A few words on voting...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few words on voting...

Figured I'd post this now, since I'm sure a lot of us vote by mail due to our schedules. No matter what your party is, vote. I think part of the problem is there is such low turnout (except for presidential years) that a small group of partisans on both sides gets to dictate the laws and taxes for the rest of us.

Read your voters pamphlet. Note who the biggest contributors are to any given campaign or initiative - you'll learn a lot. For example. WA currently has a "no grocery tax" initiative, sponsored by Coca-Cola. WA already does not tax groceries, but Seattle recently passed a soda tax. You can connect the dots.

Look at the fine print - our feel good gun initiative sounds good - except if you are convicted of not storing your gun properly and it gets used in a crime, you could be charged with a FELONY. Its all in the fine print.

So, take a few minutes to get informed, no matter what side you are on, and then go vote. The more reasonable, informed people who get in the game, the better our country will get.
    Last edited by Condo Guard; 10-20-2018, 08:07 PM.

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
    Figured I'd post this now, since I'm sure a lot of us vote by mail due to our schedules. No matter what your party is, vote. I think part of the problem is there is such low turnout (except for presidential years) that a small group of partisans on both sides gets to dictate the laws and taxes for the rest of us.

Read your voters pamphlet. Note who the biggest contributors are to any given campaign or initiative - you'll learn a lot. For example. WA currently has a "no grocery tax" initiative, sponsored by Coca-Cola. WA already does not tax groceries, but Seattle recently passed a soda tax. You can connect the dots.

Look at the fine print - our feel good gun initiative sounds good - except if you are convicted of not storing your gun properly and it gets used in a crime, you could be charged with a FELONY. Its all in the fine print.

So, take a few minutes to get informed, no matter what side you are on, and then go vote. The more reasonable, informed people who get in the game, the better our country will get.
    Bravo. Stop watching the talking heads at CNN/FOX. Stop watching Sean Hanniity, Tucker Carlson at FOX> Don Lemon and Wolf Blitzer at CNN
    And Good Lord do not believe what you read at Twitter, or Facebook.

I am a Conservative/Republican, and not ashamed to say who I am
    BUT, I have more respect for those who VOTE Democrat and Liberal
    Key word..VOTE

Some of my
    Conservative/Republican,
    friends piss and moan about Nancy Pelosi, but don't take the time to VOTE
    STFU if don't take time to VOTE

http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Add this to voting. Not just your United States member of Congress, or Unnited States Senator, but your state and local elected officials

Governor
      Lieutenant Governor
      Treasurer
      Mayor
      State Senate
      Member of School Committee
      Local elected officials who represent you !!

And yes Ballot Question. Here in Massachusetts there is a ballot Question to insure there is adequate Nurses in hospitals. Nurses, yes men and women who care for us when we ar sick, are overtaxed with too many patients, and too few Nurses.

Some states have 5/10/ Ballot Questions

As posted above my vote gears to right of center, but have voted Democrat, because the Republican candidate was a blithering idiot ..I took the time to read, and so should you

And before I sign off, remember this, and remember it well
      In this election we are hearing putting people in Power
      This group is going to put more of them in Power

Power? Want to know who is in Power? YOU, ME.US
      Whether it is President Trump. Nancy Pelosi, Elizabeth Warren, Chuck Schumer
      We are their bosses, and we can fire them at any time
      We are in command, not the politicians

Comment

We can't "fire them at any time", otherwise most would have been gone long ago. It doesn't work that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
          We can't "fire them at any time", otherwise most would have been gone long ago. It doesn't work that way.
          OK, explain "how it works".

This should be good.

But IMO the real prob is the unelected Civil Service. That make voting mostly useless. As a prime example I point to nearby Oakland PD ongoing "crisis". They had a big stinking case about 15 YEARS ago that exposed all sorts of nasty stuff in the "main body" of OPD, not just some branch or unit. Not a single OPD cop got fired or even "laid off". Pretty sure if Oakland VOTERS had any say their entire PD would be sacked.

Similarly, most of us have done over a decade in Public School. EVERY school has good and bad teachers. EVERYONE has the same opinion of who is good and bad at the job. Smart, dumb, boys, girls, White, Black, fat, skinny, rich, poor kids (and parents), and long time former students will ALL give same teachers same "grade" or job rating. But the bad ones never get fired for just not being good teachers. Again, no voter input allowed.

It doesn't matter what the voters want.
          Last edited by Squid; 10-23-2018, 11:51 PM.

Comment

I recommend always and only voting for "fringe" candidates. That is NOT 'throwing your vote away', au contrare those are the ONLY votes that count, and they are the ONLY votes that are looked at and will greatly affect what the winner does IN THE COMING TERM.

Winner Take All election means "both" sides end up getting close to 50%, and they tend to be very close in all policy. No one cares if vote GOP or DNC because of some minor diff in policy, or if your family "has always" or some other bland reason. They can't tell WHY you voted the way you did.

But if you vote for "Canine Rights" or "Green Party" or "Pro-Life" single issue candidates that sure tells them WHY you voted, and WHOEVER is in office next will, WHILE IN OFFICE, shift policy to try and re-capture "straying" votes, hoping to get that 1% that will win the next CLOSE race.

CA has a "jungle primary" where only two top are on this ballot, so can't really vote fringe in most cases. Best to vote for whoever is going to lose. That will make next Primary better for fringe vote.

This is a Political Theory I've come up with all on my own. What does the Brain Trust say?

Comment

Well, as always, you're sort of right and kinda wrong. Both parties pay attention to the fringe and adjust in close races - Republicans deliberately become more libertarian when needed, Dems spout stuff they think will appeal to Greens. The one thing I will give to Republicans is they don't blame third parties when they lose, something the Democrats did in 2000 and 2016, despite they fact there is no credible study showing that voting for Ralph Nader or Jill Stein had ANY effect on the outcome.

Yes, the entrenched civil service is an issue. The problem with both parties is the winning candidate has to pay off his donors and cronies with favors when he wins.

Americans tend to vote when they are upset about something, and both parties know it. FEAR is always a big factor, and it never leads to good choices. Trump is NOT the next Hitler. Hilary was NOT going to turn the country into a transgender, vegetarian nightmare and take everyone's guns. If more people got informed with real news, and thought about things instead of just voting with their gut, we wouldn't see the things we are seeing.

Comment

The problem with both parties is the winning candidate has to pay off his donors and cronies with favors when he wins.

If more people got informed with real news, and thought about things instead of just voting with their gut, we wouldn't see the things we are seeing.

AMEN CG

Did the Early Voting here in Massachusetts. Voted against Elizabeth Warren
                Republicans could have had a Blind Ass Ape be their candidate, and my vote would be for the APE.

Vote here in Massachusetts for
                Governor. Charlie Baker is a Republican in name only. RINO More Liberal views than Conservative views, BUT is fiscally wise… our taxes are not in the Ionosphere, and believes strongly in Blue Lives Matter. Blue Lives Matter.? That would be the men and women in your police department

Locally. School committee. My kids are long out of school, but I am concerned the curriculum and courses are being taught in our schools. And the Principals in our schools

Lots of ballot questions. I maybe tight fisted/ and no fan of government regs.
                But do believe hospitals should provide adequate nurses. Question One mandates proper staffing of nurses

YOU ONLY HAVE YOURSELF TO BLAME IF YOU DO NOT VOTE, AND YOU DON’T LIKE WHAT’S GOING ON AT YOUR STATE CAPITAL, OR IN D.C.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X