A few thoughts for the Fourth of July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few thoughts for the Fourth of July

This one will be tough for a lot of people - inflation, high gas prices and politicians and judges on both sides that are clearly neither leaders nor intellectuals. I've posted a lot of times about the 4th over the years, but I think this year, especially, some thoughts bear repeating.

Remember that we are still freer than a lot of other places. We don't have warlords demanding tolls in our neighborhoods, enforced by thug teens with AK-47s. You don't get your door kicked in at 3:00am and dragged off to an "education camp" because you criticized the dictator that runs the place, or you had a Bible in your house.

We still have the right of free assembly, and although some abuse it, it is one of the rights that we use to make ourselves heard. Our system has corruption, but it isn't as corrupt as a lot of places. (If I want to get out of my speeding ticket, I have to go before a judge and make my case - I don't have to make sure I carry enough 20s or cartons of cigarettes to "pay" the ticket on the road side.)

So grill some meat, thank a vet, drink a beer and enjoy (legal) fireworks. Our voices and our votes still mean something - and I hope we all find a way to make sure it stays that way.

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
    This one will be tough for a lot of people - inflation, high gas prices and politicians and judges on both sides that are clearly neither leaders nor intellectuals. I've posted a lot of times about the 4th over the years, but I think this year, especially, some thoughts bear repeating.

Remember that we are still freer than a lot of other places. We don't have warlords demanding tolls in our neighborhoods, enforced by thug teens with AK-47s. You don't get your door kicked in at 3:00am and dragged off to an "education camp" because you criticized the dictator that runs the place, or you had a Bible in your house.

We still have the right of free assembly, and although some abuse it, it is one of the rights that we use to make ourselves heard. Our system has corruption, but it isn't as corrupt as a lot of places. (If I want to get out of my speeding ticket, I have to go before a judge and make my case - I don't have to make sure I carry enough 20s or cartons of cigarettes to "pay" the ticket on the road side.)

So grill some meat, thank a vet, drink a beer and enjoy (legal) fireworks. Our voices and our votes still mean something - and I hope we all find a way to make sure it stays that way.
    Pretty Good CG Agree. I have a wide swath of friends Liberal Conservatives We are civil to one another I am darn glad the town I live in Out my way we Love our Police Yes we had a few rogue cops, but they are long gone I like our neighbors I have close friends whose son in the USN on a Submarine somewhere

And this is the best, and politicians and judges on both sides that are clearly neither leaders nor intellectuals.
    We have some VERY BAD POLITICANS Yes Democrats, and Republican

What we need is Good People like you Condo Guard to run for political office
    But your problem YOU ARE TOO HONEST, AND A GOOD PERSON
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Originally posted by copelandamuffy View Post

pretty good cg agree. I have a wide swath of friends liberal conservatives we are civil to one another i am darn glad the town i live in out my way we love our police yes we had a few rogue cops, but they are long gone i like our neighbors i have close friends whose son in the usn on a submarine somewhere

and this is the best"", and politicians and judges on both sides that are clearly neither leaders nor intellectuals.""
      we have some very bad politicans yes democrats, and republican

what we need is good people like you condo guard to run for political office
      but your problem you are too honest, and a good person
      have a good night

http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

I had a good 4th - my brother in law brought over his 4 star cole slaw, I didn't burn the burgers, and the Mariners won their game 8-2.

You hit the nail on the head, Copie. Few honest people would run these days - after the media reviews you and drags out some old high school enemy that says you did x or y, then you have to bow down before the party leadership and tow the line to get the nomination and the funding.

And they're all such hypocrites, doing the exact things they preach against. When they released the list of ethics violations for Congress (specifically, insider trading) trust me, the list was pretty evenly distributed between "R" and "D."

But I always have hope, Cope. The pendulum does swing. I notice a lot of communities are re-funding their police, and in Seattle there is now an open discussion about our progressive judges that just let criminals go over and over again. (This would have been unheard of in 2020.) And I notice even in the liberal media, they've figured out that maybe, just maybe, printing money like a drunken sailor is running the Treasury leads to inflation. Now if Joe can figure out which end of the pen the ink comes out of, we may be on our way to fixing things...

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X