Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of Force - SOP, Training, Etc.

Some questions for the group:

What Use of Force training have you recieved? What materials were covered? Was there a hands-on segement demonstrating any concepts (instructor on instructor)? Was there a hands-on segement to familiarize students with concepts (student on student / student on instructor)?

What types of force was covered in the course? Was apprehension covered? Was escape covered?

What types of verbal skills were covered in the course? Verbal Judo? Empathic skills, etc?

Does your company have a Standard Operating Procedure for Use of Force? Does it cover weapons other than firearms? Does it cover "Weapons of Opportunity" such as flashlights and guard clocks?
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier

What Use of Force training have you recieved?

Was escape covered?

What types of verbal skills were covered in the course? Verbal Judo? Empathic skills, etc?
    We are taught to listen empathetically, not interrupt, and allow the angry person to talk himself out. We also stay out of arms reach while doing so and always try to have an escape way nearby. Of course, this option is employed when the individual is still able to control himself or herself physically. When body language indicates that an attack is imminent, or the person has a weapon, we are required to retreat if possible and summon the police. If escape is not possible or the subject is inflicting serious bodily harm to anyone else, then we are permitted to use whatever force is necessary for defense and to allow for escape.

When it comes to corporate security, which is what I do, the best defense is to NEVER allow access to the reception area unless you are sure that it's an employee, expected visitor, normal contractor, etc.

Obviously, most of our techniques are not feasible when you are required to confront, detain and/or arrest a suspect. Since I prefer unarmed security, I simply avoid employment at sites where such encounters are likely.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

A few years ago I took a 40 hour course in PPCT. I believe that stands for "pressure points compliance tactics" or something. There was material covered in levels of force, basic come-a-long holds, handcuffing, and applying the tip of the thumb to pain points while giving verbal commands. There were two additional PPCT courses in oc spray where we all got sprayed and an extendable baton course.
      I had training before that in martial arts jkd, jujitsu, and thai boxing.
      Later on I also took a baton course from an asp instructor and at one company I worked for I got some non-certified training in straight stick and PR-24 from a sergeant there who used to work for the LAPD.
      That and, of course, the handgun certification required for the state commission.

In application, I found the PPCT to be sound in basic principle, but the thumb point applications were pretty much useless. The officers we had who were rash enough to try to apply those got their hands slapped away and the crap beaten out of them. They were also useless against suspects who were intoxicated or on drugs, which became the case 40% of the time when I worked in apartment complexes.
      The handcuffing maneuvers were somewhat, but not completely successful because no suspect would cooperate with the hands behind the upper back palms up position and we had to apply more active parries, wristlocks, and armbars. The ensuing struggle with a suspect became a lot more prolonged if we used the PPCT handcuffing application verbatim.

The curriculum I currently employ uses some principles from PPCT, but relies more on "physics" than "compliance". Mobile footwork is emphasized in both an open standing position and an angular "bladed" interview stance. Hand positions and body position is used to cover the "centerline" as well as the "four gates" (quadrants on each corner of the body). Awareness of the "seven points" and their respective intent is emphasized - these include two hands, two feet, two elbows, and the head. Awareness of the position of all these points on a person will prepare you to defeat the person's intent.

Hands-on techniques employ a lot of the same come-a-long holds and wristlocks and armbars, but "flow" between positions is emphasized to defeat active non-compliance rather than the use of nerve pinching. Arm and leg immobilization is also used, as well as leg scoops and takedowns. Striking is generally a no-no, but palm pressing with kinetic energy does have practical applications. Each practical application does not take any more than 3 seconds to execute.

The practice starts with basic drilling, applying a simple technique several hundred times on a willing training partner. It then graduates to drilling with fluid momentum, drilling with resistance, and finally practice in a "sparring" situation within the training group and against actual fighters of other systems - boxers, grapplers, karate practitioners, etc in a free-sparring environment. A properly trained practitioner will ultimately be able to overcome resistance from these trained fighters and be able to place handcuffs on them without using punches or destructive kicks or maiming techniques. Additional challenges are added if the room is flooded with oc spray or a gun and baton are worn on the belt to make active retention necessary. This, of course, is only for the most fit and prepared practitioners.

This system effectively combines police use-of-force curriculum with martial arts tactics.
      "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
        ....Does your company have a Standard Operating Procedure for Use of Force?
        I might add that their SOP boils down to this: If you make the company look good, you're a hero! Otherwise, YOU'RE FIRED!!

PS: Regarding the latter outcome, get yourself a good defense attorney.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Rrr

That's the extent of our use of force training
          Run- away......and fast!

Radio- while you're running, hopefully they can't catch you before the cops get to your location

Relax- your butth*&e after the cops get there and take the BG away!

Comment

A few months ago we had a MOAB class (Methods of Aggresive Behavior) Has anyone else had this, and if you did what do you think of it? This week we will be training in the use of pepper spray as well. N. A. Corbier I love your quote at the bottom of your posts. After 13 years as a Security Officer all I can say is Aint that the truth!

Comment

The basic contents of use of force training over here is defined by government,but how it is done depends entirely on the instructor.
              The last training i went to was my OC certification course.We had classroom studies for couple of hours regarding the laws,contents of the spray,first aid after spraying etc. ending in a multiple choice test.Then we got to the good stuff of scenario training First target practise with stream-water sprays followed by one-on-one basic defensive scenario followed by two-on-one with multiple unknowns in the vicinity.All done in full rigs&uniform and using alcohol based inert sprays. Good times were had by all I dont think i have ever practise with a partner who hadnt been instructed to resist, made handcuff training really interesting

As far as policy goes, so long as you dont get convicted its good enough for the company

FoxGhost
              Shoplifters will be shot.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X