Tool's Every SO Needs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool's Every SO Needs

Here are some Tools that Every SO Needs.

After reading here for a while and since i just recently got posting rights i figure this post is a must have.

1 Written reports and documenting what your doing or have done. I can not stress this enough this will save you more times then you can imagine. I do not mean 3 days later after you get called up to the bosses office. After every incident unless another one pops right up write out a report on what action you took and what actions resulted. Include what occurred and the actions others took or state they took. Make copies submit them and KEEP one for YOUR SELF.

2 Quality Out Side Training with any thing you carry with you while working. A quality training center will not just show you how to use tools and give you a card or certificate. It should also provide you with proper procedures and practices that are effective against resisting opponents and be LEGAL under your state law.

3 Knowledge of the LAW. Speak with an attorney, The shift supervisor of the Department whose jurisdiction you work in. And Your supervisor on what the policies and procedures are for your company. Doing something illegal because it a procedure isn't generally going to protect you from criminal prosecution and Vis versa something something legally under the law won't protect your job if it violates a policy or procedure.
    Ethical Schizophrenia is the substance of heroes. -Frank Rich

Originally posted by mad_malk View Post
    Make copies submit them and KEEP one for YOUR SELF.
    AMEN.

;;;;;;;
    "A good deed’s like pissing yourself in dark pants. Warm feeling but no one notices." - Jacob Taylor

Comment

2 Quality Out Side Training with any thing you carry with you while working. A quality training center will not just show you how to use tools and give you a card or certificate. It should also provide you with proper procedures and practices that are effective against resisting opponents and be LEGAL under your state law.
      I completly agree with this. Here's the issue. In my part of FL there is no training offered except for D and G classes. I'd like to start something where there were other type classes offered (Baton, OC, Taser, PATH, plus some advanced knowledge classes to beef up the stuff taught in D and G such as patrol techniques, weapon retention, MOAB, Suspect Contact, etc). Truthfully though I couldn't do it here in FL. First of all I can't survive on what I'm doing now let alone start a new venture. Besides the crap you have to go through to get a DI and K license isn't worth it IMHO. I'm actually looking at TN right now. Much easier to get the "Certified Trainer" licenses up there. Who knows might be in my future.
      SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

Comment

Originally posted by gcmc security part 2 View Post
        I completly agree with this. Here's the issue. In my part of FL there is no training offered except for D and G classes. I'd like to start something where there were other type classes offered (Baton, OC, Taser, PATH, plus some advanced knowledge classes to beef up the stuff taught in D and G such as patrol techniques, weapon retention, MOAB, Suspect Contact, etc). Truthfully though I couldn't do it here in FL. First of all I can't survive on what I'm doing now let alone start a new venture. Besides the crap you have to go through to get a DI and K license isn't worth it IMHO. I'm actually looking at TN right now. Much easier to get the "Certified Trainer" licenses up there. Who knows might be in my future.
        Talk to your local PD instructors. Trust me most officers rather have some security guards who know how and when to use the stuff on there belt then showing up after the fact. talk tot hem find out who certs them see about arranging a group class for sec guards.

Comment

Already tried, they won't allow SOs to attend any of their courses. Matter of fact when I first looked into getting my OCAT instructor one of the local Sheriff's Departments were offering it. They told me no way jose, I'm just a guard lol. Ah well.

This area is real ignorant when it comes to security. Today I walked into a gun store and was talking to the employee working there. Mentioned I worked security and that I was going to be moving up to TN in a couple months. Asked if I could look at the M&P .40 He tried to slowly explain to me that security could only carry .38s and 9mm. I slowly explained back that the state of TN like most of the states in this great union, don't have a dumb law that restricts what security can carry. (well, technically they do, .38, .357, .40, .45, 9mm, shotgun, I think .380 was in there too can't find the page again). I also explained the need for certification to carry OC, Baton and Taser up there unlike FL. He said FL doesn't have requirements for that because you can't carry them in FL. At that point I thanked him for his time and walked out the door shaking my head.
          SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

Comment

We have state and federal police and another division of wannabe's called APS or Australian Protective Services (no this is no secret service people). APS run some legendary courses for things such as TSA screening, bomb threats, evac planning, and counter-terrorism. Yes you pay a kidney for them but they are priceless. Not anyone can go and spend their minimum $1k US fee to get entry as shock horror, it was found some naughty boys were learning all about CT and using it back in the fatherland or to plan things around the country. With the changing world, class room training is in the past but those new bodies cannot even use a radio let alone respond to an incident without further training down the line.
            "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

gcmc

Have you checked area cop shops? Down here in TX, we have Gt Distributors and they offer various training classes for PD and SO alike. I would look into an option like that.

Comment

Talk to your local PD instructors. Trust me most officers rather have some security guards who know how and when to use the stuff on there belt then showing up after the fact. talk tot hem find out who certs them see about arranging a group class for sec guards.
                Actually, in most of Florida, police departments have the budget to certify... police officers. Security guards are civilians, and therefore a waste of departmental resources to train.

There are several schools in every region (except the panhandle, lol) of Florida that make LOTS of money on training civilians (security personnel, etc.)
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                  Actually, in most of Florida, police departments have the budget to certify... police officers. Security guards are civilians, and therefore a waste of departmental resources to train.

There are several schools in every region (except the panhandle, lol) of Florida that make LOTS of money on training civilians (security personnel, etc.)
                  i don't believe what i said was that they would certify him for free and if it seemed implied then my apologies. He was looking to hire an instructor since there was none in the civilian market i suggest he contact local PD's and or sheriffs office. my intent was to suggest ways to find out about hiring one of there instructors.

