2 Wisconsin Hunters Die In Cabin From Carbon Monoxide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Wisconsin Hunters Die In Cabin From Carbon Monoxide

NOTE:This story hits very, very close to home. The lone survivor is my uncle. One of the men who died, Ken Filter I knew for over 30 years. I was invite to go along on the hunt but I declined because I had to work. Fate works in mysterious ways.....

2 Wisconsin Hunters Die In Cabin From Carbon Monoxide

Friend hospitalized; 3 were in North Woods to open deer season

Posted: Nov. 17, 2006

Merrill, WI ~~ Two former Milwaukee men died and a third man currently from Milwaukee was hospitalized after they were overcome by carbon monoxide in a North Woods cabin where they were preparing for the start of the state's deer hunt, authorities said Friday.

Kenneth W. Filter of 70, of Shawano and Edward Duframe, 79, of Merrill were pronounced dead at the cabin in the Town of Harding, said Mike Caylor, spokesman for the Lincoln County Sheriff's Department.

Jerome Roush, 77, of Milwaukee was taken to Good Samaritan Health Center in Merrill before being taken by helicopter to Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center in Milwaukee, Caylor said.

Duframe's son, Steven Duframe, discovered the men in the cabin about 12:30 p.m. and called authorities, Caylor said.

The cabin was owned by Filter and Edward Duframe. The three friends were at the cabin preparing for today's start of the nine-day gun-deer hunting season, Caylor said.

The yearly hunt was a longtime tradition for the three men, he said.

The cabin was heated by a wood-burning stove but had a refrigerator and a lamp powered by liquid petroleum, Caylor said.

It is believed that during the previous night, the men were overcome by fumes from at least one of the appliances, Caylor said.

Roush was in good condition after being treated in a hyperbaric chamber at St. Luke's on Friday evening, hospital spokesman Steve Pinzer said.

Roush remained in the intensive care unit of the hospital and was expected to receive more treatment in the hyperbaric chamber today, after which he may be able to be released, Pinzer said.

The incident remained under investigation late Friday.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

From the Nov. 18, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

~~George Orwell.

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X