• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armed Security Work In Florida`

Hello;
    I'm a Florida class "D" license holder and I'm considering getting a "G"
    license.
    Question for the armed people out there............
    What would the likelyhood of a bank mgr. or an apartment
    complex mgr. hiring an armed SO rather than an unarmed?
    I'm also wondering if it would have to be a uniformed post (working for
    an agency) or an uncover possibily?

A bank manager or an apartment complex manager will most likely be hiring a contract security company. You can work, with a D and a G, as an employee of the bank or apartment complex (A W-2 employee), but you may not advertise security services without a Class B Security Company license, a Class M Manager license, and a metric f--- ton of insurance.

Basically, if you're looking at in-house, someone's going to put an ad out for an armed guard. Otherwise, you may or may not be hired in an armed position by a contract security firm.

As far as the uniformed question, Florida defines a "security officer" as a person wearing a uniform who performs guard or patrol services. They may be armed, for a limited duration, but only for specific circumstances, and only under the employee (W-2 employee relationship) of a Class B licensee company or an in-house firm.

So, in other words... If you want to do plain clothes and be armed, you need a Private Investigator's License, which takes 6000 hours of investigative experience or 6000 hours of internship under a current PI.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post

So, in other words... If you want to do plain clothes and be armed, you need a Private Investigator's License, which takes 6000 hours of investigative experience or 6000 hours of internship under a current PI.
      It's 2 years so 4160 roughly. Also as of 1 September 2008, all applicants for a CC license must have completed at the minimum 24 hours of a 40 hour course. The must complete the additional 16 hours within 180 days. Sound Familiar?
      SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

Comment

Its only 2 years now? :|
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Sounds like our new laws for security staff (not armed) 10 day BS course including 2 days 1st aid and being a newbie you have to be a Provisional Licence Holder where you are basically a work experience boy / girl and if your trainer takes a dump onsite you have to go with him as you are under his / her care for 12 months and then assessment on competencies.
          "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
            A bank manager or an apartment complex manager will most likely be hiring a contract security company. You can work, with a D and a G, as an employee of the bank or apartment complex (A W-2 employee), but you may not advertise security services without a Class B Security Company license, a Class M Manager license, and a metric f--- ton of insurance.

Basically, if you're looking at in-house, someone's going to put an ad out for an armed guard. Otherwise, you may or may not be hired in an armed position by a contract security firm.

As far as the uniformed question, Florida defines a "security officer" as a person wearing a uniform who performs guard or patrol services. They may be armed, for a limited duration, but only for specific circumstances, and only under the employee (W-2 employee relationship) of a Class B licensee company or an in-house firm.

Thanks very much for the info.;that will get me going in the right direction.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X