Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is CPP certification worth it?

Hi guys,

Been in security 9 years, military police for 2 years. Looking to get into management. I don't like school at all and know many security directors with no degree. I'm looking for a way into management. Is CPP certification worth the money and time? What do you guys think?

Thank you,

It is worth it if you see it as an investment, and are going for a high end corporate position (many require a CPP). But, as you noted, you can be a director without one. Your MP experience will be an asset; get as much supervisory experience as you can (field supervisor, operations, etc.). See what the positions you want require, and you may find that other education may be more valuable.

Remember, the director has to interact with non-security people - the CEO, the CFO, vendors, etc. A knowledge of business management, accounting and IT are all helpful or required depending upon the position.

Comment

Thank you for your input; it was helpful. Just looking for ways to expedite my progression. I'll keep reading about it.

Comment

The problem is "security director" is one of those job titles that doesn't carry a specific set of requirements; sometimes its just title inflation. The research I've done shows that different companies have a different idea of what a security director does. Some separate out the physical security and the IT security, others want a director to be in charge of both. Some companies just want someone who has been a director before, others want an alphabet behind your name.

If it helps, I ended up not going for a CPP, because I realized (at that time) that I did not have enough experience to have it really make a difference in my job search. Believe it or not, my community college degree is what actually got me a good paying supervisor job later on. You might reach out to SecTrainer and tell him your circumstances; he could probably steer you in the right direction.

Comment

what it cost and what State you in?

but IMO its probably a "can't afford not to" if its under $4000.

I've only got a couple extras besides gun, baton, cuffs and spray. I've got a TWIC card $120 and took the 1 week POST 832 $160 , but I know for fact just those two bush league extras got me to top of stack a few times and repaid at least 10-fold even if I "billed" for the 40 hours of POST 832.

EMT don't seem to get paid squat (literally less than I'll make sitting in my van watching movies on laptop in parking lot) but I imagine it would be great for any high-class security job. Only thing is I'm wondering if you are allowed to go EMT on anyone outside working for some big licensed outfit. Construction employer's son was full paramedic in his real job, and he said he didn't have Good Sam legal protection BECAUSE he was a lic. Paramedic. That was maybe 1995.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
            The problem is "security director" is one of those job titles that doesn't carry a specific set of requirements; sometimes its just title inflation. The research I've done shows that different companies have a different idea of what a security director does. Some separate out the physical security and the IT security, others want a director to be in charge of both. Some companies just want someone who has been a director before, others want an alphabet behind your name.

If it helps, I ended up not going for a CPP, because I realized (at that time) that I did not have enough experience to have it really make a difference in my job search. Believe it or not, my community college degree is what actually got me a good paying supervisor job later on. You might reach out to SecTrainer and tell him your circumstances; he could probably steer you in the right direction.
            I really hate school lol but if I see no quick progress I'll have to reconsider. Most the managers I've had have had no degree or an associates in something like child development. I'm hoping to land a leadership role where I can have a mentor to help give me that boost in experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Squid View Post
              what it cost and what State you in?

but IMO its probably a "can't afford not to" if its under $4000.

I've only got a couple extras besides gun, baton, cuffs and spray. I've got a TWIC card $120 and took the 1 week POST 832 $160 , but I know for fact just those two bush league extras got me to top of stack a few times and repaid at least 10-fold even if I "billed" for the 40 hours of POST 832.

EMT don't seem to get paid squat (literally less than I'll make sitting in my van watching movies on laptop in parking lot) but I imagine it would be great for any high-class security job. Only thing is I'm wondering if you are allowed to go EMT on anyone outside working for some big licensed outfit. Construction employer's son was full paramedic in his real job, and he said he didn't have Good Sam legal protection BECAUSE he was a lic. Paramedic. That was maybe 1995.
              Over all I read its like $900. I'm from California but its the same in every state as far as cost.
              I have a lot of certifications that I earned in the military and in the civilian sector, but so far I've only landed a post commander position which was a dead end. I couldn't move up after 5 years in that position.

Btw, do you call yourself squid because you were a sailor?

Comment

MRA,

It would behoove you to not put any faith into squids postings. He is what’s known as a “slacker” at work and a fabricator of his “skills and experience “.

He has has no standards and readily admits to sleeping on Post, ignoring company rules and policy, and is NOT an example you want to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
                  MRA,

It would behoove you to not put any faith into squids postings. He is what’s known as a “slacker” at work and a fabricator of his “skills and experience “.

He has has no standards and readily admits to sleeping on Post, ignoring company rules and policy, and is NOT an example you want to follow.
                  oh man, not sure what to say but let's just say I'm always careful when receiving advise from anyone. I'm just here to share ideas and learn something.

Comment

CPP is a great certification, I am a CPP and it has opened many doors for me. Many of the folks who hire security managers no nothing of the industry, but HR directors seem to be very aware of the CPP and convince hiring managers to look for the certification. I have seen many job application which list CPP and bachelors degrees as minimum requirements for consideration. That being said, I have seen PSP show up a lot recently and is much more easy of a test than CPP. I would look into the PSP certification.
                    http://firearmsnerd.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalGuard View Post
                      CPP is a great certification, I am a CPP and it has opened many doors for me. Many of the folks who hire security managers no nothing of the industry, but HR directors seem to be very aware of the CPP and convince hiring managers to look for the certification. I have seen many job application which list CPP and bachelors degrees as minimum requirements for consideration. That being said, I have seen PSP show up a lot recently and is much more easy of a test than CPP. I would look into the PSP certification.
                      PSP seems to be more oriented to people at the "guard" level or non-management position. It could be a good way to move into management.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X