Security License

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security License

Mods please feel free to move this topic if this is not the correct section of the forum.

My question is does anybody have a link to a list of the states in America that require a unarmed security guard license and also the amount of training needed?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Security Mike; 01-15-2008, 01:27 AM.

Actually Mike I would like to know the same thing myself (being from Australia) as these seems to be a "spin the wheel and pick a law mentality" over various counties and even states in the USA - which is very confusing to us non-yanks.
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

hard to say depending on where you wanna go. Many states, counties and cities can be different. Take Mobile, AL for an example. AL doesn't require a license. County of Mobile requires a pistol permit for armed officers, nothing else. City of Mobile requires a general guard card for all officers. Guard Card is issued by the PD in the name of the company, so therefore if you leave the company you are working for you have to go back to the pd and get a new card.
      SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

Comment

CCW is company based and again if you leave you need to explain to the Police Commissioner again. Same as concealed licences - you need to display yours at waist or chest high on duty and permission needs to obtained to work without a licence (ie. LP, club security and CPP).

Comment

California requires unarmed guards to have 40 hours training in their first year of registration. 8 hours each year after that.

Armed guards require even more training and need to requalify twice a year.

Comment

wish we had that here in Texas. about 8 hours uncommissioned, then 30 for commissoned. and to requaliy- all you have to do is the range test.
            "Complexity is easy; simplicity is difficult."
            -Georgy Shpagin, mentor to M. Kalashnikov

Comment

The requirement in Calif has improved for those who have taken and maintained their training. Their are still lots of people who are working with no license'es because their is so little enforcement of the security codes. Their are also lot's of so called security schools that sell permits and will sign you off even if you cannot qualify. I know a company that sells all your training permits without even attending any classes. For what it's worth I inform employers that Im state trained and state licensed. What that says is I attended and passed my training requiements and have maintained my training. The firearm training needs to be longer and have more tatics and officer safety involed. For those that really want to know what they are doing they need to attend a good combat shooting school.

Comment

Originally posted by ESI AGENT View Post
                For those that really want to know what they are doing they need to attend a good combat shooting school.
                I am a firm believer that the above is so true. Any clown can shoot a gun at a paper target and score big. But in no way will that same person be worth a dam when the target shoots back. I have had and fired all sorts of weapons since I was 7 and basic instinct is more valuable than any range training.

Sure the instructor may have been a medal of honor winner and train you how to hit a fixed target but I guarantee when the dirt flies up around you or the branches fall off tree above you he won't be able to help you out with that. When I attended combat school we had Tanks firing and machine guns shooting continuously over our heads. Soon you will put that distraction out of your mind and focus on your objective.

The truth is that in most cases if you fire first as a security person then you will be in deep stuff. If you are going to panic or freeze then maybe an armed position is not for you.
                THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Perhaps you should consider purchasing a 7 pack of undies for when it suddenly hits you in the face. Too many times I have seen people fly in or heard stories of people making purely stupid moves they would not if they were not working security duties.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X