Search and Recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search and Recovery

A family of 4 in Minnesota was sucked into a lock & dam on the mississippi and is now presumed drowned. The Sheriffs Dept put out a call for volunteers, and myself and a few others from work answered that call. We spent all day today walking the shoreline and searching the river by boat. Right now I am sitting in my hotel room, getting ready to go to bed so we can get out again tomorrow morning. I took a few pictures to share with my boss, and I thought I would share a few with SIW. Also, let's not get into some stupid discussion that "OMG they let you wear Sheriffs Vests?!". I am lucky to live in a state where LE & Security work together, and besides... they instructed us to wear them.

"To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

cool... search and rescue teams here are ran through the sheriff so you get "sheriff titled things tooo..." and are sworn members of the sheriff dept without le powers..

http://www.slsheriff.org/html/org/sar/index.html
    Last edited by UtahProtectionForce; 05-15-2007, 08:18 PM.
    Its not how we die that counts.....
    Its not how we lived that counts....
    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

He just IMed me one morning going, "I'm waiting for the Sheriff to call back." He got a wild hair up his six about going to help search for some people, then the Sheriff himself called back and said, "Come on down."

Next thing you know, he's out on a boat with his Panasonic Tough Book sending me IMs on the river.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Looks like a form of "deputising".
        Looks like it works.
        Observe and report what you saw with a good flashlight.
        Bedtime at sunrise

Comment

Well the last two days have been long and hard. Early this morning, we finally recovered one of the bodies. I am posting a handful of pics from Tuesday & Wednesday. My team will remain through Friday most likely.

"To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Comment

I'm glad that your employer allowed you to use a company vehicle to go to this. Good luck. Remember to utilize any CISD resources available.

Comment

I don't think the guy in the car is Derick.

Did he drive all the way out there to bring you your uniforms, or did you pack em?

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Thumbs up on the Camelback, but how do you buckle your duty belt?

Comment

Originally posted by wilrobnson
                    Thumbs up on the Camelback, but how do you buckle your duty belt?
                    I'm gonna guess buckleless

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                      I don't think the guy in the car is Derick.

Did he drive all the way out there to bring you your uniforms, or did you pack em?
                      LOL I realized that...My vision aint that bad yet. I just reckoned maybe the emloyer allowed a few guys to take a vehicle down.

Comment

I think the guy in the car is the owner.

I understand now that Derick is roaming my state.

Comment

Well, today was a good day. We recovered two more bodies in the early morning. Seeing the body of the 9 year old girl was very tough. It tugs at your heart strings in a bad way. Morale is much higher now that we know we only have the little boy to recover. State Patrol and Med-Link both had helicopters in the air. The interesting part was the Blue Angels practicing overhead for this weekends air show. The roar of the jets and the fancy formations was slightly distracting, but very cool. Tomorrow is my last day down here, and I am hoping to end it on a good note. Everyone wants nothing more than to find the little boy, and bring closure to the family.

Last edited by davis002; 05-18-2007, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X