No announcement yet.

Don't build a bomb shelter just yet...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't build a bomb shelter just yet...

So, the mainstream media breathlessly announced that North Korea can now hit Boston. And then, buried deep in every article I read, was the caveat that range depends on the weight of the payload, i.e. the bigger the warhead, the less range. And then there is the issue of guidance systems, etc.

I will give Fox News credit for having an expert that reiterated that NK looks at these weapons as a deterrent. Despite the aggressive propaganda (mostly for their own people), they're not planning an attack so much as deterring the U.S. from attacking them. IMHO its also a way to show their patron, China, that they are a powerful regional state also. (China likes having a buffer between a US ally and themselves, even w/ NK's issues.)

Finally, remember, politicians love a crisis to deflect attention away from their failures and their corruption (and that goes for both parties). Yes, we need to deal with rogue nuclear powers - and our do nothing representatives at home. They don't get a free pass just because North Korea is more advanced than we thought.
    Last edited by Condo Guard; 08-08-2017, 06:24 PM.

The news media loves their fear **** but in reality north korea's nuclear program does not pose much of a threat trust me if the politicians are still above ground we are good especially with the new thaad anti missile systems we have and the older patriots missiles.

Comment

Uhhh... no. We ARE in a high threat situation. Your dismissal is based in poor knowledge of the tactical science out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
        Uhhh... no. We ARE in a high threat situation. Your dismissal is based in poor knowledge of the tactical science out there.
        You can think that if you want but a nuclear war is vary unlikely mutually assured destruction is what keeps it at bay. I know quite a bit about tactical systems been a hobby of mine for quite some time also learned a lot from my dad who was in the air force for 10 years.

Comment

Capability does not equal action. The problem here (as it was in the Cuban Missile Crisis) is a miscalculation leading to a tragedy. Neither side wants to re-fight the Korean War. The North Korean generals are fat & wealthy without having to do very much, except to keep the dictator in power - I don't think they want that to change.

There are all kinds of economic and political factors in play, also. We never get that analysis, just the dramatic stuff. The problem is you have a dictator who may feel he has to act to not lose face with his people and his generals, and a president who doesn't like or trust his State Dept. We'll all survive, but I don't envy the people behind the scene working hard to resolve this.

Comment

What i want to know is how does the range of north Korea's missiles go from maybe being able to reach the west coast and that's a big maybe to being able to hit Boston that's quite the range increase in a short amount of time i mean they are basically using souped up scud missiles.

Comment

Your hobby needs much work.

Comment

The trouble with NK is it is hard to get up to date intelligence from people in the know there - they have a tendency to disappear, or get shot with a lot of publicity. Spies and double agents have a low life expectancy. They are also probably buying more advanced technology from other rogue nations or black market dealers (yes, sounds like a Clancy novel, but look at what you can buy on the Dark Net, for example).

The stuff we're told is a mix of disinfomation and the usual "the sky is falling!" propaganda to keep the military industrial complex humming along. But the fact that their missile tests are becoming more successful is cause for concern - both because they are clearly not going to stop and because they are a de facto threat to South Korea and Japan, not to mention Guam and Hawaii.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X