No announcement yet.

Recommended security fitness standards?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended security fitness standards?

A couple of years ago I had a chart of recommended security physical fitness, with the number of sit ups, push ups, etc. broken down by age groups and gender. It was not department or state specific. My passive aggressive boss on that job threw away / erased my files, and I can't remember what organization or site I got it from. Hoping someone can help me out here and reduce my search time. Any help is appreciated.

Are you talking about the Coopers standard?

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
      A couple of years ago I had a chart of recommended security physical fitness, with the number of sit ups, push ups, etc. broken down by age groups and gender. It was not department or state specific. My passive aggressive boss on that job threw away / erased my files, and I can't remember what organization or site I got it from. Hoping someone can help me out here and reduce my search time. Any help is appreciated.
      Setting physical standards for security guards as a whole is a lot different than setting standards for law enforcement, because security jobs are a lot more varied than law enforcement. While in LE there are certain tasks that all officers can be expected to perform (short run, arrest someone, carry a body, etc...) that doesn't exist for security. There are some positions where guards will never be required or expected to do any of those.

Also, keep in mind that courts and tribunals generally look at security guards as being the same as any other "civilian" occupation and frown on requirements that go above and beyond what is normally required for a "civilian" job, whether it be physical standards, hiring background checks, etc.. You may expect your guards to arrest shoplifters, for example, but a tribunal might find that the guard can simply call the police. Similarly, you might want your guard to be standing instead of sitting for appearance purposed, but unless you can provide a bona fide reason why the guard needs to be standing to do the job effectively, you can be seen as discriminating against people who can't stand for long periods.

Comment

Very similar to the Cooper Standard (most likely based off of it), but simplified - essentially minimum fitness standards for men and women by age group. As I recall it was just push ups, sit ups, pull ups and probably one or two running standards. It was for the "average" security officer (whatever that is).

The context of the discussion that reminded me of it was a proposal where you get a small yearly bonus for meeting or exceeding the physical requirements. (A lot of the local PD have it.) If it was approved I don't imagine it would be too rigorous given the diversity of our staff (who, to their credit, are all reasonably fit).

Most companies here spell out the requirements in their ads - generally, you must be able to lift 20 lbs., carry a fire extinguisher or first aid kit up to the top flight of stairs (depending on the site), and be able to stand or walk a certain number of hours per shift.
        Last edited by Condo Guard; 04-23-2018, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Ive never heard of that. Maybe for an armored car guard, which I have tested for that and is a bit more than I expected. But for a security guard position, I havent encountered any position that required all that. Sure, in the job posting it will say you need to be able to XYZ, but each job Ive had I sat on my butt. One exception nation wide I could think of is mall security, which is sub $10/hr last time I checked. That may require more of an physical aspect where sitting is at a bare minimum.

with a civil service position, such as my state, we havr a general physical test to go through. However, its the exact same or slightly varied from other titles, including non uniformed jobs.

The bonus may be an incentive for everyone to stay in shape. I surely would have not let myself get so heavy if something like that was in place. Its rough when sitting 12 hrs a day.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X