Hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Security
    Your best bet is to join a local club in your area. They can set up your RC transmitter so that you and an instructor are on the same channel. If you lose control, the instructor can over-ride your transmitter, regain control, and save you from a crash and the financial PAIN that goes with it.

Otherwise, you could opt for a simulator on your PC. Software is 250-300 bucks. I recommend the first idea.
    Mr. Security, have you seen the new RC model C-17 Loadmaster III? That is a sight to behold. It is not one for shallow pockets!
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
      Mr. Security, have you seen the new RC model C-17 Loadmaster III? That is a sight to behold. It is not one for shallow pockets!
      Enjoy the day,
      Bill
      No. The C-17 is a huge airplane so I imagine the RC version is a large-scale plane. In addition to not being one for shallow pockets as you correctly pointed out, it's also not one for amateur pilots. Anyone that wants to see a grown man cry can Goggle-search for RC plane crash video.
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

we once bought a really nice kit airplane for my dad because he was interested in it... it was hard to assemble but after a couple days of working on it he got it working. 10 minutes later is was dissasembled all over the road.
        It still gives me a sad sinking feeling every time i remember it, in fact, its really depressing thinking about it.

So now, a few years later, my dad has a real airplane licence and flys the full size thing instead.

Comment

Originally posted by knotquiteawake
          we once bought a really nice kit airplane for my dad because he was interested in it... it was hard to assemble but after a couple days of working on it he got it working. 10 minutes later is was dissasembled all over the road.
          It still gives me a sad sinking feeling every time i remember it, in fact, its really depressing thinking about it.

So now, a few years later, my dad has a real airplane licence and flys the full size thing instead.
          I know the feeling. Learning to fly an RC plane reminds me of when I was learning how to do landings in the real plane. At times, I thought I would never get the hang of it, especially crosswind landings. Then one day it all came together and I was cleared for solo.

With RC flying, some days I feel the thrill of victory when I manage to fly and land it in one piece w/ onlookers watching. At other times, I feel the AGONY of defeat and end up picking up the pieces of my plane w/ the spectators laughing at my crash.

Comment

Amusingly enough, there was this toy I saw once in K-Mart. I wanted to get it, but I didn't think it was worth 30 and it was already in the bargin bin. It disappeared, alas.

It was a little Apache with working main and anti-torque rotors. You had a collective and stick. The apache was attached to the base by wire, and it was in a dome to protect it. You could fly it around. I was like, "Oh, this is sill..." Then I realized the wire wasn't lifting it up, it was just providing power.

This realization came to me when I stalled it out by pulling back on the stick too far, and the thing fell out of the "air." It was cool, your own little tabletop Apache.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
              Amusingly enough, there was this toy I saw once in K-Mart. I wanted to get it, but I didn't think it was worth 30 and it was already in the bargin bin. It disappeared, alas.

It was a little Apache with working main and anti-torque rotors. You had a collective and stick. The apache was attached to the base by wire, and it was in a dome to protect it. You could fly it around. I was like, "Oh, this is sill..." Then I realized the wire wasn't lifting it up, it was just providing power.

This realization came to me when I stalled it out by pulling back on the stick too far, and the thing fell out of the "air." It was cool, your own little tabletop Apache.
              I wouldn't mind trying that. Flying RC helicopters is tough from what I've heard.

Comment

Wish List

Currently, I only fly battery-powered aircraft. This has some advantages, namely it's cheaper, quieter, smaller, easier to fly, and can be flown in more areas than gas-powered/nitro planes.

The downside is that the battery is only good for 5 minutes if you plan on using power to land (always a good idea when learning in case you need to go around and try the approach/landing again) and the power may be inadequate to fly your plane back for a landing if the wind is strong and you are downwind. Also, the takeoff consumes a lot of power from the battery.

All of that is eliminated when flying nitro-powered aircraft. Yesterday, I saw a P-51 Mustang that is 99% ready to fly right out of the box. It's big (5' wingspan), fast (50 mph??), AND cost $$$$$400.00

I have a year to practice flying and save up for it. Yes, I'm asking for an instructor's help before soloing this one. I can't afford to crash.

Comment

400 dollars and explosive fuel... I wouldn't solo the thing either without being rated on the thing.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Ouch!!

My RC plane's battery shorted out and it ended up stuck 50-75 feet high in a tree. Public Works and FD said too bad. Tree service wanted $250.00 for a plane that is $140.00 new. I attempted to climb the tree (I know - dumb idea) and a branch gave way plunging me ten feet straight down on my back/pelvis region. I've been hurting ever since.

Like I said: "OUCH! I want my Mommy."

Comment

Emt/medic

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                      My RC plane's battery shorted out and it ended up stuck 50-75 feet high in a tree. Public Works and FD said too bad. Tree service wanted $250.00 for a plane that is $140.00 new. I attempted to climb the tree (I know - dumb idea) and a branch gave way plunging me ten feet straight down on my back/pelvis region. I've been hurting ever since.

Like I said: "OUCH! I want my Mommy."
                      Can you tell me what kind of symptoms I would have with a hairline-fracture of the pelvis?

Comment

It would f-ing hurt. Go get a checkup with your GP.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                          It would f-ing hurt. Go get a checkup with your GP.
                          It hurts, but not as bad as that. My understanding is that the pelvis area has a rich supply of blood and that any minor issues will heal in time w/o medical care.

Comment

New Club

I found out today that two friends of mine are getting into the RC hobby. One just bought a Piper Super-Cub (we both flew our planes this afternoon) and my other buddy is buying his tomorrow. I think we just started a new RC club.

Comment

Oops

Decided to fly my plane this morning. Wind was calm and I finally had the energy. (working 64 hours this week)

The first flight was great and I was feeling confident.

The second was great....until I decided to do a low fly-by and forgot about the foul ball fence behind the softball diamond.

I pulled the plane up steeply and banked sharply in an effort to avoid the fence. The plane stalled and spun-in.

It took me 1-1/2 hours to repair the damage; but it's flyable again.

Comment

Up in the wild blue yonder.....

I've noticed that when I fly my RC plane, the hawks come over to check it out. "What kind of bird is this," they must be wondering. Hopefully they won't decide that it's "dinner" and attack.

It's fun though, to circle with them in the thermals. My friend (a more accomplished pilot) actually chases them with his plane. Of course, it's no problem for the hawks to out-maneuver anything that man tries to put into the air.

That's all for today, folks.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X