Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stratford?

Heya guys. Long time no post

I have a friend of mine, for some ungodly reason, who is interested in becoming a PI. Now, I have nothing against PI's at all, but she is the last person who you would think would be one. I guess that's an advantage.

She's looking into some school in New York, a place called Stratford Career Institute. I've always felt kinda hinky about these types of places. Anyone know anything about this place?

Get your career diploma in:

Home Inspector
    Chicken Wrestler
    Stand Up Comic
    Private Investigator
    Day Care

Yeah. They're going to teach her the basics of a course that may or may not apply to the Illinois PI test. Usually its just an abbreviated "career course," that has no accrediation.

If she wants to be a PI, she needs to check with the state she lives in for the required licensing and training requirements. Wisconsin, for example, requires no coursework, but has a proctored test based off IFPO material.

The __________ Association of Licensed Investigators will also be of help, if she wants to contact them, as they'll tell her about the industry in her state, and she'll make networking contacts.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I believe IL requires a certain class to be a PI. I believe it is 40 hours (could be more). They also require a 20 class to be a security guard. There are a few places that offer the class, I can't recall them off the top of my head, but I'll google it and see if I can find them and throw them up here. While the PI business is pretty good, it can be very competative and requires a lot of work. A friend of mine is a PI in Northern WI and he's gone for a few weeks at a time on a job. He makes good money and works for himself, but doesn't get to see his kid all that much. But wait, I make crappy money, work for a crappy employer, and I don't get to see my kid all that much.....

Comment

Stratford Career Institute is in an old industrial bldg and was quite famous about ten years ago for bilking thousands of displaced defense workers for useless degrees and certificates. I really wouldn't suggest she waste her money there.
        Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier

Home Inspector
          Chicken Wrestler
          Stand Up Comic
          Private Investigator
          Day Care

Yeah. They're going to teach her the basics of a course that may or may not apply to the Illinois PI test. Usually its just an abbreviated "career course," that has no accrediation.

If she wants to be a PI, she needs to check with the state she lives in for the required licensing and training requirements. Wisconsin, for example, requires no coursework, but has a proctored test based off IFPO material.

The __________ Association of Licensed Investigators will also be of help, if she wants to contact them, as they'll tell her about the industry in her state, and she'll make networking contacts.

The chicken wrestler made me spill my coffee-
          Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

Home Inspector
            Chicken Wrestler
            Stand Up Comic
            Private Investigator
            Day Care
            HAHAHA nice

So, it's a shady place. Ok, that pretty much backs up my gut feeling. Thanks guys!

Comment

Home Inspector
              Chicken Wrestler
              Stand Up Comic
              Private Investigator
              Day Care

You forgot to list their associate's degree programs in:

Outhouse Building
              Underwater BB stacking

Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X