training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• training

What do you guys do to train on the side when your not working wether it be martial arts/dt/fitness/etc, lets hear some routines and ideas for how you stay in good shape for when you are doing security or Loss prevention, I will get us started

I will do-cardio, full body weight work outs, body weight exercises, stability ball, defensive tactics, heavy bag, running, varius tools (bo, tonfa, kali stick, nunchuku, kobaton) I will also read up and stay current on the most recent research on survival stress, and hand to hand techniques.

note-all this might seem a bit much, but I will be going to school for 2 years for security management shortly, plus my lpo stuff where I make arrests, I feel it is crucial that I am in phenomenal shape, and have the best knowledge.

please add your own workouts and training methods
    Ben Wallace

You seem obsessed with martial arts skills instead of the reality of needing people skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Canuck
      You seem obsessed with martial arts skills instead of the reality of needing people skills.
      I've read his posts on a police self defense site. His work enviornment is high risk, as his class of offenders usually likes to fight back.

People skills won't get you very far when you are required to physically arrest combative suspects as part of your daily job. They're important, but when the confrontation turns physical - letting the suspect "get away" is usually a quick ticket to the unemployment line. Or the hospital.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

N. A. Corbier thank you

Canuck
        -if it is any consolation I also study psychology, conflict resolution, verbal judo, mediation, and all that other stuff, but I will quote my lpo manual "one of the worst thing that can happen to a crack head is to be in a confined cell"

thank you and stay safe
        again thank you N.A. Corbier
        Ben

Comment

To answer the original post, I tend to circut type training twice a week and lift wieghts three times a week. I was a wrestler for 7 years and I found a pretty good website www.grapplersgym.com that sends out a newsletter free with workouts every month. I did three months of boxing lessons, but my reach and my height are just a little too short to do it competitivley, but at least I can throw a punch now. I also tend to throw heavy bag workouts in on my circut training days when I get bored with my normal routine.

Comment

I do strength training (weight lifting) and cardio (jogging or swimming) five days a week. One day a week I do defensive tactics (ACT or baton) or ground fighting. One day a week, usually Sunday, I take off to rest.

Sometimes I will substitute a day of cardio with a day of defensive tactics since I HATE cardio, especially running. Swimming I can live with but it is not always possible to get to the pool. It takes a lot of discipline for me to get out and jog, but I always do it.

Comment

I'm looking at a cheap treadmill for cardio. I absolutely hate to jog. I also absolutely hate to jog during the spring and summer with these ****ing yellowjackets out.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Exercise

I know we need to do it, but it's not one of my favorites on my "To Do" list.

I keep some dumbbells and hand-squeezers (?) near the TV. When I watch TV, I also use the time to work out. I include push-ups to. That usually gets my heart rate up nicely. I'll never be as fit as some athletic types, but I do what I can.
                Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I'm pretty strapped for time when it comes to exercise. Usually I do some circuit training with an ab roller and various calesthenics and lift weights once per week. It usually doesn't take any more than 20 minutes to complete.
                  If I had more time I would be including the jump rope and more weight lifting.
                  "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Training?

try to get some of your colleagues together for a training session or maybe you could get your company to organise a training day for you and your colleagues. The hospital i work for provides aggession minimisation training. We are expected to train against violent attacks ourselves. Remember the simple guidelines, don't get too close if you can help it, stand side on to prevent a kick to the groin, watch for body, hand movements. And most important don't confine yourself.
                    We haven't had trouble for a while, Let's cancel security!

Comment

I do my patrols backwards. Instead of starting on the 20th floor & walking down, I start on the 4th sub basement & walk up.
                      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X