X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copelandamuffy
    replied
    Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
    Part of it is how people watch games, but I think what isn't mentioned in the article is how sports are presented on TV. I don't know how games are shown on the premium cable channels, but I know network coverage is unwatchable with all the commercial breaks. I don't watch EPSN, but I've heard conservatives have drifted away because it's gotten political - if that's the case, shame on Disney - the purpose of the channel is right in the name.

Case in point, U.S. Women's Soccer. The mistake the captain of the team made is she expressed her views in the context of soccer, and rather prematurely. Win the World Cup FIRST. Then, if you don't want to go to the White House, don't go. You can give a reason when you are clearly being a private citizen. in other words, show some class.

I don't need my sports stars to be heroes (I agree with Charles Barkley's famous line about not being a role model), but when you have people whose personal lives are such train wrecks it does become a distraction. And if I had young kids, I would not let them wear certain player's jerseys - I don't endorse criminal behavior on or off the field.
    Excellent viewpoint CG. Play the f*cking game, and STFU
    I could give a crap about your political views

Class? It appears lost in today's sports world
    Prima Donnas One reason the Boston Celtics lost in the NBA finals was the factor, 12 players all for themselves
    NHL, hockey, still team players. St. Louis Blues won as a team

Good for Charles Barkley
    Micky Mantle once lectured some kid, who told Mickey Mantle, "You are my hero"
    Micky Mantle said to the kids. "I am not a hero, I drink, and although I am married
    sleep with other women on road trips"

Oh yes and toss this in CG.
    Al Horford of the NBA Philadelphia 76'ers signed a four
    year contract for $100 million dollars
    F*ck the NBA

$100 million dollars for "4" years?
    You only work October until April or May
    And only play 80 or so games a year
    SCREW YOU

Leave a comment:

• Condo Guard
    replied
    Part of it is how people watch games, but I think what isn't mentioned in the article is how sports are presented on TV. I don't know how games are shown on the premium cable channels, but I know network coverage is unwatchable with all the commercial breaks. I don't watch EPSN, but I've heard conservatives have drifted away because it's gotten political - if that's the case, shame on Disney - the purpose of the channel is right in the name.

Case in point, U.S. Women's Soccer. The mistake the captain of the team made is she expressed her views in the context of soccer, and rather prematurely. Win the World Cup FIRST. Then, if you don't want to go to the White House, don't go. You can give a reason when you are clearly being a private citizen. in other words, show some class.

I don't need my sports stars to be heroes (I agree with Charles Barkley's famous line about not being a role model), but when you have people whose personal lives are such train wrecks it does become a distraction. And if I had young kids, I would not let them wear certain player's jerseys - I don't endorse criminal behavior on or off the field.

Last edited by Condo Guard; 07-01-2019, 02:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• copelandamuffy
    replied
    CG:

Old farts are in attendance at games
    And the NHL, and NFL are not far behind
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...ces-2017-06-30

Leave a comment:

• Condo Guard
    replied
    I heard a story on NPR recently - MLB is looking at sponsoring youth sports and building play fields to entice younger fans and build a fan base. They are also looking at more rules changes to speed up the game, but I'm not sure I'm on board with this - there is a certain charm in watching a sport that's been around since the early part of the 20th century.

Part of the problem is you have teams that really don't care about being competitive. The Seattle Mariners management / ownership has been content to be profitable with Japanese TV deals and OK attendance for years. Now they reap what they've sowed - Seattle is rolling in money (so people can afford more options), we have hockey (and possibly basketball) coming to town, and people are tired of the same old "it's a re-building year..." line season after season. (I think this year was really tough on Mariner's fans because they started out good and then slumped.)

You're right about building regional teams - the Seahawks benefit from having fans in a 4 state area - kind of cool to see the blue and green jerseys in Alaska...
    Last edited by Condo Guard; 06-28-2019, 03:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• copelandamuffy
    started a topic $2.00 for Major League baseball game

$2.00 for Major League baseball game

https://www.wfla.com/news/rays-offer...ainst-orioles/

$2.00 per ticket? “Six” tickets, “$36”, and $2,00 for a Coke or Pepsi

And the Rays are a good team this year. Playoff contenders

I have the MLB network. Watch a game on a weekday afternoon
    Atlanta, Oakland, , Miami. Chicago White Sox. Baltimore
    Empty seats disguised as fans.

Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees, , Cardinal's, Red Sox do well
    in attendance, but these teams have been around for eons

{ Tampa Rays owners were wise, move Rays to Nashville. You'd entice fans
    from Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, Arkansas, Kentucky, Carolinas}

Parking at Tropicana field, and you are smack next to Interstate 175 in Tampa
    Bet parking at Tropicana is lots cheaper then other baseball teams

Last edited by copelandamuffy; 06-27-2019, 03:59 PM.

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X