Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I write a book for new security officers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I write a book for new security officers?

So, I'm cleaning out my parents' house (finally). Came across a rough draft for a security manual I wrote many, many years ago. I am aware that there are plenty of security manuals out there; this one was more for guards new to the field, giving practical advice rather than just the dry, "Here's how you observe and report; here's what your legal authority is; etc." While the tone would be mostly serious, I'd try to make it interesting. (And pictures, lots of pictures for the iphone generation.)

Everything has changed so much in the last 20 years that I would have to work out how and where I would publish (epublish) it. The one thing that makes me consider tossing it in the recycle bin and moving on is that the "typical" new guard that I see would have no interest in it - security is just the temporary job, the college job or the p/t job to get by until something better comes a long.

You can be as honest as you want - my ego isn't fragile, and my recycle bin is big enough...

YES !!! Do not toss out the rough draft for a security manual !!!! Away back I was a Pinkerton Security Guard, 1970's. '80s, '90s
    You were proud to be a Pinkerton Security Guard Thomas Wathen wrote an excellent book

"SUCURITY SUBJECT A PRIMER FOR PROTECTION OFFICER" To this day, 30+ years I still read the book

Boys, and Girls I have been a Guard for 50 years, and basic being a good Guard has not changed
    Yes technology is good But walking patrols, monitoring cameras, good INFORMATIVE DARs, being on time, working nicely
    with people has not changed

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	46
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	249205
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

My motivation at the time was that so much of the job seemed to be "learn as you go." I really wish someone had given me some practical tips to make things easier when i first started.

Part of the problem for a general manual is you can't get too specific, because you have 50 sets of regulations for this industry. The fact that we operate in some gray areas of the law doesn't help either.

One reason why I know the regs that apply to my job is I wanted to know what EXACTLY I needed to do (or not do) as a guard when dealing with the bad guys. It definitely comes in handy with the jailhouse lawyers and the kids who start the interaction with, "My daddy is a lawyer..."

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
      Working...
      X