Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is why we have such strange legislation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is why we have such strange legislation...

I bring you... Senator Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) on the very real Net Neutrality Issue. Keep in mind, folks, these are the kind of legislators who are putting such strange language in security bills...

Originally posted by Senator Ted Stevens
    There's one company now you can sign up and you can get a movie delivered to your house daily by delivery service. Okay. And currently it comes to your house, it gets put in the mail box when you get home and you change your order but you pay for that, right.

But this service isn't going to go through the interent and what you do is you just go to a place on the internet and you order your movie and guess what you can order ten of them delivered to you and the delivery charge is free.

Ten of them streaming across that internet and what happens to your own personal internet?

I just the other day got, an internet was sent by my staff at 10 o'clock in the morning on Friday and I just got it yesterday. Why?

Because it got tangled up with all these things going on the internet commercially.

So you want to talk about the consumer? Let's talk about you and me. We use this internet to communicate and we aren't using it for commercial purposes.

We aren't earning anything by going on that internet. Now I'm not saying you have to or you want to discrimnate against those people [...]

The regulatory approach is wrong. Your approach is regulatory in the sense that it says "No one can charge anyone for massively invading this world of the internet". No, I'm not finished. I want people to understand my position, I'm not going to take a lot of time. [?]

They want to deliver vast amounts of information over the internet. And again, the internet is not something you just dump something on. It's not a truck.

It's a series of tubes.

And if you don't understand those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and its going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.

Now we have a separate Department of Defense internet now, did you know that?

Do you know why?

Because they have to have theirs delivered immediately. They can't afford getting delayed by other people.

[...]

Now I think these people are arguing whether they should be able to dump all that stuff on the internet ought to consider if they should develop a system themselves.

Maybe there is a place for a commercial net but it's not using what consumers use every day.

It's not using the messaging service that is essential to small businesses, to our operation of families.

The whole concept is that we should not go into this until someone shows that there is something that has been done that really is a viloation of net neutraility that hits you and me.
    For those wondering, you cannot send an internet through the internet.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

......... So wait....... His staff sent him an internet? Wish my staff would do something like that......... After all, I can always use more tubes...........

Another prime example of someone running their mouth about something they don't understand... lol
    Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
    Originally posted by ValleyOne
    BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
    Shoulda called in sick.
    Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Senator Ted Stevens
      Back in my day, candy bars cost a nickel!
      "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Maybe he wants to really get his email through his outmail?
        "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
          I bring you... Senator Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) on the very real Net Neutrality Issue. Keep in mind, folks, these are the kind of legislators who are putting such strange language in security bills...

For those wondering, you cannot send an internet through the internet.
          That explains the square badge requirement. Doesn't matter that the Toll Booth Change Collectors wear NYC style police badges, but don't even think about a contract security officer pulling a 'dangerous' stunt like wearing a nice looking badge. After all, they might start to think they’re cops, blah blah blah......
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I wonder if the good Senator has figured out that his desk isn't inside the House of Representatives yet?
            "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by aka Bull
              I wonder if the good Senator has figured out that his desk isn't inside the House of Representatives yet?
              The Good Senator was on The Daily Show (Via CSPAN footage) going insane about a military appropriations bill for Alaska which included drilling in the Alaskan Oil Reserves. As in, slipped in.

The Democrats were not frightened of his extreme seniority in the Senate, as they deployed their ace in the hole. Eight Time Senator Byrd.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Senator Steven Net Speech

For those interested, this is the audio of the above mentioned issue.
                "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

I... I can't listen to it.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                    I... I can't listen to it.
                    N.A., I know what you mean. I lasted until the part when the committee chairman interrupted him. Now I have a headache!
                    Let me make sure I understand his main point: The internet is for consumers (like in people that want to buy something) NOT for commercial entities (like in people that want to sell something).
                    Richard Dickinson
                    Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
                    DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
                    www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

Originally posted by hrdickinson
                      Let me make sure I understand his main point: The internet is for consumers (like in people that want to buy something) NOT for commercial entities (like in people that want to sell something).
                      If that's the case, Ebay would make a killing, as all the commercial entities would simply start selling there as 'individuals'... Makes ya wonder who he buys stock in, eh?
                      Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                      Originally posted by ValleyOne
                      BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                      Shoulda called in sick.
                      Be safe!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X