Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FEMA FETC Online Courses?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FEMA FETC Online Courses?

    Does anyone have any famliarization with the FEMA FETC Online Courses, and if any would be useful in the private security industry?
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

    "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

  • #2
    FLETC On-Line Training

    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    Does anyone have any famliarization with the FEMA FETC Online Courses, and if any would be useful in the private security industry?
    I assume that you are talking about the courses offered at this site:

    https://www.dcmsnet.org/dcmsvc/default.asp

    I have taken many of these courses; not just the security and law enforcement ones. I have found them to very valuable in my career.

    It costs $150 for a yearly subscription, but that is actually cheap for all the training you can receive. Take a look at the course catalog. They offer training in the security field, general law enforcement, IT, and business courses. In some cases you might be able to qualify for tuition reimbursement through your company, if they offer such a program.

    If have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask.

    Comment


    • #3
      FETCor NETC?

      Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
      Does anyone have any famliarization with the FEMA FETC Online Courses, and if any would be useful in the private security industry?
      I know of the NETC at FEMA but not the FETC.
      I went to www.FEMA.gov and could not find it.

      I have taken several on-line courses at EMI.
      They are mostly for Emergency responders but the content is applicable to other areas.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ACP01
        I know of the NETC at FEMA but not the FETC.
        I went to www.FEMA.gov and could not find it.

        I have taken several on-line courses at EMI.
        They are mostly for Emergency responders but the content is applicable to other areas.
        ACP01 got it. NETC. I think I misread it, as it started on NFA page.

        http://virtualcampus.fema.gov/learni...ndall/Main.asp

        I'm taking a few courses, just to learn a few overreaching things like ICS. I think ICS may be useful for security companies that have to deal with high profile places. Its good that the supervisors, even the officers, working at ports, malls, and other large gathering points understand what will be going on around them, how to set up ICS, and how to transfer control of an already setup ICS to Fire once it arrives.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

        "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
          ACP01 got it. NETC. I think I misread it, as it started on NFA page.

          http://virtualcampus.fema.gov/learni...ndall/Main.asp

          I'm taking a few courses, just to learn a few overreaching things like ICS. I think ICS may be useful for security companies that have to deal with high profile places. Its good that the supervisors, even the officers, working at ports, malls, and other large gathering points understand what will be going on around them, how to set up ICS, and how to transfer control of an already setup ICS to Fire once it arrives.
          It would most definately benifit. (excuse the spelling, I got off my 24hr FD shift, grabbed about 3hrs sleep then went out on a security detail...need a sleepy smiley in this spot).

          I htink we had a short discussion on another thread about this too but it is a good subject to go over.

          This is just a for instance.... You have probably seen on the news about the coal miners deaths here in WV last month, well If you saw it on TV you can imagine what the security for something like that would be. I wasn't involved but I do know that there was WV State Police, county sherriffs, FD, EMS, State mine types, Fed mine types, Mine Rescue from who knows where all, vioctims families, news media from all over (even heard therer was foreign), mine officials, the SO company hired by the mines....etc

          If there was not some form of ICS it would have been a complete chaos.
          Just to narrow it down to the Emergency Services (including SOs) you are talking about 30 or more people from FD, LE, EMS and security. Each group had a seperate responsibility but it would all still have towork together to make foran efficiaent operation. This requires a command system that all are trained in and can operate under.
          Say if the SOs were not trained and they are expected to take an active part in the operation even if ti is just maintaining security on the rest of the mine site. They have to be in the loop beacuse of all the traffic in and out of the site PLUS helping to direct all the people that have to get to certain sections (ie hole drilling team) withoput getting lost. The SP, FD and EMS don't know where the roads go on a mine site.

          Anyway you can getmy drift. I am speaking as someone that has used the ICS for years.

          EMI also has some good communication classes, decision making, and others that are applicable to security.

          Started out as 2cents but I ended up throwing in the whole dime.

          Comment


          • #6
            Sleep. You can edit it later to remove sleepy statements. That's what I figured.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

            "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by histfan71
              I assume that you are talking about the courses offered at this site:

              https://www.dcmsnet.org/dcmsvc/default.asp

              I have taken many of these courses; not just the security and law enforcement ones. I have found them to very valuable in my career.

              It costs $150 for a yearly subscription, but that is actually cheap for all the training you can receive. Take a look at the course catalog. They offer training in the security field, general law enforcement, IT, and business courses. In some cases you might be able to qualify for tuition reimbursement through your company, if they offer such a program.

              If have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask.
              How in depth are these courses? I know you said that you found them valuable but how was the study program. I am looking into this for some of my jr managers on my larger accounts.

              Thanks,
              www.oramsecurity.com

              Comment


              • #8
                I was referring to the NETC links, which are free and by FEMA itself, it looks like.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

                "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                  I was referring to the NETC links, which are free and by FEMA itself, it looks like.
                  I know the ones you were talking about. I have all ready done a few and you are right about being free.
                  www.oramsecurity.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by SgtUSMC8541
                    How in depth are these courses? I know you said that you found them valuable but how was the study program. I am looking into this for some of my jr managers on my larger accounts.

                    Thanks,
                    It depends on the course, but most of them were very in-depth and extensive.

                    From the top of my head, the courses in the Investigatory Procedures and Fundamentals of Law Enforcement categories were just overviews and the information presented was pretty basic. They still provided good information though. Someone who is new to law enforcement will get more out of those courses than a trained and experienced street cop would.

                    The courses in the Advanced Subjects in Law Enforcement and the Emergency Preparedness categories were all excellent and extensive.

                    All the courses in the Security Profession category were in-depth and universally excellent.

                    The management and leadership courses in the Business Skills and Business and Professional Development categories were hit or miss, but all provided valuable training, some just more so than others.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This sounds definately more than the FEMA IMS course.
                      Some Kind of Commando Leader

                      "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        http://www.training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/crslist.asp

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Szorcsik001
                          Hmm, different badge number. I think we have more from Davis002's agency, perhaps the owner himself.

                          Thanks for the link. Its already in my favorites list.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

                          "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                          Comment

                          Leaderboard

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X