Weird Phone Number...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Phone Number...

This phone number just showed up on my home phone's caller ID. Now, I know that CID can be spoofed, but its such an odd number.

187-720-9416

There's no 187 area code, obviously, since the area codes start with 201 and up. They let it ring three times, then hung up. I generally let the answering machine catch calls, especially when it shows up "unknown name" and odd telephone numbers.

Anyone have any idea? Google doesn't know what to make of it.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Try 1-877-720-9416
    Thats the only thing I can think of. Those cid maskers come up with really wierd numbers. I got one once that was 710-7345 (shel-oil upside down) it was a middle eastern telemarketer.

Comment

It may of been a hiccup, but it was odd. Someone informed me that 187 used to be the area code of Atlanta, Georgia. But AT&T transferred it to California, and then discontinued it.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

At the risk of proving my lack of knowledge on such matters, could it be an IP address?
        Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
        Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
          This phone number just showed up on my home phone's caller ID. Now, I know that CID can be spoofed, but its such an odd number.

187-720-9416

There's no 187 area code, obviously, since the area codes start with 201 and up. They let it ring three times, then hung up. I generally let the answering machine catch calls, especially when it shows up "unknown name" and odd telephone numbers.

Anyone have any idea? Google doesn't know what to make of it.
          It's obviously a thinly-veiled death threat. 187 is the well-known California penal code for homicide, and 720-9416...

Well, it's the date and time... 7/2/09 at 4:16 PM.

Comment

If that's the case - Nathan has a couple of years to catch them.
            Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
            Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by LPGuy
              It's obviously a thinly-veiled death threat. 187 is the well-known California penal code for homicide, and 720-9416...

Well, it's the date and time... 7/2/09 at 4:16 PM.

187-720-9416

1+87-72+09-41+6= 23

Oh wait that was a jim carrey movie, and they can add better than I.

Comment

Amritsar India country code is 183. I'm often getting calls from Sprint to upgrade my cell from India. I would guess that your 187 is one of their codes or some other country codes.
                Or maybe the link below will clear this matter up.

http://www.187.it/cgi-bin/di_187/di/...emand/start.do
                Last edited by Chucky; 03-16-2007, 08:05 PM.
                THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Its common for off-the-wall numbers to come from VOIP providers like Vontage and Skype.

California Security Blog
                  Domain Registration Services

Comment

N.A., see the link below. 187 is apparently an area code in Poland, but I can't imagine the caller id would even be able to pick it up!

http://www.polskiinternet.com/english/info/kierunr.html
                    Richard Dickinson
                    Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
                    DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
                    www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X