State/Provincial Police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State/Provincial Police

Do all US states have a State Police force?

In Canada only Quebec & Ontario have them. Newfoundland has the Newfoundland Constabulary but I don't think they cover the whole province. The other Canadian provinces contract their provincial policing to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. A lot of cities in these provinces also contract their municipal policing to the RCMP. The SQ in Quebec & OPP in Ontario provide policing services to some cities in their provinces too.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

I believe so.
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
      Do all US states have a State Police force?

In Canada only Quebec & Ontario have them. Newfoundland has the Newfoundland Constabulary but I don't think they cover the whole province. The other Canadian provinces contract their provincial policing to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. A lot of cities in these provinces also contract their municipal policing to the RCMP. The SQ in Quebec & OPP in Ontario provide policing services to some cities in their provinces too.
      HotelSecurity:
      Some states have State Police like here in Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania. Others have State Highway Patrol such as California, Ohio and Georgia.
      Highway patrols enforce traffic laws on the state's highways and enforce law in local jurisdictions when either invited in or as directed by the governor of that state.
      State police have jurisdiction anywhere in the state.
      In many instances, it is a political decision to have patrols v. police.
      Enjoy the day,
      Bill

Comment

Every state has a highway patrol (26) or state police (23), expect Hawaii.
        DizZy SO

Comment

Originally posted by DizZy SO
          Every state has a highway patrol (26) or state police (23), expect Hawaii.
          What is Hawaii 5-0? I thought it was their state police.
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

California used to have a State Police & a Highway Patrol. Several years ago the State Police was absorbed by the CHP. The CHP used to be responsible for only traffic & auto theft. When they took over CSP they also became responsible for executive protection for the govenor & other dignitaries, as well as being the LE agency with jurisdiction on all state owned properties.
            "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
              What is Hawaii 5-0? I thought it was their state police.
              Looks like that is from the TV show, (68to80?) of the same name.
              I was reading that the DVD's will be out after Christmas.
              Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
              Groucho Marx

Comment

Hawaii does not have a "State Police," the Sheriff of Hawaii acts as the state-wide law enforcement officer, and his Office is the equivelant of a "State Police" force. It is administered by the Hawaii Department of Public Safety.

The television series "Hawaii 5-0" was a fictional representation of the Hawaii State Police, called 5-0 in reference to the state's status as the 50th state ratified into the nation.

So, basically, the Sheriff of Hawaii runs unincorporated Hawaii, while the metro police forces take care of their jurisdictions. Hawaii seems to be setup like one big county.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Nathan is right on with his explanation. Other interesting facts can be found by visiting the HPD website.
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X