Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESI AGENT
    replied
    I am currently attending an EMT course. I use to be certified but let it expire big mistake. It's not an easy course and once and a great while you meet someone in management who has enough common sense to have security crossed trainined as medics. After all we are already on site and are the first responders which make big sense to me. The nice thing about getting a EMT cert is it puts you at much higher levil of professionalism because most in this field could never pass the course. The medical field is one of the few fields which the greedy corporate bastards cannot outsouce or insorce cheep labor to do. Another aspect which most forget is we are at war and with out wide open boarder it just a matter of time before we have another 911. God knows all the private soft targets being protected by untrained/uneducated warm bodies. Again mis-management at it's best.

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
    Quebec law requires all companies to have 1 First Aider on duty per 50 employees. The 16 hour training is provided free. Any other jurisdictions require First Aiders. (OSHA maybe?)
    We have to pay for the 2 day training and as posted it is part of S/O licencing now (has been for 10 years). Working as a store LPM with 1 firm I would say we had 10 first aid calls a week minimum and coming into work earlier I would be the one doing them when staff had workplace injuries.

Leave a comment:

• craig333
    replied
    Originally posted by dannyr619 View Post
    I recently received my EMT-B. The main reason I went for it was simply to add to my resume and impress prospective employers. Also the contract security firm I work for, pays guards more money if they have an EMT cert. (and I think they charge the client more too.)

But what I didn't know was that most of the skills I learned can only be preformed under Medical Direction from an MD. Likewise if you don't have the nessasary equipment and supplies, you can't preform many of your skills.

As far as re-certs... I think I might work for an ambulance company part time to gain experience and meet the required continuing education.

But I have to recomend the trainning overall, it was a great experience
    That means the medical director of whatever agency has jurisdiction in your area.

Could I perform EMT skills while not being employed or on the job? Sure. I still have to perform as prescribed by the medical director of the agency that issued my license.

No longer being an EMT I have to be careful and only do what my current certification allows, though much like security, there might be a circumstance where I say heck with it, I gotta do what I gotta do and live with the fallout.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Quebec law requires all companies to have 1 First Aider on duty per 50 employees. The 16 hour training is provided free. Any other jurisdictions require First Aiders. (OSHA maybe?)

Leave a comment:

• UtahProtectionForce
    replied
    Here in utah, alot of companies use EMT guards, for office buildings....

Rather then hiring an in house EMT , or nurse. for your everday, oh i have a headache, oops i got a papercut... type stuff.

Here there is State level, then National. and youll get paid more as a EMT guard rather then working for a EMS company.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    That's my point. Without a Medical Director on staff of the security firm (or client), having direct medical control of you... You're at best a First Responder and at worst a lay responder with WAY too much knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• BoyInBlue
    replied
    I recently received my EMT-B. The main reason I went for it was simply to add to my resume and impress prospective employers. Also the contract security firm I work for, pays guards more money if they have an EMT cert. (and I think they charge the client more too.)

But what I didn't know was that most of the skills I learned can only be preformed under Medical Direction from an MD. Likewise if you don't have the nessasary equipment and supplies, you can't preform many of your skills.

As far as re-certs... I think I might work for an ambulance company part time to gain experience and meet the required continuing education.

But I have to recomend the trainning overall, it was a great experience

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by PAofficer View Post
    I have had my EMT for years. Here in PA you can renew with con ed and most of that comes from the inter net. That made it alot nicer than the old do or die (pass) recdert test. When I got the chance to interveiw new officer I always looked for EMS / Fire training (along with Security). With training like this it gives you a better understanding of interacting with these agencies when the worst happens. At the least if you have good first aid training you can help keep your partner or even yourself alive till the troops show up. I would love to see a trailor made Security Officer First Aid course offered along the lines of the Secert Service's 5 min medicine training.

Thanks

PAofficer
    There is already a course out there for people who, as part of their professional duties, rescue people and save lives until they are placed into the EMS system.

This course is given to police officers, RN/LPN students prior to clinicals, safety personnel at plants, and a whole slew of other people.

This course is called "First Responder for Professional Rescuers," and includes basic first aid, basic life support, CPR/Recue Breathing, use of the AED, and a few other things.

While one can create a purpose built course for security, it should be on a good solid foundation. Unless the security firm is specifically contracted to be an EMS provider, what good is the EMT-B/I or Para certification when you're not authorized to act as anything more than a Certified First Responder, or possibly a lay first aider by company policy.

