No announcement yet.

am i working a dangerous post??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing to keep in mind is that you may be liable for your actions...or inactions in a given circumstance.

Comment

No way, no how. Had a guy come work at the post office who came from a similar post. Low pay, dangerous area. I had worked for that company, so I know how much they don't care

Comment

Originally posted by rekaepa View Post
        Greetings! New to the site. I've been doing security for 11 months and recently changed employer. it's a patrol job, unarmed, solo, no gear, in the city of pomona for all of the "quikemarts".
        i don't know if maybe im in the minority here but i feel like this is too dangerous. pays 14 an hour. hostile homeless people and gangbangers and all i got is a pen and note pad and phone
        would you walk from this?
        I need answers.
        thanks in advance.
        I hope this is in the right section
        As far as I'm concerned, ANY job with no use of force tools is observe and report only, no matter what job description says. If they want you to do actual enforcement, then a vest + UoF option are a MUST. People will fight/stab/shoot you over absolutely nothing these days. And as always, look for something better in the meantime.
        Last edited by Sentinel27; 12-23-2017, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sentinel27 View Post

As far as I'm concerned, ANY job with no use of force tools is observe and report only, no matter what job description says. If they want you to do actual enforcement, then a vest + UoF option are a MUST. People will fight/stab/shoot you over absolutely nothing these days. And as always, look for something better in the meantime.
          I agree. Part of the problem is that in some places guards aren't provided certain equipment because "they're not the police", yet the guards are expected to do things that are usually handled by the police, and not by "civilians". Companies need to stop trying to straddle the line; either adapt a "hands-off, no confrontation" policy or properly equip their guards.

Also, I think that if you are not armed with a firearm that you should always give a person an option to "avoid" being arrested/detained For example, "leave or I'll arrest you..", "stop committing that illegal act or I'll arrest you.." "give me back that property and don't ever come back or I'll arrest you..". That way the person who is wanted by the police, already has two "strikes", etc. will feel it's a better idea to leave instead of doing something crazy or stupid to avoid arrest and have the police take them into custody.

Comment

Originally posted by Consolewatcher View Post

I agree. Part of the problem is that in some places guards aren't provided certain equipment because "they're not the police", yet the guards are expected to do things that are usually handled by the police, and not by "civilians". Companies need to stop trying to straddle the line; either adapt a "hands-off, no confrontation" policy or properly equip their guards.

Also, I think that if you are not armed with a firearm that you should always give a person an option to "avoid" being arrested/detained For example, "leave or I'll arrest you..", "stop committing that illegal act or I'll arrest you.." "give me back that property and don't ever come back or I'll arrest you..". That way the person who is wanted by the police, already has two "strikes", etc. will feel it's a better idea to leave instead of doing something crazy or stupid to avoid arrest and have the police take them into custody.
            Agree 100%. I don't understand companies/sites that are "hands-off" yet they still want you to confront trespassers and the like. They don't seem to understand that even if you have no intention of arresting someone or putting your hands on them, they might still try to put hands on YOU. That's where DEFENSIVE tools come into play. I actually don't think that security should be arresting people or carrying all the same tools as the police, but you have to be able to protect yourself. Hell, you can be the target of violence even while just "observing and reporting". Another thing that irks me is when sites don't issue tools because they want "friendly" looking security staff. Might as well issue them with smiley face t-shirts and baskets of lollipops then.
            Last edited by Sentinel27; 12-23-2017, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sentinel27 View Post

Agree 100%. I don't understand companies/sites that are "hands-off" yet they still want you to confront trespassers and the like. They don't seem to understand that even if you have no intention of arresting someone or putting your hands on them, they might still try to put hands on YOU. That's where DEFENSIVE tools come into play. I actually don't think that security should be arresting people or carrying all the same tools as the police, but you have to be able to protect yourself. Hell, you can be the target of violence even while just "observing and reporting". Another thing that irks me is when sites don't issue tools because they want "friendly" looking security staff. Might as well issue them with smiley face t-shirts and baskets of lollipops then.
              Yup, even pure "observe and report" can put a guard at risk of physical harm. Many of the security assaults I've seen were either because the guard accidentally came across someone committing a crime. Clients don't understand that even if the guard intends to simply walk/run away from the scene and call the police, there is a decent change the suspect might assault him to delay (or prevent) him doing that. Also, some of the environments put the guard at the same risk of anyone else working alone in the same environment. For example, working alone at 2am in the bad part of town is a dangerous situation, regardless of whether you're a security guard or pizza delivery person. For that reason, I think that any employee (security of otherwise) working in a dangerous environment should be able to carry defensive tools.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X