• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man Stabbed After Trying to Help Stranger

Would you get involved? Why or why not?

Man Stabbed After Trying to Help Stranger

Reported by: Alan Van Zandt
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 @10:04pm

A St. Joseph man, who survived a stabbing, speaks out about his close call. Mikel Sansonetti said he was stabbed in the lung while trying to save a stranger's life.

Cherish Sansonetti spends time with her husband Mikel, who's sitting in a Heartland Hospital bed lucky to be alive.

"It not only punctured my right ventricle, but it also created a blood clot, a large clot against my lungs so I couldn't breathe," Mikel said.

Doctors said Sansonetti was 15 minutes away from dying after trying to stop a man from beating up a woman outside the downtown Taco Bell.

"They were in between two cars, and he was just punching her in the head," Mikel said.

Sansonetti's natural instincts kicked in and he tried to help.

"He said he was going to stick me, I thought he meant punch me, and then he stabbed me," Mikel said. "I knew as soon as he did it I got stabbed and I looked down at said 'you stabbed me,' I couldn't believe he did it."

Neither could his wife and son, who were there and saw the whole thing.

"We didn't know her, we didn't know them, and we have children and that's all I could think about," Cherish said. "I know we're supposed to help people and I understand that, but I'm having a hard time with that."

The police were soon on the way, but the woman Sansonetti saved wasn't so grateful.

"She ended up telling the guy let's go honey, the cops are coming and you have warrants, and ended up getting in the car with the gentleman anyway and actually driving around me while I was laying on the ground bleeding," Mikel said.

The Sansonetti's are hurt that the woman would be so thoughtless about the man who tried to save her but they're moving on and thinking about Mikel's recovery.

"I am so proud of him and I know and we've talked about this about what we'd do next time," Cherish said. "You know, he'd do it again in a heartbeat, and that's just him. He's definitely my hero."

Police think they know who they're looking for. They said it's only a matter time until they catch him. Sansonnetti should be able to leave the hospital either Wednesday or Thursday.
    "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Sounds like a typical domestic. This is why they're so dangerous, he's lucky that she didn't finish him off.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

We have had other incidents like this posted here before. Getting involved is like grabbing the tail of a fighting dog. You're going to get bit. I've witnessed domestics and my policy is to call the police. It's even dangerous for them, let alone for a civilian.
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security View Post
        We have had other incidents like this posted here before. Getting involved is like grabbing the tail of a fighting dog. You're going to get bit. I've witnessed domestics and my policy is to call the police. It's even dangerous for them, let alone for a civilian.
        Ive intervened in a few domestics at work and I call police before I Intervene. Officer safety is always at the front of my mind. Ive had to use quite a bit of force to stop the male half including baton strikes to yellow areas.
        "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X