X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T202
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    If the robbers saw your uniform while you were getting gas, they probably would have waited for you to leave. If you walked in on the robbery, it might have gotten ugly. If I interrupted a robbery, I would immediately show my hands, tell them I am unarmed, and cooperate. Dead heroes can't help anyone.
    I agree, if you walk in on them, cooperate and be a good witness later. Would you try and follow them when they left? I don't mean high speed pursuit, but at a distance calling 911 with the location and direction of travel.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    There are times when the word, included in a quotation, conveys the sense of urgency and purpose in a verbal command. Most of our field guys who have issued verbal commands will know exactly what the situation was when someone is giving verbal commands the Samuel L. Jackson way.

Part of tactical communication is knowing both when to be nice, and when to be abusive and verbally intimidate the suspect. When the suspect is trying to kill a fellow officer, the tactical communication method should convey speed, shock, and maximum violence of action upon immediate failure to comply.
    I'm not faulting you for the way you handled the situation. I understand what you mean. Nevertheless, your experience can be posted w/o using a format that leaves little to the imagination. Even if it is simply -------, we get the idea.

When new members see the way senior members post, they will copy our example, good or bad. So far, we have been able to keep this site as an example of what professionalism means. When you compare this site with O.com, it's clear to see that this site is to be preferred. If you can support me on this, we can keep it going.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    There are times when the word, included in a quotation, conveys the sense of urgency and purpose in a verbal command. Most of our field guys who have issued verbal commands will know exactly what the situation was when someone is giving verbal commands the Samuel L. Jackson way.

Part of tactical communication is knowing both when to be nice, and when to be abusive and verbally intimidate the suspect. When the suspect is trying to kill a fellow officer, the tactical communication method should convey speed, shock, and maximum violence of action upon immediate failure to comply.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security

• Mr. Security
    replied
    I'm gonna say it ONE MORE TIME. Using the "F" word with ---- IS NOT what the Forum Administrator meant when he asked us to keep it clean. Set the right example for the new members on this forum.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    If the robbers saw your uniform while you were getting gas, they probably would have waited for you to leave. If you walked in on the robbery, it might have gotten ugly. If I interrupted a robbery, I would immediately show my hands, tell them I am unarmed, and cooperate. Dead heroes can't help anyone.
    If you walk in on a robbery, you're going to have an issue really fast. Most people don't see anything but the uniform and badge.

There were steps that I was taught to parking and entering a structure in uniform to minimize the amount of problems you'd have inside it from this sort of thing. I use them to this day.

1. Park away from the doors. This creates a distance gap between the doors and you, allowing you time to survey the scene, and if necessary, react to a situation.

2. Size up the situation in the store before you get out. Look inside the windows. Is there a problem in the store? Are all the shutters closed? How many people are in it? What are they doing? This prevents you from walking in blind.

3. Remember you are a uniformed officer, a symbol of lawful authority before you get out. Do not lower your guard or "color condition" because you are off shift. You are, until your uniform comes off, on duty as far as the public is concerned. You a threat to the criminal and a source of protection to the public. "Any port in a storm" and all that. Keep this in mind when you go in.

My company had a rule that extended "performance of duties" to convinence stores during or directly after our shift. If we were in a company vehicle, we were to remain armed at all times. Florida's 493 stated you had to disarm if "not in performance of duties" or not on "the client's site." Well, your performance of duties was driving that vehicle.

Also, if your wearing an empty holster and walk into a robbery, all the bad guy is going to take note of is gun, badge, shoot!

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    The company vehicle I was riding shotgun in stopped at a Shell station. As we went through the car wash, the store was robbed at knife point. Shell station person ran out into traffic, waved down a deputy as we exited. I was like, "That's odd." Tire squealing, car shoots past us. We decided to see where the bad guy's car was going as the deputy exited and started following it, too.

Six hours later, I had finally finished all the reports. During the initial traffic stop at a red light, the bad guy struck the deputy with his car, just as we pulled up behind the deputy. He was OK, jumped in, and the pursuit was on.

Followed em, found the suspect's car in a ditch on a steep curb in Tampa proper, the deputy's car parked, and no sign of deputy or suspect. The employee I was with wasn't sure what to do, and I kinda... took over. He covered me as I checked the deputy's car to make sure it didn't have a deputy down in it, or a suspect in it, then we circled the tractor trailer lot and made contact with a fighting deputy and suspect. The sudden appearance of a black uniform shouting such commands as "show me your motherf--king hands," and "roll the f--- over or I'm going to motherf--king shoot you" at high volume distracted the bad guy enough that the deputy who was underneath him was able to reveral and mount the bad guy. Bad guy was over the deputy with a closed ASP in his hand, couldn't tell what it looked like at 30 feet. So, I was advancing and yelling verbal commands while engaged with firearm.

The guy was charged with everything we could think of. Originally, just strong arm robbery. Oh, but wait, found a crack pipe during search. Possession of drug paraphanalia. Don't you remember the guy hit you with his car? Oh, yeah. Aggarvated Battery on a Law Enforcement Officer. Obviously, he fought, so Resisting Arrest with Violence.

Worst part was it took us 10 minutes to figure out where we were. And the deputy hadn't put his location out for 15. When we finally figured out a cross street, the other deputy (There were more coming) that arrived was like, "Yeah, we had no clue where you guys were." The deputy bailed without radioing his position.

The aftermath was fun, at least. Got hit on by a cute traffic deputy, got to play in a crime scene and not get yelled at for it, watched a Tampa Police vs. Hillsborough County Sheriff turf war over the car, and met several HCSO sergeants and the shift Lieutenant. Nobody said anything like, "You shouldn't of stopped," just "We're glad you guys stopped and helped our deputy."

I ran out of business cards that morning, everyone was like, "Ok, so Dep. Garcia said to talk to you, since you know what happened start to finish." Exchange of business cards so that we know who we're putting in our reports, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security

• Mr. Security
    replied

Leave a comment:

• T202
    started a topic What would you do?

What would you do?

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X