There are places, yes, where they require the security force to be the first EMS provider agency. Indeed, there are probably places where the security/EMS force is actually a true EMS agency and transporting to the hospital on/off site.

Leave a comment:

• PAofficer
    replied
    Training is always good.

I have had my EMT for years. Here in PA you can renew with con ed and most of that comes from the inter net. That made it alot nicer than the old do or die (pass) recdert test. When I got the chance to interveiw new officer I always looked for EMS / Fire training (along with Security). With training like this it gives you a better understanding of interacting with these agencies when the worst happens. At the least if you have good first aid training you can help keep your partner or even yourself alive till the troops show up. I would love to see a trailor made Security Officer First Aid course offered along the lines of the Secert Service's 5 min medicine training.

Thanks

PAofficer

Leave a comment:

• craig333
    replied
    Where I work the fire department has excellent response times. Not much need for me to anything other than maybe control bleeding. On the other hand, my hobbies take me where response times are measured in hours. Thats where I like having some training and having my own equipment (basic trauma box). I saw a Jeep roll five times once and no one (other than me) had anything more than bandaids. Luckily he was only slightly injured but its those kind of situations where I'm glad to have some training.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
    Now, I guess you are suggestig the MFR over the EMT? Would that suffice for a security officer? Most of what I'm looking at are GSW/KW, minor assault injuries and the like.
    Yes, that is what I'm suggesting. For a security officer who will not be routinely be working in a clinical environment or providing specific EMS duties for extra compensation I am of the opinion that MFR is more than adaquate. Otherwise the cost in money for classes and time spent certifying and recertifing doesn't add up.
    Also, no one has answered this part yet: Are the certs recognized nationally or are they a state by state issuance? My CPR/AED cards do not indicate either.
    Thanks
    Each state has different requirements. Only 45 states recognize the National Registry certifications and not for all levels (basic, intermediate or paramedic). see- http://www.nremt.org/EMTServices/emt...te_offices.asp
    Here in Louisiana you can take a EMT class at the Votech 2 -4 days a week. Everything from CPR on up is part of the class. No prerequsite. If you pass the class you are able to sit for a National Registry Of EMT written and practical skills test. If you pass the NREMT tast then you can apply for your State EMT certification.
    Also, states may decide which skills they want certain level providers to practice. For instance, Just last year Louisiana EMS began allowing Basics to intubate using Combi-tubes. We also finally got the ability to carry and use Glucometers.
    Of course, local protocals play a big part. Our purchase officer at the steel mill says Combi-tubes are too expensive so we won't have them regardless of our training. Our Nurse states that employees with diabetes should carry their own meter so we won't have those in our kits either.
    Basics in other states have had these skills and tools available for several years.
    You can spend several hundered dollars on tuition, books fees and several weeks or months getting your EMT certification only to have it lapse in 2 years because you are not able to obtain 48 hours of Continuing Education, a 48 hour refresher course and a medical director who can sign off on your paperwork stating that you have been working as an EMT for at least the last 6 months before your renewal. All for an employeer who isn't going to pay you a extra cent for having the cards in your wallet? No thanks.

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    Yes in Australia it depends on how far you are away from medical assistance so on a remote site you may also be the EMT level or industrial first aider due to the number of staff - like a school nurse I guess. I cannot recall the ratio but it was something like 1:50 staff for first level 1st aid and in my case the next level is useless as we have OOO (911) in a matter of minutes.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Well...

Can someone tell me why, unless you are providing Emergency Medical Services under the direction of a Medical Doctor, you would need training beyond First Responder for Professional Rescuer as a security officer?
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I want it simply to get the most training I can.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    I believe the EMT certification is state by state, but some states ALSO require you to be Nationally Registered with a quasi-public body called the National EMS Registry or some such thing.

Can someone tell me why, unless you are providing Emergency Medical Services under the direction of a Medical Doctor, you would need training beyond First Responder for Professional Rescuer as a security officer?

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    All S/O's in Australia must have the compulsory 2 day first aid course which is CPR certified and lasts 3 years only. If you have kept it current you need to look at a 1 day refresher with a pees easy test which some buggers still fail.

I think it was 140 odd hours all up to go to the equivalent of your EMT-B and this was another 40 hours to make it industrial level. For basic 1st aid, the average person receives a $10 US a week allowance but as security officers you get NOTHING. Hence why when it costs me $1k to renew the industrial level training, I let it lapse a few years ago as it was costing me 2 weeks off and I got nothing from it.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X