What does your state require?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does your state require?

I poked around a bit and didn't see anything that answered this question, so what training does your state require? I recently got back into armed security in Texas and our training has changed immensely since the last time I carried a weapon at work. Now, instead of just a few hours of Texas Penal Code in the classroom and some range time, we take conflict resolution/deescalation,handcuffing, baton, weaponless defense (in our case, Wing Chun), firearms training, and even more Texas Penal Code. I think it has gone a long way toward improving the image most people, and especially LEO's, have of security personnel.

So...what does your state require of you?
    A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

"My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

My province (Ontario) requires you to take a training course that lasts approx 5 days. There's no specific course, but must cover the curriculum required by the gov't. In addition, you have to have completed an Emergency First Aid+CPR course (1 day). You need to take a test at the DMV (approx CAD$60) and then apply for a security license ($80). To get the license you can't have been convicted of certain crimes; if you have been convicted of other crimes, the gov't can require you to sit at a hearing and "plead your case" if you want to get your license.

Comment

For the life of me, I can't figure out why our commissioned officers aren't required to at least have First Aid/CPR/AED.

I also forgot, our EP/PPO guys have to go through state-mandated "tactical" shooting as well as an MMPI.
      A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

"My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

Comment

Yes, Condo is resurrecting one from 11 years ago - sorry, Soper. We had an incident where a woman may have had a serious medical issue (turned out, thankfully, she was OK). The contract guard for the store just stood and watched the manager deal with it. The manager, in turn, called us. Another contract guard just looked at the woman but didn't act, although she did contact us also.

We're in house and are required to have basic adult / child First Aid / CPR (a 6 to 8 hour class, depending on whether it is new guards or a refresher). Our state recommends contract guards have first aid training, but it is clear to me that it isn't required. At minimum, all guards should have training in when and how to call 911. If it had been serious, there was time lost in standing around. It also reinforces the stereotypes of guards not being competent.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X