them ,but it is always the non smoker people who think they don't stink.That like to fault everyone for something . That they are the perfect ones!
                And if we look at you real hard we could find your fault and see how you like it thrown in your face!?

just my two cents.
                Last edited by Bern Wheaton; 07-25-2007, 06:45 PM.

Comment

ok...

I take exception to all smokers being lumped in together as lazy and useless:

On this note, I don't know about the office because I am a security officer and there isn;t too much I can secure in our company headquarters. Put me in the field and I'm pretty confident I can run circles around many. Cigarrettes do not affect my job performance in any way. So we aren't all deadweights. Since I started working at 14, I have never taken a sick day. Things have not changed with the smoking.

Sure I can. Not all of us will fit in that diagram. The scientists certainly didn't ask me or my co-workers about smoking habits in the workplace. Sounds like a sorry control sample to me.
                  Whether puffing on cigarettes is directly linked to the slacker behavior is uncertain <-- that's a direct quote from the article.

I take break with everyone else. It's called company policy. The only time I get an "extra" smoke break is when I am filling out paperwork in the field. I am not doing anything else that the smoking could possibly interfere with. Also, I refuse to smoke in front of the clients, even if they offer. This opporunity is presented quite often when I work construction sites at night. What about the non-productive things other workers do? Gossip, frequent restroom breaks, constant runs to the water fountain, etc? They waste just as much time.

I am not saying smoking is a great thing at all. I ahve been trying to quit for a few years now, but not all of us are out there in the field waiting on someone else to handle our load. I see plenty of non-smokers wasting time at work in their own unique fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                    I agree with you. Ever since Quebec passed it's no smoking laws (June 2006) the employees of the hotel have to go outside to smoke. They pass by the security office. Sometimes it looks like a parade! I'm not in the office for too long yet I seem to see the same parade passing by a few times a day.
                    I wonder if us non-smokers all just stopped working evertime the smokers went on there 10 smoke breaks a day, if companies might restrict all the free smoke breaks??
                    ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

dang

I wonder if us non-smokers all just stopped working evertime the smokers went on there 10 smoke breaks a day, if companies might restrict all the free smoke breaks??
                      Apparently I work for the wrong company. What company do you work for that smokers get breaks all the time? I am surely missing out.

Comment

Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
                        Apparently I work for the wrong company. What company do you work for that smokers get breaks all the time? I am surely missing out.
                        It sure happened when I worked at the hotel. I even considered taking up smoking so I wouldn't be the only one working.
                        "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
                          Same at my hotel. Might be because the General Manager & Assistant General Manager are smokers. When I see the parade pass by I feel less guilty posting on this forum during working hours

Comment

Regarding other bad habits. Sure we all have em. But smoking is one of the few that invades other peoples space. If a heavy smoker rides the elevator does it stink aftewards? Sure does. Can you tell I had a few beers at brewpub? No. Big difference. Quit smoking and you can join the crowd of ex-smokers I know who go "wow, it really does stink and travel a long ways, never noticed it while I was smoking".

Good for you for not taking extra breaks. You're certainly in the minority. You probably pick up your butts too.

Comment

Originally posted by craig333 View Post
                              Regarding other bad habits. Sure we all have em. But smoking is one of the few that invades other peoples space. If a heavy smoker rides the elevator does it stink aftewards? Sure does. Can you tell I had a few beers at brewpub? No. Big difference. Quit smoking and you can join the crowd of ex-smokers I know who go "wow, it really does stink and travel a long ways, never noticed it while I was smoking".

Good for you for not taking extra breaks. You're certainly in the minority. You probably pick up your butts too.
                              Smoking in elevators That was banned many many years ago here! Are you sure you are in California & not France? LOL!

Comment

Really I dont want to join your crowd Craig333, I have friends that are non smokers as well, for Alaska there is no smoking any where in any building but your own home or car.

At work we do not have break. There isnt time ,so if I do a foot patrol and decided to have a smoke as I walk I am going to.

I seen enough guards in my time drunk on the job or stone,so what else is new! Maybe you should change your laws? Or better yet just stay away from the smokers and they can smoke in peace.
                                Last edited by Bern Wheaton; 07-27-2007, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X