Cell phone providers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell phone providers

Whom or who is your cell phone provider?
    Since we have woman and children who may view this web site I will
    not say what I think of T-Mobile or Sprint, or Verizion

Cingular is okay. At least here in the Boston area they have a lot of cell towers. My wife switched over to Cingular at $35.00 a month with
    a much better package.

My site or account is about a mile from the home of the New England
    Patriot's stadium. Cell towers as far as the eye can see. There there
    so when the Patriots and Tom Brady don't make it into the Super Bowl,
    Pat's fans can call home and cry.
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Originally posted by copelandamuffy
    Whom or who is your cell phone provider?
    Since we have woman and children who may view this web site I will
    not say what I think of T-Mobile or Sprint, or Verizion

Cingular is okay. At least here in the Boston area they have a lot of cell towers. My wife switched over to Cingular at $35.00 a month with
    a much better package.

My site or account is about a mile from the home of the New England
    Patriot's stadium. Cell towers as far as the eye can see. There there
    so when the Patriots and Tom Brady don't make it into the Super Bowl,
    Pat's fans can call home and cry.
    I use Verizon, for the most part I have been good with them. Their accounting division can be idiots sometimes though. Ive had a few problems with payments going through (I pay with an electronic debit), but we get it cleared up pretty quick. A fellow user I know uses electronic checks for their bill payment. Apparently, once, one didnt go through because apparently they messed up the routing number or something like that, so naturally instead of Verizon sending or calling with a notice of "Hey, pay your bill, it didnt work" they just shut the service off.

I like their service for the most part, I get pretty good coverage, I enjoy the mobile to mobile and free nights. It would be nice if we got the "rollover" idea, but that will be in the future Im sure. The only thing I dont particularly like is phone purchases. Once on a foot patrol one night, I got rain in the transmitter part of my phone and it fried it so I could receive but not transmit voice over the phone, so I go to a Kiosk to get a new phone. I had just gotten back from my month of Hurricane duty, so I had an extra 5 or 6 grand to throw around. I looked at the phones and decided, "Hey, why dont I get a brand new super-cool phone?" Well, the damn people would NOT sell me one. They told me about how it wouldnt be a good deal, and I should wait till Feburary (this was in Novemberish last year)...

I tried my arse off to convince them I wanted a new phone, but they held firm even though I was willing to pay full price. (You would think they woulda jumped all over that ) Oh well, I got a free replacement phone that day... which I still have this very day
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

I have had Cingular since 1999, and have had good luck with them.
      My wife had T-Mobile and they were bad to the bone.
      I have and now my wife have bought used refurbished phones from Cingular and found
      they work just as well. No bells or whistles.
      http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

I've been using Nextel for 5 years now, and for a year before that with my parent's phones. I remember back when Nextel had AWSOME coverage and service. My biggest complaint was that their customer call centers worked "bankers hours" and was often closed in the evening when I had a dead phone.

I now have access to customer service 24x7x265, being on a goverment account, but the service has gone downhill over the last 3 years... and has STUNK for the last year. I spent 3 weeks in Louisana in September of 2005. Around Baton Rouge, Direct Connect worked, but I couldn't make cell phone calls for a week in mid-september. When I made it into New Orleans 2 weeks after the storm... I had Direct Connect almost all the way through, while some of my co-workers didn't.

The other good thing about Goverment account service is that if I call and complain about poor service somewhere, they will actually TAKE The complaint and tell me they will send a tech out (not sure if they do... but my parents can't get that service on their account)

Anyway... I've been PROMISED by the #1 local Nextel retailer that Nextel will be "back to what they were 5 years ago" by First Quarter 2007... I figure I'll ride it out until then, anyway... then I'll look at going to Cingular or Verizon.

Jon
        The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed.

Comment

Our company uses all nextels. At one point, our dispatching was also all done with nextels until we got the radios on repeaters. I personally have been using the nextel for 7 years and I can honestly say that its been the best cell service ever. I do agree with the prior post though, since they merged with Sprint, the service has gone down hill. It seems like just any other provider. However, we have worked with one radcom store in the area that provided nextels. They would work on our phones on the spot if there was a problem, and if it couldnt be fixed, they would replace it on the spot too, no charge!

I highly recommend nextel to everyone!

Their wireless cards stink though. We use verizon wireless broadband cards on our squad laptops. It works like when Im at home!

Comment

Rogers. I believe they are the biggest or 2nd biggest in Canada before or after Bell Canada.
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I've had Verizon, AT&T, and t-mobile. I had so many dropped calls on all of them. I moved to Alltel 3 years ago and have not had 1 dropped call. It's amazing but true. Plus the plan I have all long distance including overseas is one base price, it also includes all text messaging, etc. Not bad for $150/month. The other providers averaged 300-400 a month.

Comment

Dropped calls are not always the fault of the provider. Sometimes it's the phone. I had one made by the same Japanese company that makes cars (can't spell the name, starts with M). It was terrible. Dropped almost every call I made. Got a phone from another maker but on the same provider & it never dropped a call.

Speaking of cell phones. Does your company pay for it's use?

Mine does not but they pay for my pager. I'm on call from 21h00 to 05h00 & my cell phone use is free during these hours so it doesn't matter.
                Last edited by HotelSecurity; 11-30-2006, 08:29 PM.
                I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by WISecurityGuy
                  Our company uses all nextels. At one point, our dispatching was also all done with nextels until we got the radios on repeaters. I personally have been using the nextel for 7 years and I can honestly say that its been the best cell service ever. I do agree with the prior post though, since they merged with Sprint, the service has gone down hill. It seems like just any other provider. However, we have worked with one radcom store in the area that provided nextels. They would work on our phones on the spot if there was a problem, and if it couldnt be fixed, they would replace it on the spot too, no charge!

I highly recommend nextel to everyone!

Their wireless cards stink though. We use verizon wireless broadband cards on our squad laptops. It works like when Im at home!
                  Nextel is good up here, indeed. And I agree on the wireless cards. Never go with Nextel wireless cards, they're only at 14.4k. Even the sprint cards are faster than that!

Verizon wins simply because during 3 hurricanes, they kept their service running (wireless) while Sprint/Nextel equipped patrol cars in Florida had their MDCs suddenly die from lack of service.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X