Took and completed FEMA's NIMS IC 100,200,700 & 800 today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took and completed FEMA's NIMS IC 100,200,700 & 800 today

That's a lot of reading in one day but finished them all and passed all the tests. *whew*

*pats self on back*

Little bored were we?

Comment

How did you not fall asleep?
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Yeah, I was a little bored, and I stayed awake with Mt. Dew.

Comment

Unfortunately, it's possible to dash through the FEMA courses without actually completing the work that they presume people will do, such as researching for the answers to questions and exercises after each section pertaining to the EM problems, plans, annexes to plans, and resources within your area. So, people read the book, skipping the exercises, etc., and then they take a 25-question open-book untimed multiple-choice test consisting mostly of direct quotes out of the text that I have never heard of anyone flunking (how could anyone flunk when they can just flip back through the material to get the answers?). This is not really how the FEMA courses were intended to be taken, but I know that many do this.

If a student takes these courses properly and completes all the work assignments (which is where almost all of their real training value lies), it would not be possible to do any of these courses, let alone all of them, in one day. For instance, at the end of Unit One of IS-700, there is a list of 13 questions pertaining to the student's jurisdiction, at least four of which could require several hours to research...and that's just one unit, of just one of the courses.

Altogether, these courses represent hours and hours of real work. I can testify to this because I was fortunate enough (although I didn't think so at the time) to have taken them as requirements within university courses in emergency management, and so we had to do these assignments and turn them in for grading. It was long, hard slogging, finding out who we have mutual aid agreements with, and then finding out if all of the agencies have communication interoperability, etc...and there are hundreds of such assignments scattered throughout the Professional Development Series alone. On the plus side, you really understand the EM picture in your area when you're done with all that, and you've also met a lot of people in the EM community as well (hint...networking!).

There's no point in taking the courses and not doing the work, and a number of us have recommended to FEMA/DHS that the courses be revised so that the work is mandatory, which I understand is at least being considered.

I'm building some courses now for the security officer's academy around some of the same material, but....

1. The tests will be 100 questions (essay as well as multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank, and matching questions) and one case study or problem that the student must analyze and make recommendations to solve.

2. Tests will be proctored (not open-book).

3. People won't be able to blow off the assignments, exercises and drills (the student will have to get answers from the local EM authority and also provide proof that he's participated in/observed actual EM exercises. We will help him make the necessary contacts to do so).

I applaud the initiative of anyone wanting to take the FEMA courses, but I do suggest that they do all of the assignments to get the real value out of the training.
          Last edited by SecTrainer; 04-18-2007, 04:28 PM.
          "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by Chimpie
            That's a lot of reading in one day but finished them all and passed all the tests. *whew*

*pats self on back*
            Congrts you lil monkey.
            Attached Files
            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
            http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky
              Congrts you lil monkey.
              Uh-oh...didn't Howard Cosell get fired for that?

Comment

Not sure if it was in the same context but never the less Howard was to say at least interesting. I was watching the GBPackers game when they cut to him on the sidelines in -0 weather and old Howard passed out on camera. They said it was due to the cold but I think not(Chug Chug)
                THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky
                  Not sure if it was in the same context but never the less Howard was to say at least interesting. I was watching the GBPackers game when they cut to him on the sidelines in -0 weather and old Howard passed out on camera. They said it was due to the cold but I think not(Chug Chug)
                  He was interesting, and I remember that incident too. No, I don't think Howard was feeling the cold at all.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X