Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is The Best Training That You Have Had? What Training Do You Really Want To Get?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is The Best Training That You Have Had? What Training Do You Really Want To Get?

https://forums.securityinfowatch.com...55-hi-everyone

In Post # 6 of the thread referenced above, Condo Guard states "...get all the training you can, and go in house." That got me to wondering the following:

-What Is The Best Training That You Have Ever Had?

-What Training Do You Really Want To Attend?

I work with a number of guys that really into firearms. Sure, I like guns, too, but at some point years ago I decided that I wanted more than just that.

One of the best that I have done recently was the Executive Protection Course from the Alamo Area Regional Law Enforcement Academy. No, I didn't travel to Texas. They do bring their "show on the road". It was a week of just doing EP stuff. A couple of days were just behind the wheel. I have never had formal training before on EP, so this was great stuff to learn.

The other great training I had a couple of years ago was EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operators Course). It was about an hour and a half of classroom and the rest was a "four wheel" classroom. Sure, I have been driving for over 40 years, but this class gave me an opportunity to do some things that I don't do everyday.

So, let's hear it, what is the best training you have had and what do you really want to attend?

Is your employer good about sending you to training? Do they pay for it, do you pay for it, or something else? Is your motivation for training because there is a "gap" at your current job, to be a springboard to move up at your current place, or to move out and get a job elsewhere?

i took all the training i could get as a ff, from medic, haz mat, high angle rescue to confined spaces. i often attended out of state training on my own dime and time off.

as a reservist i was deployed twice and activated multiple times for hurricanes and floods.

i like training...just should have kept my emt up, security guard and ems goes together well.

Comment

Originally posted by wascaptain View Post
      i took all the training i could get as a ff, from medic, haz mat, high angle rescue to confined spaces. i often attended out of state training on my own dime and time off.

as a reservist i was deployed twice and activated multiple times for hurricanes and floods.

i like training...just should have kept my emt up, security guard and ems goes together well.
      If you were an EMT why not get a job as a CNA or Tech in a Hospital ER? Lots of those jobs and flexible schedules.

Comment

yo tom,
        i need a badge, i miss a badge...

just joking, them types of jobs take going back to school and they are young people jobs. technology has past me by

to me, i got security guard written all over me. thats what i want to do.

you could say i am a security guard want to be!

thanks tom and be safe sir

Comment

Originally posted by wascaptain View Post
          yo tom,
          i need a badge, i miss a badge...

just joking, them types of jobs take going back to school and they are young people jobs. technology has past me by

to me, i got security guard written all over me. thats what i want to do.

you could say i am a security guard want to be!

thanks tom and be safe sir

Ok but that badge wont even get you a free cup of joe. Probably be a patch anyway. Of course at my gig I don't get a uniform, patch or badge. I like it that way.
          When I worked at the hospital there was quite a few current and retired FD/EMT that worked tech in the ER.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Horn View Post

Ok but that badge wont even get you a free cup of joe. Probably be a patch anyway. Of course at my gig I don't get a uniform, patch or badge. I like it that way.
            When I worked at the hospital there was quite a few current and retired FD/EMT that worked tech in the ER.
            I really don't like the idea of security having a badge unless they're sworn in some capacity. I don't think it makes security less of a job than law enforcement, just a different one. Most other "civilian" occupations (doctor, lawyer, accountant, teacher, etc...) don't use badges, and that doesn't make them lesser jobs either.

Comment

i hear ya boys on the badge thing. i should have said the feeling of being a protector, sort to speak.

i always liked to help peeps.

talking about a free cup of joe, i do miss the half price lunches when on duty. not to mention the cookie drop offs from the neighbor hood moms.

i have been offered different jobs over the years, but i feel a security guard position would fill my needs.

thanks again guys, be safe

Comment

Best free training was a FEMA course at the local fire dept. for entry level CERT (Community Emergency Response Team). You didn't have to join or take further training; like they said, in a disaster if you can just take care of yourself & your immediate family, you've already helped. The simulated earthquake we did was a real eye opener. Citizens Academy at the local PD was also good - when you understand how the police operate, especially dispatch, you interact with them more effectively when you have to. It was also a chance to find out what kind of crimes were going on in the city, and some good crime prevention tips.

First Aid / CPR training is a good thing to have - your local fire dept. or community college should have a one or two day course for under $100 - looks good on the resume besides the practical benefit. (And a lot of companies are requiring their guards and even maintenance people to have it.)

I recommend unarmed self defense training from a reputable vendor but that's where the $$ come in. The place we took ours was $300 per person at the time for 16 hrs. (8 hrs. a day for two days). One year when the budget was tight the co. paid 1/2 and the guard paid 1/2 - everyone who took it said it was well worth it.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X