OC training tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC training tips

I'm getting some OC training tomorrow. What should I expect?

Also, I've been told I have the option of either getting sprayed myself, or watching someone else get sprayed on video. I'll probably elect to get sprayed myself, assuming they have sudecon wipes or something else available to neutralize the effects (I'd like to be able to drive home immediately following training).

1. Does OC come out of clothing easily? I don't want to feel the effects of OC everytime I put on the shirt I wear to training.
    2. What does it feel like to be OC'ed?

Get sprayed and make sure it's documented and recorded. That way if you do ever spray someone, 1) you know how they are feeling and will take a small amount of pity on them and 2) if you spray someone and it goes to litigation, it'll make it easier to defend the fact that you sprayed them for a reason and you're not just some "spray-happy" guy who doesn't know or care what kind of pain you'll be putting someone in.
    As for tips, suck it up and remember it won't kill you, depending on what kind of spray is used, you'll probably rather that you were shot, but remember: THE PAIN WILL GO AWAY sometime. Those decon wipes didn't help me at all, actually they smelled just like the pepper spay and it made me gag.
    Pepper spray affects people differently, we just had training for our company and one of the guys wasn't affected by it at all. My experience with it is that it hurts, very badly, and feels like your face is melting off. Even if you get to close your eyes and plug your nose, it still gets in those orifices somehow. But like I said, it depends on the person. Good luck, have fun, remember to breath, and remember the pain will go away.
    Oh yea, the best decon for it is probably this; flush your face with water for a few minutes, walk around preferably into a strong wind or put your face in front of a fan until the water is almost all dried off, then repeat. Baby shampoo helps a little while in the shower and to get it out of your hair, just remember to wash bending over or you'll get reactivated OC on your happy place. As for the clothing, use a normal wash cycle and soap, the OC will wash right out if it doesn't, just rewash. Don't forget to wash your clothes though, it will stay in the fabric.

Comment

For me, OC hurt like hell. When you decontaminate, be sure to dab on baby shampoo, DO NOT RUB. Rubbing will only make it worse. It will be a natural reaction to try to rub the OC out of your eyes, don't do that either
      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

look, no matter what you do..... its gonna suck.

When I did my re-cert for instructor I brought a snorkel so I could keep my face underwater in the bucket without coming up for air. Much better.

The bucket was made in China... at least thats what the bottom of it said.

What the others have said is spot on.
        www.oramsecurity.com

Comment

Well, it didn't happen.

Apparently I was the first person in the history of the company (about 30 officers have gone through the OC class) to actually volunteer to be OC'ed. This caught them off guard - not only did they not have a bucket, but we were also unable to locate an outside water tap on the building.

Instead we got to watch videos taped in the 80s/early 90s of other people being sprayed.

They will, however, be ready for me next month. Hopefully.

Comment

I would get OC sprayed as soon as you can. A benefit of this is not only can you testify to what it feels like, but if you are armed, you could potentially use lethal force against someone who gets your OC off your belt if you can testify to the fact that it is incapacitating to you.
            "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
            "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Another reason to get sprayed is to assure yourself that you can still fight after getting a faceful. If you spray a violent person and have to wrestle with them, you will get contaminated. More likely though, your partner will spray you and you will still have to function.
              Jerry
              http://personalprotectionconcepts.info

Comment

I'm going through the OC class next week. anybody know how much the permit cost in California? and also the baton.

Comment

OK, lots of good info!

I really didnt want to re-write it all, but here is a summarization of OC, and if you have nay more questions, let me know!

http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...ead.php?t=1115

Enjoy!
                  Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Just wanted to report back. I finally got sprayed recently - Fox Labs 2% (5.3 million SHU) was sprayed directly into my eyes from 4 feet away for a full second.

It wasn't as bad as everyone here was saying. I have stomach aches a few times a year that hurt a lot more.

Can't wait to get tased!

Comment

Are you guys freakin' insane? I realize that I'm in the minority here, but why would you suggest that he get sprayed knowing how painful it is when he has the option to get certified without getting sprayed?

Comment

Originally posted by tattedupboy View Post
                        Are you guys freakin' insane? I realize that I'm in the minority here, but why would you suggest that he get sprayed knowing how painful it is when he has the option to get certified without getting sprayed?
                        If you were asked by defense counsel, "Do you know how much that hurt my client and don't you think its use is tantamount to excessive force?" You can answer with a straight face, "Sir as part of my training, I was sprayed and know how irritating it is. It represents less than lethal force and since your client did not obey my lawful commands, I deemed it appropriate at the time to calm your client down rather than use a night stick. As soon as your client was restrained, I carefully washed his face to lessen the lingering effects of the chemical spray." The latter portion of that answer indicates you are a compassionate person who tries to mitigate unnecessary suffering and anguish.
                        Normally those types of answers will defuse that line of questioning.
                        Enjoy the day,
                        Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock View Post
                          If you were asked by defense counsel, "Do you know how much that hurt my client and don't you think its use is tantamount to excessive force?" You can answer with a straight face, "Sir as part of my training, I was sprayed and know how irritating it is. It represents less than lethal force and since your client did not obey my lawful commands, I deemed it appropriate at the time to calm your client down rather than use a night stick. As soon as your client was restrained, I carefully washed his face to lessen the lingering effects of the chemical spray." The latter portion of that answer indicates you are a compassionate person who tries to mitigate unnecessary suffering and anguish.
                          Normally those types of answers will defuse that line of questioning.
                          Enjoy the day,
                          Bill
                          Maybe so, but you don't need to be sprayed with it in order to know that it is painful. Again, the author of this thread mentioned that he also had the option of watching video of someone getting sprayed.

Comment

Originally posted by tattedupboy View Post
                            Maybe so, but you don't need to be sprayed with it in order to know that it is painful. Again, the author of this thread mentioned that he also had the option of watching video of someone getting sprayed.
                            Videos don't really have the same effect, especially when they were filmed in the 80s (the state is FINALLY updating the mandated training videos and filming this year). It's one thing to see it happen, but to actually experience it was something else.

It definitely boosted my confidence and made me respect my weapon more.

Besides, now I won't feel as guilty if I have to use lethal force against a suspect armed with OC (depending on situation, of course)

Comment

What to look forward to......
                              Pain and a burning sensation. The burning hurts for some time. Bring a extra shirt because the one you wear will be discolored, red/orange and wet. spend lots of time under running water. If there is a breeze, look into it. It sucked big time, but required. Enjoy!

Be Safe,

Hank
                              " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X