Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it wrong to value your life more than your job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it wrong to value your life more than your job?

My parents always taught me there was nothing in life more valuable than your job. Well, I was working for a company as in-house security then the company discontinued their security department and decided to outsource their security. I got stupid and let them transfer me to the new security company. Unarmed they only pay $10/hr. and it's part-time working 'as needed'. If that isn't bad enough, they sent me on a 50 mile commute in my personal vehicle to cover a post because somebody is out for surgery. I could choose to go armed and my pay would go up to $15/hr and full-time with benefits.

Around here, not much happens, I can't think of a single instance where an armed security guard was attacked or had to use their weapon in the line of duty. The thing is, you might go to the range with a Glock 22, you get 50 practice rounds then 30 rounds for qualification. If you fail to qualify with the 30 issued rounds, you'll have to pay for your own range time and ammo, but once you get your carry permit, you can carry whatever you want, they don't care if you've never shot it before. What you are issued by the security company might be a .38 revolver with no spare ammo. They said there's no point in issuing speed loader or spare mags because we aren't trained to reload, we meet the client's requirement for armed security and that's all they are concerned with.

On the other hand, I would be allowed to buy my own gun, I would be able to take my own gun to the range, practice with it, buy the holster I'm most comfortable with, etc. My supervisor told me if I choose to buy my own gun, then I obviously value my life more than my job, is that bad?

Well, there's a couple of issues to break down here. One of things I always did when I worked contract was check the crime stats for the area around your site - what's the area like? Talk to the other guards that have worked there for awhile - how many incidents have they had in the last 6 months? The last year?

If your unarmed guards are making $10.00 an hour, then armed at $15.00 is OK (armed should always be at least 1.5x the unarmed rate). Take whatever training they pay for, but I'd budget for additional classes and practice. If you go with their revolver, buy your own speed loaders. (One or two should be sufficient.) You have to practice too - I never was good with the speed loaders for my .38 revolver.

If you go armed and can choose your weapon, pick what's practical for you and appropriate to the site. This involves a little research, and trying out different guns at the range. Take anything you read in gun magazines with a grain of salt - those writers are often paid to write nice things about this model or that. (One range where I'm at let's you try three different guns after you take their basic safety / shooting course.)

If you are a guard in Los Angeles or on a remote site, you're going to carry a higher caliber / higher capacity pistol than say the S/O on a low risk site with rapid police response in the area.

Comment

Oh, and your supervisor is an idiot. You only get one life - you'll have plenty of jobs over your lifetime.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
      Working...
      X