What is dual license?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is dual license?

This one is for experts in the security industry.

Is it okay to hire a security guard for investigative services? He claims to have 4+ years of experience working in different companies (logistics industry), which transport million dollars worth of inventory. When I asked him how detectives and security are correlated, he said he has completed an online private investigator course and is dual licensed to serve as a private investigator too. I'm just wondering if that's how it works. At first glance, it seemed to be like the equivalent of a Master's degree to me.

The Canadians need to weigh in on this, since your laws are different. Its not really a "dual license;" he's licensed as a security guard and (possibly) as a private investigator. (50 hours of internet course work seems really bare bones to me.)

I'd find out if he is actually licensed as a private investigator in your province, and how much real experience he has. Depending on the type of investigation, you really need to train with an experienced investigator to be fully competent.

Comment

Did someone call for a Canadian? I'm located in Ontario, Canada.

In our province, anyone who wants to engage in activities that would be considered "private investigator" duties (what some would call "private detectives", though that term's illegal) need to be licensed. The process is similar to what security guards must go through in Ontario, including taking a course that meets ministry criteria and writing a test. It's the same ministry that handles security guards; having a "dual" licence means that you have completed both the process of becoming a licensed security guard and the process of becomign a licensed private investigator; they are combined into one license for convenience.

Comment

Thanks for the expert opinions, guys.

Guess, I'll have to go through his profile a couple of times and do some research. I'll run a background check with his previous employers. Never met a private detective in my life; always thought they were super secret agents who live by code names.

Comment

Originally posted by alex_mercer View Post
          Thanks for the expert opinions, guys.

Guess, I'll have to go through his profile a couple of times and do some research. I'll run a background check with his previous employers. Never met a private detective in my life; always thought they were super secret agents who live by code names.
          I reality it's not much "super secret agent work" and more "get paid by the insurance company to sit outside some guy's house and get pictures of him hauling out the trash"-type work.

Comment

Originally posted by Consolewatcher View Post

I reality it's not much "super secret agent work" and more "get paid by the insurance company to sit outside some guy's house and get pictures of him hauling out the trash"-type work.
            some of my Construction buddies went to great lengths to prank PI. Guy had totally legit major injury, but didn't like being spied on. So he gets smuggled out of his own house in a box, loaded into buddy's pickup, etc. THEN, has another guy nearly same size/height/frame, etc smuggle INTO the house, and come out wearing #1's trade mark 49ers hat, beard, wig, Dickies, etc and start doing all sorts of heavy duty lifts. Meanwhile, #1 is attending very public and documented event in another town.

Never heard how it all panned out.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X