Pet policy - dumb and embarassing - RANT WARNING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet policy - dumb and embarassing - RANT WARNING

The mall I work at is "pet tolerant." This means you can shop with your pet. Pet being a broad word as long as the pet is under control. We have had dogs, cats, snakes, monkeys, kangaroos, etc. As long as you can call it a pet and it is under control, its allowable. As a Supervisor, I have yet to see any guidelines on this after repeated requests. What I do see is numerous comment cards (more against pets in the mall then for) as well as irresponsible pet owners who let their pets do their "business" in the mall. I am sorry, our housekeepers should not have to clean that up nor should Security Officers respond to keep people from walking in it. Sometimes pet owners will stand-by or will pick it up themselves. If they pick it up themselves, they usually put it in a trash can which means now housekeeping needs to come and change the trash bag.

The other day, this girls dog went diarrhea all over the place near a kiosk. So I responded to eject the dog as per our orders (I cant say policy since I have not seen anything in writing) when a pet has an "accident" inside the mall. My dispatcher also had housekeeping respond ASAP. Upon my arrival this girl was sitting there yelling at her dog (like it knows better), creating a scene all the while the while the guy is losing business and the smell is awful. She tells me she is here with roommates and they are elsewhere in the mall. She calls them while I am explaining the dog needs to leave. The roommates finally show up and take the dog out after she was saying a few choice words my way.

Once the dog is gone, the one roommate comes to a Guest Reception to complain that her friend (ejected dogs owner) felt like I rushed her, etc etc and wanted to speak to management. I told her that I am as close as management gets as it gets at that point since it was close to closing time and management typically. She wanted to file a complaint against me for rushing her friend out of the mall. Another friend of hers admitted the dog cant control itself. Did I rush her out? Possibly since some dogs keep going and going I didnt want more messes.

This policy sucks for many reasons and its embarassing when I or my Security Officers have to stand by and l while people look at us for allowing this to happen by allowing pets. Not only is it unsanitary, but people are allergic as well and some pets are dangerous. I went into a jewlery store to deliver some paperwork and as soon as I came around the corner there was a Doberman and a German Shepherd looking right at me in the store. I stopped dead in my tracks. Here I am unarmed and defenseless to help myself or a guest in the event of an attack. Trust me, I have seen dogs pass by and start to fight.

Sorry for the long post folks and would appreciate feedback

Does anyone else have a pet policy?
    "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Where is this? In most Canadian cities it is illegal to bring dogs (except seeing eye dogs) into commercial places.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Its in Ohio. Actually, all of the company's 26 properties across the US are slated to be "pet tolerant." We try hard to keep them out of eating areas since, at least where I am at, there is a city health ordinance. Its not like we are some rundown place either. This is a pretty upscale mall.

Comment

Um, you ejected someone. The whole point is they leave on your time table, not theirs. There is no "rushing" an unwelcome visitor out. If the person refused to leave, would you of arrested or ejected them for trespass?

Its no different. Once they've been told to go, its time to go, or someone makes them go. "I'll go in a minute" is not going.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

N. A. Corbier, I agree with you. Management most likely will not. They are about "customer service"

Anyone else allow pets? Have any policies?

Comment

Not having to deal with the crap (no pun intended but couldn't resist) I think this is funny though I know from your view it is anything but funny. I can only imagine a bunch of security officers running around hunting down a dogs crap; like bloodhouds hot on the trail. ROFL

I would go absolutely nuts if I had to work in that kind of environment - between the pet nosies, smells and utter chaos that undoubtedly exists - I would need a bottle of tylenol every day and then a serious case of stress managment afterwards.

"Anything for a buck" I say, and this story is a shiny example on what ends clients / management will put security through to get their bottom dollar.

Comment

In my state health laws are very strict about bringing animals (except seeing eye dogs) into any place that serves food to the public. I would guess that your mall has a food court and other booths that sell food. As John Q public I think it's time for you and all your friends as citizens to inform the local board of health about the pet hair in your food at the mall.
              THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
              THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
              http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

There is a mall where individuals drive up take the pets out of the back seat or cargo area and let them relieve themselves in the grassy areas and then put them back into vehicles and drive off. The maintenance personnel clean up after them.
                These people must be seen doing it by a police officer before they can be cited.
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill

Comment

I can see malls being more pet tolerant when temperatures outside are not suitable for pets left in vehicles.

Reading the original post made me think of liabilites / incidents waiting to happen as well as the problems noted.
                  Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                  Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
                    I can see malls being more pet tolerant when temperatures outside are not suitable for pets left in vehicles.

Reading the original post made me think of liabilites / incidents waiting to happen as well as the problems noted.
                    Eric brings up a good point here. The shopping mall I used to do security for, had a strict no-pets policy indoors, with the exception of seeing-eye dogs, etc.

On the other hand, we were also EXPECTED to look for animals in the parking lot that had been left in vehicles during hot weather, without any windows down for ventilation, water, etc.

So where does the line get drawn? Simple: LEAVE THE PETS AT HOME. We had a few run-ins with customers who didn't want to leave them in the car, but they left without incident when we repeated our position and showed that we weren't going to budge on the issue. We also had a few customers cited by PD for animal neglect for the vehicle thing. Eventually, we stopped having issues. Proper signage is good, but word of mouth can be an amazing tool.
                    Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                    Originally posted by ValleyOne
                    BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                    Shoulda called in sick.
                    Be safe!

Comment

Well to keep the health department happy,a few things are done:

1. We kick the pet owners and their pets out of the food court or any eating area out when we see them.

2. If a pet has an "accident", we eject them (pet and owner) for the remainder of the day

3. I do not let people use mall strollers for pet transport

I wish people would leave the pets at home.

Comment

" Companion Animals "

I used to work in an indoor mall that had a pet policy as yours did. I got so tired of reprimanding the "Paris Hilton's" of the world who had their chihuahuas in their purses that I just started pretending I didn't see it (unless it was out walking on the floor, then I'd say something). This worked fine until I ran into a guy walking his rainbow iguana on a leash. I reprimanded the man, advised him that he would have to remove the lizard from the mall. The man actually had the nerve to tell me that it was his SEEING EYE IGUANA and that ADA allowed him to have it. I politely advised the man he had 30 seconds to head for the door or I could not be held responsible for my actions . . . . :-) Don't you just love being a public servant sometimes?
                        The law is reason free from passion." -- Aristotle

Comment

Some states have laws that make it fraud to pass off a non-service animal as a service animal. Also, aren't service animals required to be marked as such?

The second one is just a guess.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by alamedaad
                            I used to work in an indoor mall that had a pet policy as yours did. I got so tired of reprimanding the "Paris Hilton's" of the world who had their chihuahuas in their purses that I just started pretending I didn't see it (unless it was out walking on the floor, then I'd say something). This worked fine until I ran into a guy walking his rainbow iguana on a leash. I reprimanded the man, advised him that he would have to remove the lizard from the mall. The man actually had the nerve to tell me that it was his SEEING EYE IGUANA and that ADA allowed him to have it. I politely advised the man he had 30 seconds to head for the door or I could not be held responsible for my actions . . . . :-) Don't you just love being a public servant sometimes?
                            Thats the thing, where does it end? Anything that can be classified as a pet is allowable. Snakes, lizards, monkeys, etc etc. As long as its under control and a few other things, I have no say but all I can do is shake my head.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                              Some states have laws that make it fraud to pass off a non-service animal as a service animal. Also, aren't service animals required to be marked as such?

The second one is just a guess.
                              Would sheep be considered a service animal?
                              THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                              THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                              http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X