Comment

Tools every SO needs:

Good boots/shoes
                    Flashlight
                    Pen
                    Paper
                    Functioning Brain

Everything else is secondary.
                    The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

SO Tools

Radio/cell phone/some way to communicate
                      Flashlight
                      Comfortable footwear
                      Sense of Responsibility
                      Pen/Paper
                      Common Sense

Seems like about it to me. The sidearm, OC, etc are just tools that should be added to shifts that require them...

Comment

Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
                        Tools every SO needs:

Good boots/shoes
                        Flashlight
                        Pen
                        Paper
                        Functioning Brain

Everything else is secondary.
                        Really now? Lets look at your list. Good boot/shoes? what exactly are those? I have some really nice looking high shine shoes are those good ones? what about my really comfortable cowboy boots? Your statement needs clarifying besides if you sit in a chair and work a desk 7 and 1/2 hours every day does good shoes matter? Flashlight ok most places you need one unless they provide alternate light sources your supposed to use. Pen i can agree with that good to always have a pen but not always needed. paper not really especially if you are supposed to write out every thing on a computer like a lot of desk bound people are. You can have the most functioning brain in the world that does not mean you won't make a mistake that can cost you the job or the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
                          Radio/cell phone/some way to communicate
                          Flashlight
                          Comfortable footwear
                          Sense of Responsibility
                          Pen/Paper
                          Common Sense

Seems like about it to me. The sidearm, OC, etc are just tools that should be added to shifts that require them...
                          sense i addressed some of these already i'll hit the new ones. Sense of Responsibility can get you into just as much trouble as apathy if you don't moderate it, Over all it is a good quality that i do like seeing in fellow S/O's.

Common sense is wounder full and it would be nice if every one had it. Since they don't thats why we have post orders.

Comment

madmalk...

I hope your trolling tirade is done...

Really now? Lets look at your list. Good boot/shoes? what exactly are those? I have some really nice looking high shine shoes are those good ones? what about my really comfortable cowboy boots?
                            For some security posting, those are fine. Especially if you sit at a desk the whole time. Your gear still needs to look tip-top, even if no one sees them. It's called a professional appearance. The statement didn't need any clarification. The shoes must fit the job. I am certainly not going to wear my Bates boots to do PPO work and I wouldn't wear wingtips to do foot patrol.

Flashlight ok most places you need one unless they provide alternate light sources your supposed to use.
                            Flashlights are essential. Any Boy Scout knows that. "Be Prepared." You never know when you will need it or when your daytime post hours will get extended and cover a night shift.

paper not really especially if you are supposed to write out every thing on a computer like a lot of desk bound people are.
                            I have never had the luxury of working a security post where I had access to a computer, unless I felt like packing the laptop. Most of the post sites I worked required written reports turned in by shift end.

You can have the most functioning brain in the world that does not mean you won't make a mistake that can cost you the job or the contract.
                            But, it certainly increases your ability to evaluate situations if you have complete mental and cognitive faculties available.

Sense of Responsibility can get you into just as much trouble as apathy if you don't moderate it,
                            re·spon·si·bil·i·ty /rɪˌspɒnsəˈbɪlɪti/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-spon-suh-bil-i-tee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
                            –noun, plural -ties. 1. the state or fact of being responsible.
                            2. an instance of being responsible: The responsibility for this mess is yours!
                            3. a particular burden of obligation upon one who is responsible: the responsibilities of authority.
                            4. a person or thing for which one is responsible: A child is a responsibility to its parents.
                            5. reliability or dependability, esp. in meeting debts or payments.
                            —Idiom6. on one's own responsibility, on one's own initiative or authority: He changed the order on his own responsibility.

It can't get you into trouble if you treat your site as though it were your own personal property. The client certainly benefits from your feeling of accountability. Also, responsibility applies to doing your job in general. Even if you don't want to be there, a responsible SO does the job until able to do otherwise.

Common sense is wounder full and it would be nice if every one had it. Since they don't thats why we have post orders.
                            Post orders some times are not sufficient. The common sense must also stretch all the way up the chain of command. If your supers don't have it, then your post orders are ineffective. You must also posess the ability to evaluate them. For example, many post orders use general ideas in the instructions. Sometimes, you may have to make a judgement call as to what must exactly be done. Additionally, common sense can prevent an officer from getting dead. If you are told to remove all unecessary persons from an apartment complex, it is obviously not a very sensible idea to come off like a prick to a large group of loiterers. You must speak with respect and still command authority. That requires common sense.

Comment

Here is something to think about, not trying to be a troll just looking at things a little from the other side of the box

- What is Common Sense? -

is common sense really all that common? is my common sense and your common sense the same? It should be right? but what if its not? then whose sense really is common? mine or yours?

Things that make you go - Hmmmmm....

I would argue that one should use good sense not commmon sense beacuse ther really is no such thing as common sense. Good sense comes form good training and practice. Some one mentioned Post Orders - this is another place that good sense comes from - where if (and some times that is a big if) all the officers on a particular site read and adhear to them, they would all have the same good sense; hopefully - it is not always so. If the Post Orders are open to to much inturpratation (sp) then there is a failure in the Good sense rule and we all go back to have uncommon sense.

Just a rumination from an abstract mind. I believe that Good Sense is a tool that every SO should have.
                              Last edited by LiveNlearn; 01-06-2008, 11:01 PM.
                              Wisdom - Having a lot to say, but knowing when to keep it to yourself.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X