X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    You be quiet over there and take your fundamentals of corporate management training!
    That has a familiar ring to it! Mindless prattle.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by aka Bull
    Understood. Couldn't agree more. The only thing I have against training is that training which is designed to not train. I'm sure you've likely experienced that kind, as I have.
    You be quiet over there and take your fundamentals of corporate management training!

Leave a comment:

• aka Bull
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill Warnock
    We are a group of tight knit folks who have a passion for training, training and more training.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill
    Understood. Couldn't agree more. The only thing I have against training is that training which is designed to not train. I'm sure you've likely experienced that kind, as I have.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Gentlemen - ???
    We are a group of tight knit folks who have a passion for training, training and more training.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• aka Bull
    replied
    Mr. Security, I think we might just have another club member. What say you?
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill
    Gentlemen - ???

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    That young man is exactly my, point, practice, practice and more practice. You must stay on top of your game. Play what if... all the time. In this manner, you will keep surprises to a minimum.
    Splendid reaction on your part!
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill
    Agreed.

Leave a comment:

• aka Bull
    replied
    That young man is exactly my, point, practice, practice and more practice. You must stay on top of your game. Play what if... all the time. In this manner, you will keep surprises to a minimum.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill
    Thanks Bill. She's lucky that was all that happened to her. She actually complained to another officer that I was "brutal" in my response to her. He simply told her one thing, "ma'am, your still breathing, count yourself lucky."

This incident has once again underscored why I, as a defensive tactics instructor in our department, continually stress practice - mental and physical - of our skills. Time is not always on our side.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Like Bill said, if you have time on your side, use it to your advantage. If you don't, immediate action is your savior.

Last night as I entered the emergency room through the ambulance bay a patient rounded the corner immediately in front of me - no advantage for me as she was already within a foot of me. I told her to stop and her reaction was to lunge forward and reach in with both hands to try to strip my holstered Taser from me. I could only react. Continual practice in weapons retention tactics lead to her being quickly dumped into a large rolling linen cart and placed into a control holds by myself and one of our social workers (who just happens to be a retired state corrections officer). I had no warning of her approach and no officer for backup.

By statements she made afterwards she believed she was grabbing for a firearm. She made the statement that she "wasn't going to hurt anyone else" with it. I find out afterwards she was on suicide watch.

In those times of no advantage - action, action, action (even if that action may be a necessary retreat to provide some safety for the officer).
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• aka Bull
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    Too bad you didn't know that before she grabbed for your taser. She would have been in for a 'shock' when she tried to 'shoot herself.'
    Very true. But then I could see the reaction of Amnesty International -

"Tasers are so dangerous now people know they can commit suicide by using them on themselves"

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    .... I told her to stop and her reaction was to lunge forward and reach in with both hands to try to strip my holstered Taser from me.

By statements she made afterwards she believed she was grabbing for a firearm. She made the statement that she "wasn't going to hurt anyone else" with it. I find out afterwards she was on suicide watch.......
    Too bad you didn't know that before she grabbed for your taser. She would have been in for a 'shock' when she tried to 'shoot herself.'

Leave a comment:

• aka Bull
    replied
    Like Bill said, if you have time on your side, use it to your advantage. If you don't, immediate action is your savior.

Last night as I entered the emergency room through the ambulance bay a patient rounded the corner immediately in front of me - no advantage for me as she was already within a foot of me. I told her to stop and her reaction was to lunge forward and reach in with both hands to try to strip my holstered Taser from me. I could only react. Continual practice in weapons retention tactics lead to her being quickly dumped into a large rolling linen cart and placed into a control holds by myself and one of our social workers (who just happens to be a retired state corrections officer). I had no warning of her approach and no officer for backup.

By statements she made afterwards she believed she was grabbing for a firearm. She made the statement that she "wasn't going to hurt anyone else" with it. I find out afterwards she was on suicide watch.

In those times of no advantage - action, action, action (even if that action may be a necessary retreat to provide some safety for the officer).

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Thanks Bill. Coming from a veteran like yourself, I consider that a real compliment.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    If you must make an arrest, say: "Just hang tight while I fill out some paperwork and then we can wrap this matter up." This implies to the subject that you are not going to detain and arrest them. Meanwhile, back up is on the way. Once back up arrives, you can explain that the only way this matter can be resolved is by making an arrest. Now you will have the manpower that you need to make the arrest and minimize the danger of being overpowered.
    Excellent! Mr. Security you are to be commended.
    If, I repeat, if you have time on your side, use it to your advantage.
    Screw it up, you might not go home that night or if you go home, not all in once piece. Always remember the Second Deadly Sin or violation of the Second of the Ten Commandments of Security and Law Enforcement, "Tomesone Courage."
    If you make a really bad decision, your only course of action may be to put your head between your legs and kiss your butt goodbye.
    It's an old saw, but a true one, "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."
    Again, to your credit, well said.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Don't show your cards.

If you must make an arrest, say: "Just hang tight while I fill out some paperwork and then we can wrap this matter up." This implies to the subject that you are not going to detain and arrest them. Meanwhile, back up is on the way. Once back up arrives, you can explain that the only way this matter can be resolved is by making an arrest. Now you will have the manpower that you need to make the arrest and minimize the danger of being overpowered.

Leave a comment:

• Defensive tactics
    replied
    room clearing

alternatly when I am clearing a room I will use my big maglight to light up the room and my small one in my palm for "emergencies", I always notify dispatch when I a clearing a room and notify them when I am clear, What are some of the biggest indicators (in your experience) showing that someone wants to fight, for me it is..

1. pale skin
    2. 1000 yard glare
    3. target aquisition
    4. clenching the fist
    5. moving closer
    6. hands in the pockets
    7. ignoring the officer
    8. looking around for my back up or his
    9. dropping one shoulder or leg back

* I also try and watch for collapsed nose/makiwara marks on the knuckles/cuts above the eyes/bulges in the pockets/martial arts attire.

please add to the list some more tactics
    lets see how long we can get this thread to go on

stay safe
    Ben

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X