Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hank1
    replied
    Other than a service dog, I have not seen a pet tolerant mall ever. It has to a violation of law, statute, code somewhere I would imagine. It is a health and safety hazard afterall. A slip and fall or animal attack lawsuit will change the Management's pet tolerant policy real quick. And lastly, as Nathan stated previously. Get out means now not later.

Be Safe,

Hank

Leave a comment:

• FireEMSPolice
    replied
    Woohoo! As of 10-1-07, no more pets allowed in the mall (service dogs exempt). About time.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    I've had that happen, my reaction was the same.

"You won't shoot my dog!"

No, sir, I'll spray the dog, then shoot you for using deadly force against me.

Leave a comment:

• Echos13
    replied
    It is clearly posted on the open-air promenade entrances to the facility. No animals for the exception of service animals. We even know the administrative code for it in case some back yard lawyer wants to complain that their $5,000 prize poodle deserves special treatment. As for service animals they have to be identified by ether a vest, placard or collar. Including the owner or operator having the appropriate papers in their possession. We have had patrons try to BS that their animal is a service dog. No ID, no papers, no way. If they want to complain we give them a form to fill out. 99% said complainers just leave. Some have tried to sneak in with their pets under their shirts, in purses and even in suit cases on wheels.

There was in incident last year with the Sr. Captain. Some guy came right up to the entrance looking right at the signs. He and his dog (a dogo argentino) started to just keep going. My Captain was on foot patrol and stopped him.

C: “Sir”. “No none service animals allowed here”. “Please take your dog to the dog walk area over there” (points).
    P: “Why?”
    C: “It’s regulation” (points to sign).
    P: “I’m not walking all the way over there. I want to get a paper and go to the vending machines”.
    C: “Sir, please return your dog to your vehicle or the dog walk”.
    P: “You have no business telling me what to do or say concerning my dog”. (Looks at the with a sneary look).
    C: (smiles) “I’m sorry sir. But it’s regulation”.
    P: (Makes a hard stance, says something like "eat s***") “- then says something in German to dog-“.
    DOG: Sits up and bears teeth, growling.
    C: (Proceeds to unsnap his holster, placing hand on service weapon).
    P: “Whaaa… you wouldn’t shoot my dog would you!?”
    C: “No sir. It’s not the dogs fault”.
    P: (Looks at the Captain puzzled).
    C: “But I would have no problem putting a couple into you though”.
    P: (Blinks, says something in German to the dog again and they both leave).

This happens a lot folks. Believe it or not. We have had incidents to where patrons have "accidentally" (more like deliberately) let their dogs loose just to intimidate an officer. One lady “accidentally” let go of her leash one day and thought it would bite at or make the officer retreat. It actually decided to attack another patron’s dog. This rule is set just because of this problem. Other dogs attacking other dogs or patrons. But a health concern is also part of it. Some people have complained about stepping in dog doo in places that sometimes patrons manage to sneak into.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Smart chicken.

Leave a comment:

• Curtis Baillie
    replied
    I recently was in Puerto Rico where I saw a rooster running loose in a mall. This was a very nice mall - not like a open street vendor mall. This mall had all of the brand name stores in it. You also see chickens running loose in the business districts of the various towns - even saw one crossing the street using the pedestrian crosswalk. When I asked my guide about it he said, "it's their answer to "free range chicken".

Leave a comment:

• acrand
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric
    I can see malls being more pet tolerant when temperatures outside are not suitable for pets left in vehicles.

Reading the original post made me think of liabilites / incidents waiting to happen as well as the problems noted.
    This is just an example of how people feel they have some great sense of entitlement. Simply put. If the temperature outside is too warm for your animal, keep it at home. It should not be the mall's responsibility to allow pets because it's to hot outside.

Leave a comment:

• Chucky
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    Some states have laws that make it fraud to pass off a non-service animal as a service animal. Also, aren't service animals required to be marked as such?

The second one is just a guess.
    Would sheep be considered a service animal?

Leave a comment:

• FireEMSPolice
    replied
    Originally posted by alamedaad
    I used to work in an indoor mall that had a pet policy as yours did. I got so tired of reprimanding the "Paris Hilton's" of the world who had their chihuahuas in their purses that I just started pretending I didn't see it (unless it was out walking on the floor, then I'd say something). This worked fine until I ran into a guy walking his rainbow iguana on a leash. I reprimanded the man, advised him that he would have to remove the lizard from the mall. The man actually had the nerve to tell me that it was his SEEING EYE IGUANA and that ADA allowed him to have it. I politely advised the man he had 30 seconds to head for the door or I could not be held responsible for my actions . . . . :-) Don't you just love being a public servant sometimes?
    Thats the thing, where does it end? Anything that can be classified as a pet is allowable. Snakes, lizards, monkeys, etc etc. As long as its under control and a few other things, I have no say but all I can do is shake my head.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Some states have laws that make it fraud to pass off a non-service animal as a service animal. Also, aren't service animals required to be marked as such?

The second one is just a guess.

Leave a comment:

• alamedaad
    replied
    " Companion Animals "

I used to work in an indoor mall that had a pet policy as yours did. I got so tired of reprimanding the "Paris Hilton's" of the world who had their chihuahuas in their purses that I just started pretending I didn't see it (unless it was out walking on the floor, then I'd say something). This worked fine until I ran into a guy walking his rainbow iguana on a leash. I reprimanded the man, advised him that he would have to remove the lizard from the mall. The man actually had the nerve to tell me that it was his SEEING EYE IGUANA and that ADA allowed him to have it. I politely advised the man he had 30 seconds to head for the door or I could not be held responsible for my actions . . . . :-) Don't you just love being a public servant sometimes?

Leave a comment:

• FireEMSPolice
    replied
    Well to keep the health department happy,a few things are done:

1. We kick the pet owners and their pets out of the food court or any eating area out when we see them.

2. If a pet has an "accident", we eject them (pet and owner) for the remainder of the day

3. I do not let people use mall strollers for pet transport

I wish people would leave the pets at home.

Leave a comment:

• Charger
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric
    I can see malls being more pet tolerant when temperatures outside are not suitable for pets left in vehicles.

Reading the original post made me think of liabilites / incidents waiting to happen as well as the problems noted.
    Eric brings up a good point here. The shopping mall I used to do security for, had a strict no-pets policy indoors, with the exception of seeing-eye dogs, etc.

On the other hand, we were also EXPECTED to look for animals in the parking lot that had been left in vehicles during hot weather, without any windows down for ventilation, water, etc.

So where does the line get drawn? Simple: LEAVE THE PETS AT HOME. We had a few run-ins with customers who didn't want to leave them in the car, but they left without incident when we repeated our position and showed that we weren't going to budge on the issue. We also had a few customers cited by PD for animal neglect for the vehicle thing. Eventually, we stopped having issues. Proper signage is good, but word of mouth can be an amazing tool.

Leave a comment:

• Eric
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    There is a mall where individuals drive up take the pets out of the back seat or cargo area and let them relieve themselves in the grassy areas and then put them back into vehicles and drive off. The maintenance personnel clean up after them.
    These people must be seen doing it by a police officer before they can be cited.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X